Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Roy Jones: Canelo is Not Big Enough To Stay at 175, It's Not His Weight Class

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Roy Jones: Canelo is Not Big Enough To Stay at 175, It's Not His Weight Class

Former four division world champion Roy Jones Jr. knows a lot about moving up in weight. Jones captured his first world title at middleweight, then super middleweight, became unified at light heavyweight - and then in 2003 made history by jumping all the way to heavyweight to win a twelve round decision over John Ruiz to capture the WBA world title.
    [Click Here To Read More]

He will wait for a vacant title, for their 3% of 40 million the commission will give him the weakest opponent they can and bam. He does it again.

Comment

After he beat Kovalev everyone said that he would have ko'd hagler and hopkins at mw and would have beat Tarver at 175. Now he's too small. FOH..

Comment

These guys should just shut their mouths. Where was all this wisdom BEFORE the fight. Now they are all geniuses. The boxing fraternity is really f ' ed up.
        SteveM likes this.

Comment

Roy kinda right ,canelo should've stayed at 168 ,on the other side cant blame alvarez for stepping up against one of the top guys at LHW no warm up weight conditioning fight,went for the champ directly,got his ass handed to him but took it like a man and probably want to do it again,real champ
          Motofan and Boxviewer like this.

Comment

Nah... This is a guy who claims to spar heavyweights in the gym, was prepared to fight Makabu at cruiserweight and was telling Hearn he was willing to fight Usyk at a 201lb catchweight! Canelo can make the 175lb limit comfortably and has fought there before so no excuses can be made when he loses in said division.

All those people who claim Canelo has height and reach disadvantages at 175lb are totally wrong. When he fought Callum Smith at 168lb, Smith was 6 foot 3 and had a eight inch reach advantage over Canelo, yet the fight wasn't competitive. Canelo in theory should in the same way, be able to fight opponents at 175lb with height and reach advantages over him but he can't because Light heavy is a significantly stronger division than super middle in terms of skill level and opposition.

Canelo only lost to Bivol because of skill not weight. If they run it back at 168lb its the same outcome. To my eyes Canelo is on the decline - he didn't look great against Plant (I had Plant 1 round up by the time of the KO)and against Bivol he looked one dimensional. His Stamina was absolutely atrocious as well - by round 12 there was not an ounce of power on his punches.
            Oldskoolg, Smash and like this.

Comment

He can do it yet got to be strategic and play strategic. He has a mike tyson like build. He will lose to long rangy slick high iq boxers 9/10 likewise with canelo. Yet i see beterbirv just killing nelo. Kovalov on his last legs was a close fight til the ko

Comment

Originally posted by Elastic Recoilz View Post
                Nah... This is a guy who claims to spar heavyweights in the gym, was prepared to fight Makabu at cruiserweight and was telling Hearn he was willing to fight Usyk at a 201lb catchweight! Canelo can make the 175lb limit comfortably and has fought there before so no excuses can be made when he loses in said division.

All those people who claim Canelo has height and reach disadvantages at 175lb are totally wrong. When he fought Callum Smith at 168lb, Smith was 6 foot 3 and had a eight inch reach advantage over Canelo, yet the fight wasn't competitive. Canelo in theory should in the same way, be able to fight opponents at 175lb with height and reach advantages over him but he can't because Light heavy is a significantly stronger division than super middle in terms of skill level and opposition.

Canelo only lost to Bivol because of skill not weight. If they run it back at 168lb its the same outcome. To my eyes Canelo is on the decline - he didn't look great against Plant (I had Plant 1 round up by the time of the KO)and against Bivol he looked one dimensional. His Stamina was absolutely atrocious as well - by round 12 there was not an ounce of power on his punches.
                I had Canelo up 6-4 against Plant. I have no clue how you could have Plant ahead because he faded so much in the second half of the fight. 5-5 would be acceptable though.

But I agree, peak Canelo was in the GGG 2 and Jacobs fights. His overall skillset has declined since then. He bought into the hype of his power which was never special.

The optics of "going up a division" is protecting the P4P fraud. Man got schooled 10-2 by a small LHW and was statistically beaten more comprehensively than Floyd managed against him when he was only 23yo!
                Last edited by Good ol' Douglas; 05-21-2022, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Bivol is small LHW. He schooled Canelo because of skillset.

Comment

Originally posted by Elastic Recoilz View Post

Skill and weight. Canelo's punches have less effect at lhw. Unlike Kovalev, Bivol has a solid and under-rated chin; He got landed on clean many times by Richards but that didn't deter him one bit. Bivol is just elite at 175 in a way that Plant, BJS and Smith are not at 168.

Canelo's stamina has always been a bit suspect and Bivol carried him a lot faster than he was comfortable with but also your output will go down when you are getting a beat down put on you.

Comment

Working...
                    X