No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Judging The Judges: Smith-Vlasov Scorecard Analysis

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldTerry View Post
    It looked like a draw to me. Vlasov was headed for a win through round ten but Smit's performance in 11 and 12 pulled him even. The Joe Smith that fought last night was out of gas early.
    It's pretty obvious why. He gassed out looking for one shot way too much. He thought he was going to blast through Vlasov and Vlasov knew it too. He was much more evasive and awkward than Smith thought he would be. Smith underperformed and Vlasov fought to the best of his abilities. Smith threw way too many wide shots and head hunted too much. If he used a double and triple jab more often and put the straight right or right cross behind it he would've had more success. Vlasov saw how Bivol was successful against Smith and used that as a blueprint while implementing his unorthodox movement and threw light shots all night, knowing that they would catch Smith who got more frustrated as the fight went on.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackR0bbb View Post
      Not much controversy here. I scored it a draw. Vlasov was ahead 6-4 on my card until he faded badly in 11 and 12. No robbery at all. Vlasov made this fight harder than it needed to be by neglecting the body. Would love a rematch, but we all know Bob wants to see the white Main Street American vs. the Russian.
      I agree that it was close. I had Vlasov by a point but I don't think it's so much Bob wanting to see the white Main Street American vs the Russian as it is Bob would rather get more money in the bigger matchup/unification bout against Beterbiev than rematching the lesser known, non belt holding Vlasov for less money knowing that Vlasov could win the rematch and spoil those plans.

Comment

I was going for Vlasov. But thought Smith did enough to win.
        Vlasov clinched too much and didn't throw enough punches, probably because he was gassed halfway through the fight.

That's a question for Vlasov camp. Dietitian or conditioning, etc.
        Vlasov has interesting style, but needs to throw more punches.

Comment

So even though it was clearly a rabbit punch and the ref signalled no KD, one of the judges still scored the round 10-8 for Smith, so that Vlasov would need a KO to win the fight? That's the sort of BS that makes the corruption obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by chaosisme View Post
            Watching this fight again now on mute. I've only given Smith one of the first 6 rounds. Draw, 115-113 either way is an ok score. 8-4 Vlasov isn't out of the question either. 116-112 is my score. Rounds 4, 7, 11, and 12 for Smith.
            Yeah but are you watching in slow motion, 8k, with any visible crowd cut out?

Sarcasm aside, I understand what you are trying to achieve by saying stuff like this.
            But it ignores something pretty key... all fights are scored live. Its probably true people are better judges after the fact, but that's not the dynamic available to judges on fight night
            Rewatching a fight in an attempt to review is nearly always going to differ from the time limited, unknowing nature of scoring live... if not in end result, then definitely in criteria

YoungManRumble likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post

Yeah but are you watching in slow motion, 8k, with any visible crowd cut out?

Sarcasm aside, I understand what you are trying to achieve by saying stuff like this.
              But it ignores something pretty key... all fights are scored live. Its probably true people are better judges after the fact, but that's not the dynamic available to judges on fight night
              Rewatching a fight in an attempt to review is nearly always going to differ from the time limited, unknowing nature of scoring live... if not in end result, then definitely in criteria

Sorry, I won't score fights anymore unless I'm sitting ringside wearing a bowtie. I usually rewind each round a few times and THEN wait for the slow motion replays in between the rounds before I decide on who won the round. But then, I wait until the end of the fight to hear the judge's cards. Then I wait to see on boxrec which judges scored which round for who. Then I watch the fight again to see if I agree with the official judges and adjust my score accordingly. Not until then, have I finalized my scorecard. Sarcasm aside...

If a boxing forum isn't a place to discuss the outcomes of fights, then I'm not sure what the point of this forum is. Maybe I need to make more posts about haters and how they have double standards regarding my guys and other important things like A-side/B-side. It won't happen again, seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by chaosisme View Post

Sorry, I won't score fights anymore unless I'm sitting ringside wearing a bowtie. I usually rewind each round a few times and THEN wait for the slow motion replays in between the rounds before I decide on who won the round. But then, I wait until the end of the fight to hear the judge's cards. Then I wait to see on boxrec which judges scored which round for who. Then I watch the fight again to see if I agree with the official judges and adjust my score accordingly. Not until then, have I finalized my scorecard. Sarcasm aside...

If a boxing forum isn't a place to discuss the outcomes of fights, then I'm not sure what the point of this forum is. Maybe I need to make more posts about haters and how they have double standards regarding my guys and other important things like A-side/B-side. It won't happen again, seriously.
                You’re free to discuss whatever you want, never suggested otherwise. My point is simply using a review to back a scoring discussion can be easily challenged. I’d be more interested to hear your fight night scoring as well as media scoring for this fight

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                  I had Vlasov winning 116-112 and that was probably being generous to Smith.
                  The scorecards and punchstats was total bs! The announcers had a clear agenda and was literally screaming at the top of their lungs as-if they were in Smiths corner. They was practically yelling out for him to go to the body and screaming advice.

The sport is so predictable you don't even need to watch it half the time to know the outcome. It was totally obvious going in with how much they're clammering for Smith vs Beterbiev and what for other than to keep the Beterbiev hypetrain rolling as Smith sure as hell doesn't have a prayer.
                  I have to second all of this. Vlasov came forward the majority of the night and always looked confident. Smith looked rusty, sloppy, and undertrained especially early on. He was often pushed back and spent more time against the ropes or in the corner that Vlasov ever did. Smith missed wide with a lot of punches. I know Vlasov is that jerky jerky awkward style with the hands down not many appreciate. Still he stuck his face right out there and threw all night and dodge punches too. With his hands down low he still didn’t get taken out. The commentators were touting smith as one of the hardest punches in the whole sport. They met expressing his feel good story and what a great victory it would be for him. I’m such the Russian has a story that is on a level well beyond that. I knew that Smith would get the nod like you said. I like Smith, but I’d still hate seeing my least favourite lose a fight I think he should have one. A draw wouldn’t have bothered me too much. I just think Vlasov fought his fight and did the better work. I feel for him. Nice to see others supporting him.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                    So even though it was clearly a rabbit punch and the ref signalled no KD, one of the judges still scored the round 10-8 for Smith, so that Vlasov would need a KO to win the fight? That's the sort of BS that makes the corruption obvious.
                    Ugh, agreed. I was wondering how he lost that point.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post

You’re free to discuss whatever you want, never suggested otherwise. My point is simply using a review to back a scoring discussion can be easily challenged. I’d be more interested to hear your fight night scoring as well as media scoring for this fight
                      I didn't score it or see all of it live. Was switching back and forth between the SHO card.

Comment

Working...
                      X