Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was closer to prime in 2013: Floyd or Canelo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was closer to prime in 2013: Floyd or Canelo?

Floyd was 36 and in his 5th weight class.

Canelo was 23 and in his 2nd weight class.

Which guy was really closer to his prime when they fought?

Last edited by Golgo 13; 05-13-2021, 09:32 AM.

Floyd’s prime ended in 07 after the Hatton fight or 09 with Marquez

Alvarez prime began sometime after the Floyd fight

Comment

You're either in your prime or your not. Neither of them were at their best weight classes so who gives a crap. Prime Mayweather vs prime Canelo at their best weight classes is just a fantasy fight.

Comment

Not easy to call when Alvarez primed

he doesnt have masterful performances against very good or better opponents

most his fights are competitive

Comment

Originally posted by Pantera_ View Post
          You're either in your prime or your not. Neither of them were at their best weight classes so who gives a crap. Prime Mayweather vs prime Canelo at their best weight classes is just a fantasy fight.
          Alvarez doing better at 168 than 160

however his opponents at 160 were better: Cotto 3g Jacobs

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo 13 View Post
            Floyd was 36 and in his 5th weight class.

Canelo was 23 and in his 2nd weight class.

Which guy was really closer to his prime when they fought?

Floyd says he was an old man.
            Well this depends on when you would consider these guys "prime". I believe Floyd was just exiting his prime (if not already left) by the time of the Canelo fight. I believe Canelo settled into his prime after the Khan fight, though there's a strong argument he was prime much sooner than that. Just because Canelo has added some wrinkles to his game in the last few years, doesn't mean he's just now starting his prime. I see a lot of people saying he's just now reaching his prime because of "how much better" he's gotten since the first GGG fight, which is ridiculous. With all of that said, I think Floyd was closer to his prime, though at like 40 something fights, its hard to say Canelo wasn't either. Something else I wanted to say, you don't get "prime" Canelo, without his loss to Floyd, so there's really no argument. Today's Canelo= Canelo + Floyd Loss

Comment

Originally posted by Keysandboxing View Post

Well this depends on when you would consider these guys "prime". I believe Floyd was just exiting his prime (if not already left) by the time of the Canelo fight. I believe Canelo settled into his prime after the Khan fight, though there's a strong argument he was prime much sooner than that. Just because Canelo has added some wrinkles to his game in the last few years, doesn't mean he's just now starting his prime. I see a lot of people saying he's just now reaching his prime because of "how much better" he's gotten since the first GGG fight, which is ridiculous. With all of that said, I think Floyd was closer to his prime, though at like 40 something fights, its hard to say Canelo wasn't either. Something else I wanted to say, you don't get "prime" Canelo, without his loss to Floyd, so there's really no argument. Today's Canelo= Canelo + Floyd Loss
              imo Floyd’s prime

Ndou-Marquez

you could see notable dips in his speed between Hatton to Marquez to Mosley to Ortiz

Comment

Floyd's prime ended after Hatton in 2007

Canelo's started with Trout in 2013. He's peaking now

Comment

Originally posted by Mushashi View Post
                  Floyd's prime ended after Hatton in 2007

Canelo's started with Trout in 2013. He's peaking now
                  Trout too early

Alvarez became a MUCH better fighter after the Mayweather match the greatest opponent of his career when it all said and done

you learn a lot being in there with guys like Floyd Lara Cotto 3g

Comment

perhaps Alvarez prime started with the Kovalev

this where he begins knocking out taller bigger men

Jacobs fight was good performance too. Alvarez 8-4 a longer dude who can box. He won cleaner than I thought he would

Comment

Working...
                    X