Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Stevenson: I Was Being A Little Bit Careful Cuz Nakathila Got Power; He Was Real Scary

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry about Stevenson, the kids gonna be Great...."we gather deh, make we deh look"....

Comment

Originally posted by Oldskoolg View Post
      Terms like “boring” and “runner” get thrown around a lot on this forum and generally pointed at American and Cuban fighters and almost always out of bias....
      Man, this is a bad take. "almost always"? Through your distorted lens maybe. I, and other fans, can appreciate a fighters skill level as being entirely different than their entertainment level.

Rigondeaux is incredibly skilled but he's also been in his fair share of stinkers because he'd rather fight safety first (especially early in his career). Nobody has ever accused BJS of being exciting or fan friendly. On the other hand, fighters like Kirkland and Angulo got more opportunities than their abilities warranted because they entertained the masses with their exciting styles.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post
        That's probably not a good sign, there are a ton of guys scarier than Nakathila lingering about
        I agree, it doesn't mean they are going to be awkward

Comment

Let the excuses flow shakur!

First it was Im sick "I apologize to all my fans I didn’t feel good tonight but I did what I had to do to win.."

now the truth comes out and your opponent was "scary"

lol

Shakur couldnt put away an african police officer who works a full time job and trains out of 3rd world facilities in his spare time.

Comment

It's OK to be slick and defensive first. But when the opponent is that limited and you still won't press the issue, it becomes anathema to the viewer.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
              Shakur Stevenson apologized to his fans on Twitter following his 12-round shutout of Jeremiah Nakathila on Saturday night. Stevenson considers himself the best defensive fighter in boxing and displayed those skills versus Namibia's Nakathila. The WBO interim junior lightweight champion recognizes, however, that he didn't do enough on offense to satisfy viewers who watched what amounted to an uninspiring points victory over an unknown underdog.
              [Click Here To Read More]
              Hopefully Stevenson uses this performance as an opportunity to improve because Jamel Herring is a big step up from Nakathila.
              charliepaerker charliepaerker likes this.

Comment

So is he going to avoid punchers with any skill for the rest of his career now?
                Last edited by YoungManRumble; 06-14-2021, 11:04 AM.
                Mario040481 Mario040481 likes this.

Comment

There needs to be a balance between trying not to get hit, and a willingness to take risks. Boxing is a sport, sports are entertainment. It's not entertaining to watch a fighter play cat and mouse all night and look to land one pot shot at a time while avoiding an amateur level opponent's counters. He needs to step it up because the opposition level gets much tougher going forward. Part of his problem is that he was always accustomed to being the bigger man in the ring. He finally had to face a bigger stronger opponent and he fought scared. Not a good look.

Comment

the guy he fought had never fought anyone of note and had never ko'd anyone of note, even when floyd cherry picked a guy with a padded record like phillip ndou he at least knocked the guy out after realizing the guy wasnt an actual threat. its like stevenson doesnt understand the guys put in front of him are there to be knocked over
                    Last edited by daggum; 06-14-2021, 11:49 AM.
                    charliepaerker charliepaerker likes this.

Comment

This pretty much tells me that this kid will fold if anybody with decent power starts to land on him. Nothing wrong with being a defensive fighter but this is a combat sport and eventually you’re gonna get hit and it’s gonna hurt.

Shakur has mastered the “step back” defense and that seems to be all he wants to do. He’s gotta learn to master standing in the pocket, evading, catching and shooting etc. I don’t think even the biggest Stevenson fan found that performance entertaining. It doesn’t mean he had to get hit or take damage to be entertaining, he needs to put on a show. Go for it. Your opposition is leagues below you but you’re fighting you’re afraid of him.

Him and Haney wanna be Floyd so bad but fail to realize Floyd at their age was beating the shhh outta these type of opponents.

When you got a company man like Bradley calling you boring and saying he was trying not to fall asleep on national television during your fight, you know somethings wrong. This kid better wise up or he could end up gettin the Rigondeaux treatment
                      Last edited by Bronx23; 06-14-2021, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X