Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ugas Voices Displeasure Over WBA Welterweight Box-Off, Campaigns For Showdown With Spence

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post

I agree, I had him beating Porter too, but officially it's an L.

Figueroa was a bum at 147. He was barely worth anything at 135, let alone 147.
    Perella is a nobody.
    Jamal James is an average fighter. There's nothing special about him. He's about to get exposed on Oct. 30.
    So him trying to fight the spences of the world. Is less important to fight in a tournament, where he already has the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by BendOver View Post

So him trying to fight the spences of the world. Is less important to fight in a tournament, where he already has the belt.
      For the tenth time in this thread, there is no Spence fight on the horizon. No contracts, no negotiations, just a waiting period to see when or if Spence will come back. And if he does, who he even intends to fight. The WBA ordered Ugas to fight Stanionis by December or January. This fight has no bearing on the Spence fight. Ugas just wants the privilege of sitting on the belt without having to fight anybody in the meantime. He hasn't earned that. Fight Stanionis in December/January, fight the James/Butaev winner by May and Spence will be looking to get back and fight him after that. Ugas just wants a risk free waiting period until Spence. I don't think he deserves it. If he can't beat Stanionis and James/Butaev, who cares about him fighting Spence anyway. Fight or drop the belt.

Comment

Originally posted by BendOver View Post

If he's the WBA top dog, why not fight the other top dogs? Instead of fighting boxers below him, specially one he already beat. I think cleaning the whole 4 belts scenario, will be better for the sport than cleaning the wba mess. Created by them. I'll love only one champ per weight class.
        Because WBA isn't like WBC and IBF.

WBA created a mess. There are THREE "top dogs". There shouldn't be. They're trying to fix that.

Do I think it should happen first? Not really, but that at least cleans the crap up.

The other thing is that we don't know if Spence is fully recovered. He goes in there against Ugas and struggles, NSB will blame the eye injury.

At least this way he can take more time to heal up - and hopefully take on a fight that isn't SO dangerous in the interim. He can't do a mando, Porter is the mando on both IBF and WBC if I recall and he's fighting Crawford.

Again I'm not disagreeing with Ugas or the idea that unification is a priority, but at the same time, there are compelling reasons to welcome this tournament.

If it were up to me, we'd have tournaments at welterweight whenever we have a belt held hostage on the "other side of the street" with a promoter refusing to play ball.
        BendOver likes this.

Comment

And if there was an actual fight on the horizon with contracts, the WBA would probably grant an exemption. The reality is that Spence ain't fighting any time soon and there's no evidence that he won't want a tune up when he gets back. What Ugas wants to do is sit on the belt because the order is for him to fight Stanionis by like December or January. He doesn't want to fight and risk anything. He just wants to sit and wait to see if maybe Spence will fight him in June or July. Ugas hasn't earned that. If there's a Spence fight in December or January, go ahead. But there isn't. So fight Stanionis instead. Or drop the belt.
          Ok, you have a point. Ugas can`t just sit on his ass waiting for Spence to come back.

Comment

I do agree that he shouldn't be forced to fight Stanionis. I'm not sure what that kid ever did to earn a mandatory shot at the super champion. With that said, he should be forced to fight the James-Butaev winner (I have Butaev winning that fight on Oct. 30). Spence won't be available until mid-2022 anyway, and he might go for a tune-up first as well. Ugas beat a legend last time out, but Pacquiao was 43 years old coming off a 2 year layoff and fought every bit his age. The win is overrated. Ugas hasn't proven anything yet.

its not about pacquiao age. They were the 2 wba champs and they fought and ugas won. Therefore the wba situation at 147 is settled.

As far as spence goes. He doesnt do tune ups. He wants ugas next. Ugas should be allowed to get that fight.

A 4 man box off means ugas whole year is gone. The tourney wouldnt start til march at the earliest. Then he would fight the final in the fall leaving no room for a unification with spence or Crawford in 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Hustle View Post

its not about pacquiao age. They were the 2 wba champs and they fought and ugas won. Therefore the wba situation at 147 is settled.

As far as spence goes. He doesnt do tune ups. He wants ugas next. Ugas should be allowed to get that fight.

A 4 man box off means ugas whole year is gone. The tourney wouldnt start til march at the earliest. Then he would fight the final in the fall leaving no room for a unification with spence or Crawford in 2022
              The tourney starts in 10 days, James vs. Butaev on Showtime. Ugas has to fight Stanionis by January 15. Winners fight each other by April or May.

Comment

The tourney starts in 10 days, James vs. Butaev on Showtime. Ugas has to fight Stanionis by January 15. Winners fight each other by April or May.
                Thats even worse. Ugas is expected to fight 3 times in 9 months? What kind of bull **** is this

August, January, may

Comment

Thats even worse. Ugas is expected to fight 3 times in 9 months? What kind of bull **** is this

August, January, may
                  August, January, May. Push back the May fight by a month or so if he needs it. Keeps him nice and active. I like it.

Ugas vs. Stanionis next for January. Good fight for PBC. Hopefully they get it done. Put it on Showtime. I'll watch.

Comment

August, January, may
                    Canelo did it in less. Besides, Ugas not two days after Manny posted on social media that he's ready for the next fight. Let him do it

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post

Canelo did it in less. Besides, Ugas not two days after Manny posted on social media that he's ready for the next fight. Let him do it

canelo selected his fights. He wasnt forced to fight 3 times in 9 months. No champion has ever been forced to do that except ugas.

Aint no money in for ugas. a 3 million dollar unification fight or a 500k box off.

Last edited by Hustle; 10-21-2021, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X