No announcement yet.

Why do people still act like AJ is a really good fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing-1013 View Post

I really just would have thought that after that Ruiz fight, people who were fans would have realized he isn't quite what he was made out to be.
    What is supposed to be the consensus on him among fans though? most people think Fury is better etc from what ive seen. On boxing forums most people **** on him. i'm really not seeing where hes being overrated tbh.

It doesnt really feel like it but that Wlad win is nearly 5 years ago now. Its a pretty long time in sporting terms. Initial expectations of him coming out of the olympics was that he'd probably be a world champ and the top dog in the division, and he did achieve exactly that for a few years although he showed plenty of vulnerabilities along the way, then he ultimately came unstuck. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Get em up View Post
      I think he should have been in America and Japan and Russia and everywhere else in the world taking on all comers instead of staying at home and fighting whoever came to him.
      He wouldve lost more and earlier imho. Hes just simply not good enough to go unscathed forever. I think the margin of quality between a lot of guys at top 10 level is quite thin.

Comment

Originally posted by TMLT87 View Post

What is supposed to be the consensus on him among fans though? most people think Fury is better etc from what ive seen. On boxing forums most people **** on him. i'm really not seeing where hes being overrated tbh.

It doesnt really feel like it but that Wlad win is nearly 5 years ago now. Its a pretty long time in sporting terms. Initial expectations of him coming out of the olympics was that he'd probably be a world champ and the top dog in the division, and he did achieve exactly that for a few years although he showed plenty of vulnerabilities along the way, then he ultimately came unstuck. It is what it is.
        I feel like a large contingent of his fanbase still thinks he is potentially the number 1 guy at HW. To me it is clear that he is definitely not number 1. You could argue number 3, but I would think everyone would have him no higher than 4th.

He has the worst vulnerabilities by far really of any of the big name HWs. Anything out of his comfort zone in a fight (location, gets clipped etc) I don't see him doing well.

I don't think he was ever top dog in the division. I liked his win over Wlad, it was a great fight and a decisive win, even it was at home and over a 42 year old guy. But since then, I can't think of one impressive performance from AJ - can you?

Comment

Because he has a great resume and was ripping through everyone early in his career

Comment

I think it's premature and silly to write off Joshua after two losses. He underestimated Ruiz and lost to a very good boxer in Usyk. Now if he had lost to Martin, Breazeale or Takam, it would be much easier to say that he's just not that good. But that is not the case.

Comment

He’s a good fighter, just not top level like Fury and Usyk.

I think Wilder stops him, I think Joyce does too, too tough.

He has enough solid wins to prove he is a good fighter. I will say when you look at his resume and really look at who he fought and when he fought them, it’s not the great resume people say, especially with the losses too. He still has decent wins though, enough to say he is a good fighter.

He shouldn’t be a gold medalist either.
              786 likes this.

Comment

He was overated by some, now he is mostly underated. He is definitely not a bad boxer and still one of the best in this era. I don't like him, but perception may change again if he get win over Usyk and win some meaningful fights after that. Even without win over Usyk he has tendency to make good fights rank-wise so he would be always near the top of the division.

Comment

I feel like a large contingent of his fanbase still thinks he is potentially the number 1 guy at HW.
                  If there are people out there than truly think that, i'm not seeing them. The only people I could envision feeling that way are super casuals in the UK that dont even watch boxing really but know him because hes a household name, and might tune in to his fights only. Kind of like if you went back 20 years and asked random people in the street who the best HW in the world was at that time and most would say Mike Tyson.

But since then, I can't think of one impressive performance from AJ - can you?
                  Not really, hes looked vulnerable in the majority of his top wins, including that one, but at the end of the day he was consistently facing guys ranked in the top 10 and winning, no other HWs were doing that.

Comment

He is very good. I would favour him to beat everybody except Fury and Usyk.
                    Last edited by JakeTheBoxer; 10-15-2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

The guy that still is claiming Wilder is #2 is saying Joshua is overrated? There's like 5 guys with better wins than Wilder. Used Joshua's name for marketing and idiots ate it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X