Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How dangerous was David Tua in his prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Tua seemed changed after that Ibeabuchi fight. He’d often get charmed into a pitty pat boxing session (Byrd, Rahman) and/or circle away from a fight if it didn’t seem to go his way (Lewis). And then there was fights like Moorer and Ruiz which were left hook cannon fodder. Ultimately Tua was an exciting fighter when he would connect! But I don’t think he had the world champion mindset to WIN in those tough tricky fights. but he had one hell of a left hook and enough tools to hang with anyone and earn his respect.

    Comment


    • #22
      more dangerous version that Chisora in terms of levels. Different style though.

      Tua is vastly overrated. He was a solid contender but if you had a decent jab and reach, he was useless, a bit like Chisora.

      like Chisora, he could compete with most, but never quite good enough to get to the next level and beat top fighters.
      Last edited by deathofaclown; 03-24-2021, 05:33 AM.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
        more dangerous version that Chisora in terms of levels. Different style though.

        Tua is vastly overrated. He was a solid contender but if you had a decent jab and reach, he was useless, a bit like Chisora.

        like Chisora, he could compete with most, but never quite good enough to get to the next level and beat top fighters.
        He was dangerous in the fact that? There was no real answer to his power. Sometimes you just had to avoid it.

        I think he was better than Derek Chisora.

        He was a bit one paced, which is a trait I do not like in a fighter. Canelo Alvarez is one paced.

        See what you say about a decent jab and reach? That mentality has got everyone thinking a decent jab and reach is all you need in the heavyweight game.

        That is why hardly any heavyweights can fight on the inside these days.

        Ruiz Junior, Chisora are probably the only heavyweights who can really fight on the inside. Fury gives it a go, but is extremely clumsy.
        Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 03-24-2021, 06:37 AM.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by PRINCEKOOL View Post

          He was dangerous in the fact that? There was no really answer to his power. Sometimes you just had to avoid it.

          I think he was better than Derek Chisora.

          He was a bit one paced, which is a trait I do not like in a fighter. Canelo Alvarez is one paced.

          See what you say about a decent jab and reach? That mentality has got everyone thinking a decent jab and reach is all you need in the heavyweight game.

          That is why hardly any heavyweights can fight on the inside these days.

          Ruiz Junior, Chisora are probably the only heavyweights who can really fight on the inside. Fury gives it a go, but is extremely clumsey.
          Interesting seeing as Fury beat an undefeated Chisora on the inside in their first fight.

          Anyway, Tua showed he struggled to be effective against a decent long jab, that’s why I come to that conclusion. There was a bit of a blueprint that he couldn’t overcome.

          He was probably a better fighter to watch than Del Boy in terms of power and putting punches together, But I feel he had similar shortcomings and also could never really make that leap from being a competitor to actually beating the top guys.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post

            Interesting seeing as Fury beat an undefeated Chisora on the inside in their first fight.

            Anyway, Tua showed he struggled to be effective against a decent long jab, that’s why I come to that conclusion. There was a bit of a blueprint that he couldn’t overcome.

            He was probably a better fighter to watch than Del Boy in terms of power and putting punches together, But I feel he had similar shortcomings and also could never really make that leap from being a competitor to actually beating the top guys.
            Chisora was weighing what 280 pounds? badly out of shape. That fight was also a close fight.

            Only David Haye & Dillian Whyte are the only fighters to fight Chisora on the inside and spark him out.

            Fury is clumsy on the inside, but he gives it a go.

            He is better than Joshua on the inside. Joshua has good mid-range game, but wow seems to have not developed any inside game at all.
            Last edited by PRINCEKOOL; 03-24-2021, 06:56 AM.

            Comment

            Working...
            X
            TOP