Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Canelo-Plant, Charlo-Castano, Mike Tyson, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Daily Bread Mailbag: Canelo-Plant, Charlo-Castano, Mike Tyson, More

The Daily Bread Mailbag returns with Stephen "Breadman" Edwards tackling topics such as the failed negotiations for Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez vs. Caleb Plant, the unification between Jermell Charlo and Brian Castano, the style of heavyweight great Mike Tyson, and much more.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I was glad to see that read pointed out how people only seem to concentrate on plant’s purse while the proposed purse for Canelo would be the largest of his career and would make much more on the backend as well. Canelo would make far more in this fight than he ever did with DLH, Hearn, or Dazn. Also loved this part by bread:
    ”I know you guys say that Plant has no market value. But he’s the best white American active fighter in the world. He’s the best since a prime Kelly Pavlik 14 years ago. He’s a good looking kid and he shows up well on tv. He speaks well. Getting the 20 on an 80/20 split is about right for him. It also puts Canelo in position to fight Jermall Charlo and David Benavidez, two other PBC stars. That would fill his plate for the next year. Let’s see what happens.”

Exactly right. Plant is marketable in the USA because he is a white American lad from Tennessee who came up dirt poor, living in a trailer and fighting in the projects. Both white Americans like him and black Americans. He had a stout fan base and consistently performs on FOX over 2m viewers and was the highest draw on FS1. When Americans see the buildup with Canelo and plant they will see to white guys in one of the biggest fights in a hot minute. That is of course if canelo’s trainer turned negotiator doesn’t lose the fight for being a diva….

Comment

Did I just hear Bread compare Plant to Pavilik? The only thing these two have in common is that they are both White Americans. Kelly was an all action fighter who would put everything on the line in the ring, he also was a draw to the working class folk's. On the other side, Plant is a pure boxer with no power who is happy winning decisions and not risking anything. Don't get me wrong, Plant is solid and would probably win a couple of rounds with Canelo, but he's no Pavilik, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
        I was glad to see that read pointed out how people only seem to concentrate on plant’s purse while the proposed purse for Canelo would be the largest of his career and would make much more on the backend as well. Canelo would make far more in this fight than he ever did with DLH, Hearn, or Dazn. Also loved this part by bread:
        ”I know you guys say that Plant has no market value. But he’s the best white American active fighter in the world. He’s the best since a prime Kelly Pavlik 14 years ago. He’s a good looking kid and he shows up well on tv. He speaks well. Getting the 20 on an 80/20 split is about right for him. It also puts Canelo in position to fight Jermall Charlo and David Benavidez, two other PBC stars. That would fill his plate for the next year. Let’s see what happens.”

Exactly right. Plant is marketable in the USA because he is a white American lad from Tennessee who came up dirt poor, living in a trailer and fighting in the projects. Both white Americans like him and black Americans. He had a stout fan base and consistently performs on FOX over 2m viewers and was the highest draw on FS1. When Americans see the buildup with Canelo and plant they will see to white guys in one of the biggest fights in a hot minute. That is of course if canelo’s trainer turned negotiator doesn’t lose the fight for being a diva….
        Maybe you should really do your research on who's being a diva. Yahoo had a story what's the hold up, and it's Plant, he wants the same percentage of the PPV revenue as Canelo which is ludicrous because Plant might draw some fans to free network tv, but he's never sold a PPV or in his life, I believe that's the main hold up, but there's also the size of the ring. Even though Plant is claiming he's agreed to everything, the article stated that Plant wants 22x22 ring, same size Saunders had, problem is in Vegas, the standard is 20x20, since they fight in arenas and not a stadium, all the big fights in Vegas has had this size, but Plant wants special accommodations. So if someone is being a diva, it's Plant and Haymon. One last thing, Canelo's camp has been chasing this fight since last year, Plant and PBC have been the one's putting this fight off, so I tend to believe the hold up is Plant, and so does most people except the Canelo haters....
        Thuglife Nelo Thuglife Nelo likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfield02 View Post

