Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Shields: It Was a Great Experience To Spend Time at Mayweather Gym

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Shields: It Was a Great Experience To Spend Time at Mayweather Gym

As BoxingScene.com previously reported, middleweight champion Claressa Shields was recently training at the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas, which is owned by former five division world champion Floyd Mayweather.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Oscar Valdez Vs Shakur Stevenson Will Go Head-To-Head With Taylor Vs Serrano

It’s been reported how Top Rank are almost certain to announce the big and potentially thrilling 130 pound battle between Oscar Valdez and Shakur Stevenson for the night of April 30th. The problem? The women’s super-fight between Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano has been announced for that same night; in New York. I don’t know about you, but one of the things that bugs me about modern day boxing (aside from the fact that there are far-too-many-world-titles-it-was-so-much-simpler-back-in-the-day) – is when TWO massive can’t miss fight are scheduled to go head-to-head with each other.

Surely a compromise could be reached in such a case? But Bob Arum, in coming out with comments that have already caused some controversy and are sure to earn more, has said that in his opinion there really is no problem. Why? Apparently, we fight fans “couldn’t care less” about women’s boxing.

“People don’t particularly pay attention to the women’s fights,” the Top Rank boss said when speaking with IFL TV. “ESPN made the schedule and they couldn’t care less. I don’t want to denigrate fights. I don’t want to be accused of being anti-women in sports, but I’m telling you, this is like the Premiere league versus women football.”

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-new...-shakur/211424

Exclusive: Eddie Hearn says Jake Paul makes Taylor vs. Serrano 'so much bigger' than Stevenson vs. Valdez

Eddie Hearn is far from worried about the scheduling clash between his Katie Taylor vs. Amanda Serrano and Bob Arum's Shakur Stevenson vs. Oscar Valdez fights.

The undisputed showdown in the women's lightweight division was confirmed on Thursday, with the Irish and Puerto Rican icons becoming the first female headliners in Madison Square Garden's long and storied boxing history. But a date of April 30 means the DAZN fight night — surely the biggest women's bout of all time — will go head-to-head with the men's junior-lightweight unification on ESPN.

Although Arum has since claimed "people don't particularly pay attention to women's fights," Hearn is confident the eyes of the world will be on Taylor vs. Serrano. After all, his fight not only sees the pound-for-pound and undisputed queen take on a seven-division champion, but also has the pulling power of co-promoter Jake Paul.

Speaking exclusively to Sporting News, the Matchroom chief said: "No, [we didn’t consider moving dates] — this fight is so much bigger than Stevenson vs. Valdez.

"There’s another world out there to hardcore boxing fans. Stevenson vs. Valdez is an amazing fight, but we saw yesterday the biggest reaction to any fight apart from AJ and Canelo.

"This fight is above women’s boxing. It’s myself, it’s Jake Paul, it’s the girls, it’s global media, it’s Madison Square Garden. There’s so much more.

"So we’ll take them on. On the night, we’ll see where the media is at, where the global media is at, where more fans are in the arena. I’m telling you, this is a monster. A monster."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/boxi...41145slhl3xwml

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
      Oscar Valdez Vs Shakur Stevenson Will Go Head-To-Head With Taylor Vs Serrano

It’s been reported how Top Rank are almost certain to announce the big and potentially thrilling 130 pound battle between Oscar Valdez and Shakur Stevenson for the night of April 30th. The problem? The women’s super-fight between Katie Taylor and Amanda Serrano has been announced for that same night; in New York. I don’t know about you, but one of the things that bugs me about modern day boxing (aside from the fact that there are far-too-many-world-titles-it-was-so-much-simpler-back-in-the-day) – is when TWO massive can’t miss fight are scheduled to go head-to-head with each other.

Surely a compromise could be reached in such a case? But Bob Arum, in coming out with comments that have already caused some controversy and are sure to earn more, has said that in his opinion there really is no problem. Why? Apparently, we fight fans “couldn’t care less” about women’s boxing.

“People don’t particularly pay attention to the women’s fights,” the Top Rank boss said when speaking with IFL TV. “ESPN made the schedule and they couldn’t care less. I don’t want to denigrate fights. I don’t want to be accused of being anti-women in sports, but I’m telling you, this is like the Premiere league versus women football.”

https://www.boxing247.com/boxing-new...-shakur/211424

Exclusive: Eddie Hearn says Jake Paul makes Taylor vs. Serrano 'so much bigger' than Stevenson vs. Valdez

Eddie Hearn is far from worried about the scheduling clash between his Katie Taylor vs. Amanda Serrano and Bob Arum's Shakur Stevenson vs. Oscar Valdez fights.

The undisputed showdown in the women's lightweight division was confirmed on Thursday, with the Irish and Puerto Rican icons becoming the first female headliners in Madison Square Garden's long and storied boxing history. But a date of April 30 means the DAZN fight night — surely the biggest women's bout of all time — will go head-to-head with the men's junior-lightweight unification on ESPN.

Although Arum has since claimed "people don't particularly pay attention to women's fights," Hearn is confident the eyes of the world will be on Taylor vs. Serrano. After all, his fight not only sees the pound-for-pound and undisputed queen take on a seven-division champion, but also has the pulling power of co-promoter Jake Paul.

Speaking exclusively to Sporting News, the Matchroom chief said: "No, [we didn’t consider moving dates] — this fight is so much bigger than Stevenson vs. Valdez.

"There’s another world out there to hardcore boxing fans. Stevenson vs. Valdez is an amazing fight, but we saw yesterday the biggest reaction to any fight apart from AJ and Canelo.

"This fight is above women’s boxing. It’s myself, it’s Jake Paul, it’s the girls, it’s global media, it’s Madison Square Garden. There’s so much more.

"So we’ll take them on. On the night, we’ll see where the media is at, where the global media is at, where more fans are in the arena. I’m telling you, this is a monster. A monster."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/boxi...41145slhl3xwml

I’ll be dual-streaming these two fights. I won’t mind watching one on the big screen and the other on the iPad. As good as Valdez vs Stevenson looks on paper, I really believe that Valdez is going to get outclassed in a one-sided affair and that this will be Stevenson’s best performance by far. Taylor vs Serrano on the other hand should be a lot more competitive.

Comment

If Floyd was an animal, he would be a snake. He ducked Margarito, Paul Williams, prime Thurman, and the list goes on. And he also loves Trump. Nuff said

Comment

Somebody said Floyd loves Trump. Great to hear it! Maybe Floyd's not so bad. ha ha

Comment

Working...
          X