Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anthony Joshua Through Age 31 > Lennox Lewis Through Age 31.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Motofan View Post
    Lennox is one of the greatest to ever fight at heavy and has a real shot against anyone who ever fought at the weight head to head. Joshua is a media creation in a weak era without a single meaningful win to his name. And he’s not even the best heavyweight in the weak era. Can’t wait for Fury to open the remaining holdouts eyes.
    Yep. No need to compare records when you can easily imagine Lennox painting AJ. Lennox had one of the best HW builds of all time. He’s as big as AJ but you can see how he is just naturally a bigger guy as he didn’t look so much like a bodybuilder or have to slim down to get on his bike. Lennox will/should be appreciated more as time goes on. I’m cdn, we are supposed to hate him. I didn’t always like him, but he was a smart fighter and could give any man alive trouble like you said, if not even win. If aliens landed and wanted to fight our best man, nobody picking AJ over Lennox no matter what they pretend now.

Comment

AJ aint on Lennox Lewis Level...PERIOD!

You guys can start these threads and make these comparisons but all it does really is shows the serious LACK of Boxing Knowledge Particularly Knowledge of Boxing HISTORY! Ignorance of History Is No Excuse in 2021 when you have stuff like Youtube and Google to LEARN from

I understand some of you guys are huge fans of some of these Current Fighters but COME ON! Dominate your current ERA FRIST before you start trying to compare these fighters to LEGENDS and ICONS
      Last edited by sicko; 05-11-2021, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzschean View Post

What are your reasons for saying that AJ has peaked? It is a theory I agree with though: he fought with far more confidence several years ago and an intense steroid-fuelled weight-training program and explosive power punching style takes a huge toll on the body, as David Haye found out. He's been sparked out too many times in sparring by the likes of Price, Dubois and Dawejko and been beaten to a pulp on the biggest stage by Andy Ruiz. He's also gassed out too many times in fights to have any confidence in his stamina, which deters him from taking risks. But I'm wondering if you have any other theories as to why AJ may be past his best.

If AJ gets stopped by Fury, which I believe is the most likely outcome, this will do even more damage to his fragile confidence, add some wear and tear and keep him on the sidelines for a while. At that point he may be in a similar position to Wilder as fodder for talented and ambitious heavyweights like Joyce and Hrgovic.
        He was better as an aggressive boxer-puncher than his style he adopted since winning the title.

He doesn't have the footspeed Wlad had nor the same quality jab, so what he's doing now is a sort of slightly budget version of Wlad, it works against most guys but it won't work at the top.

I belive his style should have been one that complimented his strengths, he should have been learning from early how to operate in the pocket and how to have an active defence, but they went the other way and imo its too late in the day for a total overhaul.

Put it this way when you are the size of AJ with the power he has, you shouldn't be running, why would you avoid contact, you should be the hammer. Instead of fixing his leaky defence up close they turned him into an outside boxer who is trying to avoid violence. When you seem him running from Kubrat Pulev who he could have Ko'd whenever he felt like it, it's ridiculous.

Yeah just feel he's been taken down the wrong path.

Comment

Lenny would literally kill everyone AJ beat WHEN he fought them.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzschean View Post

Mercer had gone life and death with three journeymen in his last four fights before Lewis but he virtually fought Lewis to a draw. An old, worn Bruno outboxed Lewis over 7 rounds until his chin and gas tank inevitably failed him. Lewis was also blasted out in one punch by two fringe contenders, which has never happened to AJ. AJ lacks a name as good as Vitali Klitschko on his resume but even that has an asterisk next to it as Lewis was down by two rounds on the cards before it was stopped in the 6th on cuts. It was a tenacious performance from Lewis don't get me wrong but once again it underlined his vulnerability to being outboxed, even by men with significantly less reach.

In 20 years time boxing fans will have a more objective view of the current era. At the time Lewis was slated, just as Wlad, Fury and AJ have at times been slated. There is a tendency among fans to want to believe that the old eras of smaller heavyweights with fewer technological and scientific advantages at their disposal (as well as a smaller world population and political-geographic barriers) are better than the current crop: how many in the 90's would have favoured Lewis to beat Ali? Very few.

In my view this is absurd seeing as Ali had huge problems with or was beaten by chinny, featherfisted sub-cruiser journeymen Doug Jones and Henry Cooper, chinny half-blind midget featherfist cruiser Joe Frazier x3, chinny featherfist cruiser Ken Norton x3, featherfisted cruiser journeyman Jimmy Young and featherfisted cruiser bum Leon Spinks. Ali never fought anyone with remotely the combination of size, power, athleticism and skill that Lewis possessed and lost to far lesser opponents, yet 6'2, 200-220 lbs Ali and the slightly smaller Joe Louis are still considered to be better than the modern super-heavyweights who originated in the 90's and have dominated the heavyweight division ever since.
            With all these technological advances how come most heavyweights are out of shape? It is only really Joshua and a few others who are solid as super heavyweights. Most of the super-heavyweights these days are only super heavyweights in number 'How many of them are solid at the weight'. Tyson Fury is 280 pounds, because he does not want to train the way he did when he was with Peter Fury. This illusion that the division is full of giant genetically gifted super heavyweights is all nonsense, they are big in number 'Only a hand full are genuine super heavyweights'.

In past heavyweight era's there was not a culture of body building, that is how I know 'Those fighters were solid genuine heavyweights'. Dillian Whyte for example has pumped himself up over 240-250 pounds, and it is the same with Anthony Joshua.

Frank Bruno was at his absolute peak vs Lennox Lewis, awesome jab and he was well drilled in the fundamentals and could hit hard. Bruno beats most of the top fighters today, for the simple fact he could box.

Today's era is competitive and I like it, but I think you are duped a bit by the illusion these fighters are creating.

Comment

Unfair to compare two different eras. The top-10 boxers in the 90s were better than those today. AJ is yet to fight a great name in their prime. AJ beating Charles Martin is not an accomplishment, it is a joke that Martin was a titleholder in the first place. If AJ fights and beats Fury and Wilder, then yes that would be an accomplishment. Or even if he fights some upcoming young fighters like Dubois or veteran but not past prime Joyce or upcoming Hrgovic.

To date, Joshua is yet to even better his record against Fatman who won by TKO while AJ won on points. Similarly, Wilder needs to take his revenge with Fury and fight Joshua. So far, it is Fury that has fought and beat Klitschko and Wilder but has padded that record with a lot of tomato cans in between.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post

You guys can start these threads and make these comparisons but all it does really is shows the serious LACK of Boxing Knowledge Particularly Knowledge of Boxing HISTORY! Ignorance of History Is No Excuse in 2021 when you have stuff like Youtube and Google to LEARN from

I understand some of you guys are huge fans of some of these Current Fighters but COME ON! Dominate your current ERA FRIST before you start trying to compare these fighters to LEGENDS and ICONS
                Anthony Joshua through age 31 has accomplished more than Lennox Lewis through age 31.

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post

Lennox wasn't dominate until 1997

Comment

There are two parts to Lewis, the Lewis that finished his career with Vitali can not be compared to IMHO, he would stop everyone of these current generation.

But the pre-Emmanuel Stewart Lewis definitely needed fine tuning. Is that version of Lewis at 31 better than this version of Joshua? I would say so too even though the evidence cannot really back me up. This current Joshua with 3 belts looks very vulnerable to me, and Lewis didn’t get his opportunities until later in his career.

Comment

Every version of Lennox is better than Any version of Joshua.
                      RJJ-94-02=GOAT RJJ-94-02=GOAT likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X