No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joe Smith: Happy They Got Vlasov Fight Done So Soon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Joe Smith: Happy They Got Vlasov Fight Done So Soon

Joe Smith already had the rest of the month planned out by the time he hit the Las Vegas strip--win the light heavyweight title, get married, enjoy his honeymoon and hunt down his next divisional target. One out of four isn't bad in the grand scheme of things.
    [Click Here To Read More]

I remember when Smith first busted out on the scene when he came in as a comeback opponent for a returning Andrei Fonfara. Fonfara caught him early on in the first round and started coming on. He got lazy and he dropped his guard as he moved in on the inside thinking that Smith had nothing. Then all of a sudden, Smith unleashed a short right that seemed to come out of nowhere and Fonfara dropped to the canvas. Fonfara looked alright when he got up, but he wasn’t. Then Smith unloaded maybe 10 - 15 unanswered punches and Fonfara collapsed in the corner. Fight instantly waved off.

Saw it live at UIC Pavillion and I was an instant fan of Joe Smith.

Comment

Good match-up this

Comment

Joe Smith lost every round to Dmitry Bivol.

I can’t wait to laugh when he’s labelled as a “world champion.”

Its really easy to be recognized as great in this sport.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
          I remember when Smith first busted out on the scene when he came in as a comeback opponent for a returning Andrei Fonfara......Saw it live at UIC Pavillion and I was an instant fan of Joe Smith.
          Thats awesome. Had to have been a great experience to see live. I remember watching that fight on TV, I was a fan of Fonfara and he had recently defeated Chavez, Jr and Nathan Cleverly. Didn't know who Smith was and the fight unfolded exactly as you described it so I won't rehash except to say it was an exciting blur. Smith went in to prove he had concussive power and now it seems he's developed his boxing skill.

Vlasov is no soft touch. He's big for LHW and he's a rugged guy with decent boxing skills. I'm curious how the delays affect both and how the lingering effects of covid affect Vlasov. I think it will be a good fight but I'm pulling for Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post

Thats awesome. Had to have been a great experience to see live. I remember watching that fight on TV, I was a fan of Fonfara and he had recently defeated Chavez, Jr and Nathan Cleverly. Didn't know who Smith was and the fight unfolded exactly as you described it so I won't rehash except to say it was an exciting blur. Smith went in to prove he had concussive power and now it seems he's developed his boxing skill.

Vlasov is no soft touch. He's big for LHW and he's a rugged guy with decent boxing skills. I'm curious how the delays affect both and how the lingering effects of covid affect Vlasov. I think it will be a good fight but I'm pulling for Smith.
            Oh well UIC was jam packed with the Polish community. A sea of red and white. Everyone was shocked it was so nuts. Crazy event. I texted my one polish friend that Fonfara got KOed. He replied, “what a bum”. Hahahahaha.

And that fight put him on the map. Then the next fight, he retires Hopkins and hands him his first KO loss. Literally knocks him out of the ring and had Hopkins in tears!

He hasn’t even won a major title yet and he’s already had a successful career.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneMosleySr View Post
              Joe Smith lost every round to Dmitry Bivol.

I can’t wait to laugh when he’s labelled as a “world champion.”

Its really easy to be recognized as great in this sport.
              He was definitely outboxed for 11+ rounds but as I recall, he hurt Bivol bad late in the 12th round. Even Bivol admitted as much. Smith seems to have improved his boxing since that fight and his wins over Hart and Alvarez attest to that.

Comment

Winner of that fight should fight Bivol or Beterbiev next because these guys are not world champion level.

Comment

War Joe Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by PBR Streetgang View Post

Smith is building a pretty decent resume. Vlasov is no slouch and should Smith walk through Vlasov I'd pick him over Beterbiev!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X