Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not a Mayweather fan, but boxing is much better with him.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post

This simply isn't true. He is a star because of the persona he projects on TV. The 24/7 series with De La Hoya had more to do with his 'star power' than his actual work in the ring.

People are tuning in to see the big mouth get shut. That was his angle, and it worked to perfection. But don't think for a second that his work inside of the ring is what made him a star.

The guy couldn't even sell out an arena in his own hometown. He was a virtual unknown before winning the De La Hoya sweepstakes.
    • The guy couldn't even sell out an arena in his own hometown.

What fight are you talking about?
    hometown: Grand rapids Mich (btw)
    Because the carlos rios fight was sold out..when he last fought in Grand rapids..

• He is a star because of the persona he projects on TV. The 24/7 series with De La Hoya had more to do with his 'star power' than his actual work in the ring.

People are tuning in to see the big mouth get shut. That was his angle, and it worked to perfection. But don't think for a second that his work inside of the ring is what made him a star.

The fact of the matter is Floyd Mayweather Is the highest grossing Boxer in Boxing History BEHIND Oscar and Tyson.
    and the has sold more P.P.V's than any boxing match that didn't feature a heavyweight or a Oscar De La Hoya.
    FACTS ARE FACTS. cant change facts .

like Michael Herron once wrote:

When you look pass the money, Mayweather and even the former P4P king Roy Jones are actually truer to pure boxing than most big names in the sport.

These two fighters are actually marketed for their skill set,not their personalities.

De La Hoya on the other hand, sells his Pay-Per-Views based on personality and charm alone, not boxing ability.

Is this why we watch boxing, to see personalities joust or skills clash?

When you pay to see Floyd, the expectation is that you will see the best skills in boxing. When you pay to see Oscar, there are no expectations,

he could win or lose with no penalty.

If Mayweather or Jones lose a fight, they lose everything.

They are burdened with having to be perfect. The repercussions of Jones' losses to Tarver and Johnson is the perfect example of why Mayweather knows he can't lose. If he were to be defeated, proponents and detractors in this “unforgiving sport” would attempt to destroy everything he has fought for.

Mayweather knowing this STILL moved up 5 weight classes giving up all physical advantages to prove he was great therefore risking everything he has work for .. just to achive greatness...

Floyd Mayweather is adding to his popularity everyday and he added to his “popularity” even more in the Hatton fight. He had overwhelming support because of the British fans booed the National Anthem...
    You can hear the fans Screaming "U.S.A" and "FLOYD" throughout the whole fight....But I think that was just for that fight you never know though

But Now...

"Floyd is more Notorious rather than popular."

Floyd Mayweather is the most "Notorious" fighter in the game... He is without a doubt the most “Famous”
    His "Fame" is second to only Oscar among Active Fighters
    He is the most "Revered" boxer in the game... Floyd will never be the most Popular (loved) fighter right now because he has chosen to take the bad guy road... it doesnt meaned he isnt popular but he is more Notorious right now rather than Popular

Comment

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
      Boxing is much more exciting now that he's back. While he was gone, I was hoping he'd come back. I'm not a fan of Mayweather, but boxing is better with him. It's great entertainment.
      i agree completely. i dont always like his antics. sometimes they are a little to juvenile; even for boxing's standards.

I think he's a great showman. He brings the entertainment/buzz aspect to the limelight of the sport.

I admire floyds work in the ring though. pot shotting or not. whatever the arguement is he's still a talented/skilled fighter who brings the drama to the sport that i feel it lacks sometimes.

boxing needs outspoken showmen. just look at the hype guys like ali created that made boxing so popular. im not saying it would have been boring without guys like ali but they bring a new dynamic to the sport and always seem to turn casual fans into hardcore ones.

same thing goes for mayweather. at the very least he'll create drama and buzz against himself. playing the villan role. but in the end it doesnt matter because it always puts butts in the seats.

Floyd very well may be the fighter that creates the most buzz and sales who is most hated.

he fills up the seats with people wanting to see him fail. but what does he care? he's still putting their butts in the seats...no matter if they are rooting for or against him it still brings attention and money into his pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dominicano. View Post
        You're a loser, really are. To constantly hate on a fighter over a forum, that's loser written all over it.
        Awww you poor baby... I dont know if you know this or not but the world aint perfect. There are people like me and morons like you...I can HATE who I want. And you know what...I dont care if you like it or not. Like im the only one who hates on Dumb ass Floyd. LOL Blow your nose ya big baby
        Last edited by PAC-BOY; 08-26-2009, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KingTito View Post
          Boxing is much more exciting now that he's back. While he was gone, I was hoping he'd come back. I'm not a fan of Mayweather, but boxing is better with him. It's great entertainment.
          only if floyd actually fights people we wanna see him fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Horus View Post
            • The guy couldn't even sell out an arena in his own hometown.