Maybe you should really do your research on who's being a diva. Yahoo had a story what's the hold up, and it's Plant, he wants the same percentage of the PPV revenue as Canelo which is ludicrous because Plant might draw some fans to free network tv, but he's never sold a PPV or in his life, I believe that's the main hold up, but there's also the size of the ring. Even though Plant is claiming he's agreed to everything, the article stated that Plant wants 22x22 ring, same size Saunders had, problem is in Vegas, the standard is 20x20, since they fight in arenas and not a stadium, all the big fights in Vegas has had this size, but Plant wants special accommodations. So if someone is being a diva, it's Plant and Haymon. One last thing, Canelo's camp has been chasing this fight since last year, Plant and PBC have been the one's putting this fight off, so I tend to believe the hold up is Plant, and so does most people except the Canelo haters....
          post the yahoo article.

Queen_Leia Queen_Leia likes this.

Comment

“Beating plant puts canelo in a position to fight charlo and benavidez”. As if either of those fighters hasn’t been BEGGING for the opportunity. Imagine being this out of touch in regards to plants value compared to canelos. What’s plants highest paycheck? 1 million? So he should get ten times the amount because what? So canelo should get 300 million for the fight by that logic. Why would canelo bless the pbc with his presence when the pbc does everything they can to block fights with other promotional companies. Think Crawford. Plant will honestly add nothing to canelos career in terms of accomplishment. He isn’t that good. He is a b+ fighter at best and his ratings are a solid F.
            Thuglife Nelo Thuglife Nelo likes this.

Comment

Brian Castano was the nicest surprise that I have had for a while. He also got robbed of that fight., He really socked it to Jermell, and he was game to the end of that fight. Sure he got caught a couple of times but he did not go down and he danced away to come back moments later to give Jermell all the grief he could handle. I was baffled that Jermell could not do better, I could sense that Jermell could not understand how Castano could beat his jab, He was hesitant and afraid despite his corner telling him to get back into the fight, Instead he played wise and pretended to be slower than he really was, hoping to catch Castano with a good lucky one, and he did and as he closed in for the kill his mouth tight with fury and concentration, Castsno again proved he has a good chin and that he is quick thinking on the back foot. Great fight. I read somewhere that Castano had already beaten Charlo as an amateur. So he already knew to get in close and club from left to right. He should have been awarded the victory..

Comment

Originally posted by BeLikeWater View Post
                “Beating plant puts canelo in a position to fight charlo and benavidez”. As if either of those fighters hasn’t been BEGGING for the opportunity. Imagine being this out of touch in regards to plants value compared to canelos. What’s plants highest paycheck? 1 million? So he should get ten times the amount because what? So canelo should get 300 million for the fight by that logic. Why would canelo bless the pbc with his presence when the pbc does everything they can to block fights with other promotional companies. Think Crawford. Plant will honestly add nothing to canelos career in terms of accomplishment. He isn’t that good. He is a b+ fighter at best and his ratings are a solid F.
                Obviously Plant WOULD add something to Canelo's career, his belt. Plant may be a B+ fighter, and unknown to the general public, BUT he has abelt that Canelo wants to unify, so that means that he does have SOME leverage.
                siablo14 siablo14 OldTerry OldTerry like this.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelFist01 View Post

Obviously Plant WOULD add something to Canelo's career, his belt. Plant may be a B+ fighter, and unknown to the general public, BUT he has abelt that Canelo wants to unify, so that means that he does have SOME leverage.
                  Ya or canelo could just fight anyone else for 30 plus million while plant continues fighting on free tv.

Comment

Originally posted by Jab jab boom View Post
                    post the yahoo article.
                    Now I got to go do the research for you? Go find it! Like it matters to the Canelo haters....

Here it is... Canelohaters.com/Factsdon'tmattertome
                    Last edited by Greenfield02; 07-31-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X