Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Casimero-Rigondeaux: WBO Won't Recognize Secondary WBA Title in Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
    The WBO is the only body to take this stance and deserve credit for doing so.

The IBF and WBC both allow unifications with regular WBA titles.
    Do they recognize regular champions though?

Comment

Yeah definitely.

Carl Froch held both the IBF and WBA regular super middleweight titles. So did Frampton at 122.

The WBO are the only body who actually enforce their 1 champion per division policy.
      fighters can have regular + other (real) titles, but the fight for it wasn't sanctioned as a unification.
      Maybe Eddie and Sky were selling it as a unification, but it wasn't unless there was no "super" champ. Regular is recognized by other major Orgs only when there is NO WBA super champ. Only one champ per division is recognized! Read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by James Hunt View Post

fighters can have regular + other (real) titles, but the fight for it wasn't sanctioned as a unification.
        Maybe Eddie and Sky were selling it as a unification, but it wasn't unless there was no "super" champ. Regular is recognized by other major Orgs only when there is NO WBA super champ. Only one champ per division is recognized! Read the article.
        They were both sanctioned as unifications. If it wasn’t a unification the WBA title would not have been on the line for Froch and Frampton. Ward was WBA super and Rigo was WBA super. The WBA/IBF allowed Frampton and Quigg to unify based on the idea the winner would fight Rigo- which predictably they never.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post

Do they recognize regular champions though?
          The WBC and IBF both have done in the past. The WBO never have to my knowledge. I remember they forced Kameda to relinquish his WBO title to fight Jamie McDonnell for his WBA regular title.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post

That doesn't mean it was unified though. The IBF can't keep a fighter from paying a sanctioning fee, but it doesn't mean they recognized the title as legit. I'd have to look into it more.
            It definitely was a unification because both titles were on the line for Froch-Kessler and Frampton-Quigg. Same with Canelo-Trout for the WBC/WBA back in 2013.

Comment

The WBC and IBF both have done in the past. The WBO never have to my knowledge. I remember they forced Kameda to relinquish his WBO title to fight Jamie McDonnell for his WBA regular title.
              I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. I'm not saying you're wrong or exaggerating I'm just not so sure recognition of a unification between major and minor titles equates to elevating a minor to a major.

When the WBC unifies with the WBA Regular then do they start putting WBA Regular champions in all divisions up as legitimate champions or just the fella with the legitimate title and the regular title? WBC being an example, if you know of when the IBF did it that works just as well.

Comment

Working...
              X