What fight are you talking about?
            hometown: Grand rapids Mich (btw)
            Because the carlos rios fight was sold out..when he last fought in Grand rapids..
            Actually, he's fought twice in Grand Rapids, the last time was in 2001 against N'Dou, and the fight actually did not sell out.

• He is a star because of the persona he projects on TV. The 24/7 series with De La Hoya had more to do with his 'star power' than his actual work in the ring.

The fact of the matter is Floyd Mayweather Is the highest grossing Boxer in Boxing History BEHIND Oscar and Tyson.
            and the has sold more P.P.V's than any boxing match that didn't feature a heavyweight or a Oscar De La Hoya.
            FACTS ARE FACTS. cant change facts .

The fact is that Floyd is only the 3rd highest grossing fighter because he played the B-side on the biggest fight of all time, then played another B-side to a fighter who has probably the second largest following in the sport.

I dare you to prove that Floyd was any type of a draw before the De La Hoya fight.
            like Michael Herron once wrote:

When you look pass the money, Mayweather and even the former P4P king Roy Jones are actually truer to pure boxing than most big names in the sport.

These two fighters are actually marketed for their skill set,not their personalities.

De La Hoya on the other hand, sells his Pay-Per-Views based on personality and charm alone, not boxing ability.

Is this why we watch boxing, to see personalities joust or skills clash?

When you pay to see Floyd, the expectation is that you will see the best skills in boxing. When you pay to see Oscar, there are no expectations,

he could win or lose with no penalty.
            Do not see the point of this? Floyd's biggest fights were definitely not marketed around his supreme boxing ability. They were marketed around his 'bad guy' persona. This was likely written before the De la Hoya fight, because any moron could see that Floyd's appeal to casual onlookers is the fact that he's loud, brash, and ****y.

If Mayweather or Jones lose a fight, they lose everything.

They are burdened with having to be perfect. The repercussions of Jones' losses to Tarver and Johnson is the perfect example of why Mayweather knows he can't lose. If he were to be defeated, proponents and detractors in this “unforgiving sport” would attempt to destroy everything he has fought for.

Mayweather knowing this STILL moved up 5 weight classes giving up all physical advantages to prove he was great therefore risking everything he has work for .. just to achive greatness...

Floyd Mayweather is adding to his popularity everyday and he added to his “popularity” even more in the Hatton fight. He had overwhelming support because of the British fans booed the National Anthem...
            You can hear the fans Screaming "U.S.A" and "FLOYD" throughout the whole fight....But I think that was just for that fight you never know though

But Now...

"Floyd is more Notorious rather than popular."

Floyd Mayweather is the most "Notorious" fighter in the game... He is without a doubt the most “Famous”
            His "Fame" is second to only Oscar among Active Fighters
            He is the most "Revered" boxer in the game... Floyd will never be the most Popular (loved) fighter right now because he has chosen to take the bad guy road... it doesnt meaned he isnt popular but he is more Notorious right now rather than Popular
            This contradicts the point you were trying to make with the quote above. First you say he is marketed around his boxing ability, and the last part you say he is notorious.

Comment

yes it good to see him back...I'm glad

Comment

Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post

Do not see the point of this? Floyd's biggest fights were definitely not marketed around his supreme boxing ability. They were marketed around his 'bad guy' persona. This was likely written before the De la Hoya fight, because any moron could see that Floyd's appeal to casual onlookers is the fact that he's loud, brash, and ****y.

FLOYD IS A DRAW BECAUSE HE TOOK THE HARD ROAD..!

Pacquiao is a draw because of his nationality, because he is the pride of the pinnoys. Who else do the pinnoys have to support...Pacquiao has a complete Monopoly on a entire group of people, which is Asians.
                What Other Asian Fighter rivals Pacquiao Stardom...
                So he will always be popular because his people will support him.

