Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Magomed Kurbanov Edges Liam Smith, Wins Decision in Tough Action Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Citizen Koba View Post
    Would happily watch either of these two vs young Tsyzu...
    Tszyu knocks Kurbanov out no problem, around halfway mark.

Perhaps Smith would manage to last a round more or two, given his experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post

I could definitely see 3-3 halfway through, but I thought there were 3 clear Smith rounds in there. I honestly wouldn't have argued a draw, I think if you push all the close rounds to Kurbanov there are 6 there, I just can't see more than that, which makes 117-112 ludicrous
      117-112 was an exaggeration, yes. I was not scoring round by round, but one or two points for Kurbanov are OK with me. He almost always managed to hit Smith with good shots even when he was dead tired and Liam seemed about to overwhelm him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tatabanya View Post

Tszyu knocks Kurbanov out no problem, around halfway mark.

Perhaps Smith would manage to last a round more or two, given his experience.
        I agree Kurbanov doesn't have much for Tszyu

Comment

• Originally posted by BigZ44 View Post

I could definitely see 3-3 halfway through, but I thought there were 3 clear Smith rounds in there. I honestly wouldn't have argued a draw, I think if you push all the close rounds to Kurbanov there are 6 there, I just can't see more than that, which makes 117-112 ludicrous
          I thought Smith was very stupid to start that slow. First 4 rounds were just low output fencing rounds. He probably could have edged 2 of those rounds, but thats not how you fight as the away fighter tbh.

I still had Smith winning 7-5 overall, but draw and 7-5 kurbanov was also fair.
          mlac likes this.

Comment

• I'd forgotten there was a possible knockdown that wasn't scored. No idea if it was legit or not, as I didn't see a replay.

Comment

• [Content is Protected, Please Register For Free To Unlock This Content]

Poor production form the Russians as usual, I have not found a different angle from this knockdown. Nevertheless, there was contact from Smith's glove before Magomed Kurbanov hit the floor. Magomed Kurbanov, was evading Liam Smith's left hand by ducking then he ( Kurbanov ) pivot to his right but made contact with Liam's left-leg, so the Russian was off balance when Smith threw the left-hook.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
                [Content is Protected, Please Register For Free To Unlock This Content]

Poor production form the Russians as usual, I have not found a different angle from this knockdown. Nevertheless, there was contact from Smith's glove before Magomed Kurbanov hit the floor. Magomed Kurbanov, was evading Liam Smith's left hand by ducking then he ( Kurbanov ) pivot to his right but made contact with Liam's left-leg, so the Russian was off balance when Smith threw the left-hook.
                There was a slight contact but it didn't look like it was the cause of Kubanov going down to me. Looked like he would have gone down without the punch landing. Obviously without seeing the feet it's hard to tell but looking at it I would guess he pivoted over the leg or tripped over Beffy's foot (or possibly Smith trod on his foot as he adjusted with his lead leg - you see a little step right before Kurbov goes down) Judgement call but from the angles we've got I'd say no knockdown.

Comment

There was a slight contact but it didn't look like it was the cause of Kubanov going down to me. Looked like he would have gone down without the punch landing. Obviously without seeing the feet it's hard to tell but looking at it I would guess he pivoted over the leg or tripped over Beffy's foot (or possibly Smith trod on his foot as he adjusted with his lead leg - you see a little step right before Kurbov goes down) Judgement call but from the angles we've got I'd say no knockdown.

Here is the '' knockdown '' of Magomed Kurbanov vs. Stepan Horvath. You can see this happened to him before.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post

Here is the '' knockdown '' of Magomed Kurbanov vs. Stepan Horvath. You can see this happened to him before.
                    Always gonna be a risky business trying to dance around too much close in... Matter of time before you go over someone's sleg or get caught while you're off balnce. In fact it could even be that the KD 'punch' Beefy landed was actually more of a disguised push as he noticed Kurbanov's legs weren't under him properly... veteran move if so, but it almost looks as if Beefy just pushes his his fist out rather than actually throws with the intent of landing a scoring shot.

Either way Magomed is decent fighter but he's got a good bit of development still to do I think. Dude ain't gonna get what he needs fighting local stiffs out of Ekaterineburg either... do him some good to relocate to the US for a while I reckon.

Comment

Always gonna be a risky business trying to dance around too much close in... Matter of time before you go over someone's sleg or get caught while you're off balnce. In fact it could even be that the KD 'punch' Beefy landed was actually more of a disguised push as he noticed Kurbanov's legs weren't under him properly... veteran move if so, but it almost looks as if Beefy just pushes his his fist out rather than actually throws with the intent of landing a scoring shot.

Either way Magomed is decent fighter but he's got a good bit of development still to do I think. Dude ain't gonna get what he needs fighting local stiffs out of Ekaterineburg either... do him some good to relocate to the US for a while I reckon.
                      You said it, veteran-tactics and Smith's experience at world-level made this fight complicated for the kid. Magomed, is going to have a hard time with a prime and well schooled contender, hes not ready to Tim Tszyu ; Tim has wanted to fight in Russia, as thats where his boxing roots are based. Magomed Kurbanov, is the #1. 154 from Russia, if Tim beats him he will also become #1. in Russia by virtue of his blood-line and also be the #1. Aussie.

Comment

Working...
                      X