Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Roy Jones legendary mainly because he was able to rule from 160-HW?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Roy Jones legendary mainly because he was able to rule from 160-HW?

Roy Jones recently said certain fighters are special because they can rule from a vast difference in weight like he once did,& that Canelo is the only 1 who he would advise to do that because nobody can pull it off besides the absolute most select few.

So my question is,how much of Jones legend was from being among 1st to do it if not the 1st,& how much is do to silverware/etc?

Roy Jones is legendary mainly because he boxes like a cartoon. Not to disparage, he's deadly like, and his achevments are great, unifcation against fellow P4Per James Toney. You have to understand Toney was the other ridiculous matrix like fighter of that era, this all before jumping weight categories to nab a version of heavyweight title from John Ruiz. I don't know his career inside out, but the point I want to make is that what makes Jones so undeniably appealing is his attractive style. It's poetry in motion man, forget the stats.

Comment

Also, to speak more to your point. Jumping numerous divisions at the higher weights is rare, there have been others in history with similarly ridiculous feats to their credit, Harry Greb? Henry Armstrong! You do the googling. But I think Jones was the first to go from MW to HW with titles all along the way, although I think he may have hopped once or twice. Yes, he may have been aided by some well treated meat, but hey, Canelo has the taste for that stuff too! But naw, takes the drugs out of the picture and you've still got two exceptional fighters, and I think that's what he's getting at, it takes an exceptional kind of fighter to do the kind of things Canelo is doing currently.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterDeclanCor View Post
        Also, to speak more to your point. Jumping numerous divisions at the higher weights is rare, there have been others in history with similarly ridiculous feats to their credit, Harry Greb? Henry Armstrong! You do the googling. But I think Jones was the first to go from MW to HW with titles all along the way, although I think he may have hopped once or twice. Yes, he may have been aided by some well treated meat, but hey, Canelo has the taste for that stuff too! But naw, takes the drugs out of the picture and you've still got two exceptional fighters, and I think that's what he's getting at, it takes an exceptional kind of fighter to do the kind of things Canelo is doing currently.
        You mentioned Toney. He popped for anabolic steroids ala nandrolone like Tyson Fury, Luis Ortiz. Roy popped for Androstenedione, stepping stone in the manufacture of testosterone and oestrogen within the body. These two in particular Stephen Edwards, who produces the mailbag for Boxingscene.com, always credits their ability and ''legendary career.' However, he never brings up their PEDS from an era where there wasn't any EXPECTED or REQUIRED RANDOM drug testing, let alone Olympic style blood testing. That era simply had to just pee in a cup in their locker room after a fight. How very practical of an era. lol But Edwards won't cite that !

Whereas Canelo got ''popped'' for Clenbuterol, which 8x his amount is now allowed, amended in 2019 by WADA. Why would WADA allow 8x Canelo's amount for all Olympic sports worldwide? That makes absolutely no sense and particular govts. would appeal that amendment, but haven't. It means the Court of Arbitration EXPECTS doubters to give such scenarios benefit of doubt. Even if Canelo was using Clen INTENTIONALLY, the pragmatic reality would be that taking a substance 80 days out like in Canelo vs GGG has way less benefits than fighters from Roy's or Toney's era that would've been jacked up the week of their fight or for 2 months or 6 months completely. That's the dark side of boxing. Edwards and most industry know this. But Edwards specifically likes to create propaganda hit pieces in his mailbags shaming Canelo Alvarez. He tries to approach objectively to not make it seem he's hating, but never cites Roy or Toney or any facts amended by WADA or comparing the 80-90's Golden Era of Steroids.

Why? Because he's pro black. Most posters know what I'm saying. He has done it so routinely that it's safe to assume he has prejudice against Mexicans.

Comment

Duude, who cares if he's pro black, he's black?! And he seems like a fair minded guy, racial preferences aside. Let's be honest here like, we can all get a bit racist at times, it's human nature, but I don't see anything real malignant with his craic.