Once Again:
                The difference is Mayweather sells his skills, meaning when people pay to see mayweather fight the are paying to see the a person who everybody consider one of the best if not the best.
                • Mayweather doesnt have a monopoly on the American Public.
                • Mayweather doesnt have a built in fanbase like most latin fighters do,
                • Mayweather has to sell his skills to be a draw. NOT WAVE A FLAG...!

In general most latin fighters have built in fan bases so they only need to be marginally good in order for them to attract fans because latin fans support their fighters.
                Example: Chris Arreolya, Miguel Cotto, Juan Diaz, Juan Manuel Lopez.

But that is not the case for fighters of different races who dont have built in fan bases.

Imagine if Paul Williams was Cuban or Rican or even more mexican, he would be the biggest sensation since the remote control.

But Paul Williams isnt latin so he doesnt have that built in fanbase..
                so that means he has to earn his fanbase through his skills and some kind of gimmick to get fans of other races who usally only support their fighters to come support him. Especially since boxing isnt a mainstrem sport anymore.

Mayweather is the biggest draw since oscar retired.
                The only person you can compare Mayweather too is Oscar that's it.
                and Oscar is the biggest draw of all time so that tells you everything you need to know right there.

Oscar was a draw because of his personality and nationality, so that means he could win or lose and it will not effect his market value.

Mayweather had to go the hard road to become a draw.
                He didnt have to luxury of built in fan bases and a monopoly on a entire group of people. Like Pacquiao and most Latin fighters have.

I say Mayweather is more Notorious than Popular...Because most people judged being a draw.. based on popularity. and that is not true.

Floyd notoriety, fame, and prestige is what sell's the fight's not his popularity ....
                • Floyd being "Notorious".... sells the fight
                • Floyd being "Famous".... sells the fight
                • Floyd being "Prestigious".... sells the fight

Once Again:
                The difference is Mayweather sells his skills, meaning when people pay to see mayweather fight the are paying to see the a person who everybody consider one of the best if not the best.

People just don’t come to see Floyd lose just like they just didn’t come to see Ali lose...

People come because they are interested in Floyd.
                He is a "hot rod" for debate as we see in the millions of threads, articles, stories, and interviews we see made about him....
                1. If you think Floyd wasn’t half the reason for the first de la hoya P.P.V numbers then your crazy...
                2. If you think Floyd wasn’t Majority of the reason for the Hatton fight then you’re crazy...
                3. HBO, WWE, Rock Star understands this that's why they give him so much money...

This is why Ross Greenburg, president of HBO Sports was recently quoted by ESPN in regards to Mayweather Jr's return.

Greenburg declared if Mayweather Jr does comeback, it will be no different than when Peyton Manning and Tom Brady

left their sports after being out for a year. Greenburg stated: "If he does come back, it will be no different than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady coming back to their teams after being out for a year."

Greenburg went on to add that Mayweather Jr's return to boxing may mean more to the sport because Boxing lacks the depth right now in star power: "Picture LeBron or Kobe taking off a couple of years and then coming back. Floyd may mean more to his sport than they do because we don't have the depth of star power in boxing as they do in those sports," stated Greenburg

So how can you say he is not a draw
                Last edited by Horus; 08-26-2009, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                  not arguing and where did i insult you? I meant no disrespect except for your comment was ****** for saying anyone or Me can achieve what another man has done. Other than that I cant see where i did...Clarify .
                  You called me a loser. I don't get into childish name calling battles over the computer. I'm not saying that no one will ever be as talented as Floyd. It's great to have high goals and go after them. I certainly do. The sky is the limit for anyone. I'm just sorry if I find hard to believe that you're as skilled as Floyd. It's just ****** to hate on a professional fighter, let alone someone like Floyd, over the computer. You say you love boxing, well then show respect to all fighters regardless of what style they have. If a fighter cheats or does something di****able, then I can understand where disrespect can warranted, but someone like Floyd who has dedicated his life to the sport and generated as much money as he has you shouldn't disrespect. I'm not talking **** on anyone I don't know, and I sure as hell won't do it to a professional in the sport that I love.

Comment

This thread got me thinking.. has there ever been a Floyd thread which hasn't turned into a hate thread

Comment

Originally posted by Real OG View Post
                      This thread got me thinking.. has there ever been a Floyd thread which hasn't turned into a hate thread
                      Not really OG. There needs to be a Mr boat buyer forum for the constant flame threads concernin him, so NSB can let the 5 or 6 cats who wanna talk boxing do their thing in peace.

Comment

Working...
                      X