Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here desperate to see upsets in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes as you said, with virtually every guy today taking the 'safe as possible' route, I would love to see any and all of those guys catch an L

Comment

Perhaps fans need to do some show of support for these unsung underdogs. However ways you do it.
      Even better is raise funds to augment their training, even in some small ways like free lunches for their staff.
      Fans can also do some loud cheering when they're in the audience like whenever underdog lands some good shots.
      Also things like expressing moral support on social media, just expressions of encouragements, that they're not alone on these fights.

Comment

I'm a Wilder fan soo....obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
          I'm a Wilder fan soo....obviously.
          Am not really a fan of the heavies, I call punching bag divisions.
          So I have no dog in that fight, over or under. Couldn't care less who wins that replay.

Comment

Originally posted by genrick View Post

Am not really a fan of the heavies, I call punching bag divisions.
            So I have no dog in that fight, over or under. Couldn't care less who wins that replay.
            that's fair, I call the little guys bobbleheads.

You just give me my other. Boxing can be pretty much broken down into bobblehead, punching bags, and super under appreciated LHWs.

Comment

Yes because someone who wins by upset is always willing to unify and fight the other big names.

Thats because they continue to be the underdog and every big fight is a continuation of their one big shot.

Comment

Only when it's a hype job cherry picker getting upset. I root for all Crawford's cherry picked opponents.

Comment

Id like to have seen someone beat Mayweather , I enjoyed Ruiz beating Joshua . I was young with Tyson Douglas but it was a shock even at that age . You can't beat an upset , in any sport

Comment

It's probably a novel idea to organize a fund-raising campaign purely for underdogs
                    who need the best and proper training they could get to win fights or be competitive.
                    Whoever is able to organize this successfully is in for a good cause. Funds doesn't
                    have to come from fans. It could come from wealthy well-meaning people who love the sport
                    and sick of the mismatches.

Comment

Originally posted by nubianpiye View Post
                      A good thing would just be fighters of a similar level fighting regularly instead of boxing's current model of constantly selling us mismatches and then promising the big fights but never delivering them.
                      Playing the devil's advocate. . . two things:

It has always been as it is now . . .the belief that the old timers fought everyone is a boxing urban legend. . . LaMotta had to chase after competition for years before he got his shot . . . Charley Burley never got his, Holman Williams never got his . . . and so on.

These mismatches often come as 'mandatories' which often means the promoted loser had the right 'connections' - but on the positive side is those upsets you speak of . . . these fighters would never come to our attention if they weren't given a chance to be this 'month's bum' and then step up to win it all - Bramble; Haugen; Toney Etc.

nubianpiye likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X