Him growing up as a young black man, boxing fanatic, Toney and Jones are his heroes, so he's always gonna shy away from badmouthing them. I love the black fighters, and the black musicians. I'm Irish, from Ireland, the north, but it's all good/ Like me some Mexicans too, great country, and boxing is a great forum for celebrating it's contribution to global culture.

I think one of the cool things about boxing, and music actually, is that it's a fair space to make calls on the players based on where they're from. Because it matters! But I get your point man. Re: your encyclopedic knowledge of stimulants, very suspicious! :P But I can't talk =]=]

Comment

The Golden Era of Steroids! Yeah, for sure he's manoevering there a bit, at times. But very mildy. He gives Canelo all the props he deserves and more, it's clear to see he appreciates him as a fighter, all the rest of it. I mean it comes across like he likes him, but yeah I see what you're saying there with that fake objectivity... He was mad on Caleb Plant too before their fight haha

Comment

Jones was the second coming of Sugar Ray Robinson in his prime. Not only what he did, but how he did it.

Imagine the Manny Pacquiao from the De La Hoya, Hatton and Cotto fights.

Now imagine Manny looking like that for a DECADE. EVERY time he stepped into the ring.

That is what Roy looked like in his era.

Comment

His drop kind of tainted the whole thing...

Like I don't wanna ruin the party, but the Jones I watched against (Hero)Calzaghe barely resembled the Superhuman star of highlight reel fame.

I think his very best moments are unparalled, but I wouldn't quite put him up there with Robinson. But it's inches' It's a different thing too.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterDeclanCor View Post
                  The Golden Era of Steroids! Yeah, for sure he's manoevering there a bit, at times. But very mildy. He gives Canelo all the props he deserves and more, it's clear to see he appreciates him as a fighter, all the rest of it. I mean it comes across like he likes him, but yeah I see what you're saying there with that fake objectivity... He was mad on Caleb Plant too before their fight haha
                  Stephen Edwards is simply jealous of the Reynoso Gym. He even acknowledged Reynoso's policy towards being disciplined ala Luis Nery booted out and Ryan Garcia. Breadman acknowledged that. He also admires their gym routines. These are techniques and practices that Edwards knows, since its a physical routine, that he can't match because they have different cultural backgrounds as well as the selection or type of boxers. Reynoso seen plenty of Mexican fighters, learned the tutelage from his dad and had apprenticeships with various others. Where they are from, boxing is a natural sport aside from football. This could also be said about Philly, but the reality is that trainers make a difference. In this mailbag he sub textually talks about himself and Jrock and how they fell apart, to rid of friends during camps etc... Edwards prefers army type of discipline but he has to accept that you have to accept everything that comes with it. That's how boxing was started. He likes to Lomachenko style or Drago world of focus. Imo I say let fighters enjoy their life. Don't blame a loss for having friends. lol

Comment

Ah, it goes deep. See to be honest man, I know fck all about him aside from the mailbag, never watched a jrock fight, seen the clip of him celebrataing. Seen his guy in against benavidez, got some praise form Bernstein. I can see how he's got conflicts of interest there, I just like reading his ****. But yep, different philosophies. It's like if you have a kid, are you gonna keep them off computers and social media nd vr headsets when it comes the time because you dont think its healthy, even if it makes them a pure nerdlinger in school etc. Sometimes you just have to let the **** roll, there are plenty of fighters im sure who indulge in all the modern culture and suceed. He's just a bit of a nut. You gotta have some respect for him like, like him or not, eh?

That Nery, i remember him knocking everybody out at featherweight? Frampton wass movin up I was like swerve lol. Garcia has something special but lacking some fundamentals.

As for mad discipline, I say leave it to the individual. If you got an andre ward on your hnds, its in his nature to want to be all pernickity. Some guys just wanna chill =]

Comment

Working...
                    X