Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jones looked great tonight, but lets not get carried away.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Haglerwins View Post
    Hopkins is not a robot incapable of doing what's necessary to win. Hop breaks you down on tape. Roy doesn't survive it. He will go after that chin, he will beat Roy on the ropes and not let up because video evidence will show that's where Roy is weakest. Jones won't even fight you back into the middle of the ring for goodness sakes. He prefers to lay on them and keep the fight there if you're willing. It's a big problem for any elite fight Jr. takes. They will all opt to push him back then to keep it center.

I'm willing to change my mind if Roy shows me something, but even then there's still the chin issue.
    He is if it requires over exerting himself. I see your point 100% btw, I just think it would still be a good fight for both fighters. I just hear a lot of how Hop is sindestructible after the Pav fight and Roy can only beat tomato cans and I think those are both exremes. If the fight happens unless I get great odds I wouldnt bet either way.

Comment

• Originally posted by ReppinDubK View Post
      He is if it requires over exerting himself. I see your point 100% btw, I just think it would still be a good fight for both fighters. I just hear a lot of how Hop is sindestructible after the Pav fight and Roy can only beat tomato cans and I think those are both exremes. If the fight happens unless I get great odds I wouldnt bet either way.
      Well the Lacy fight is very misleading. Jeff brought NOTHING to the table. No power display, 0 boxing I.Q. He couldn't even work out how to set for a counter. He brought absolutely nothing but ineffective pressure. He was clueless and it made him a virtual punching bag.

I want to see Roy get cute with the combos if Bernard slugs him in the face. I want to see if he'll throw punches then when on the ropes.

Comment

Im not saying Roy beats him, Im saying he can win rounds and make it a good fight. If Roy goes into his shell it becomes the most boring fight ever because BHop still will not open up. If Roy had it in him to keep the fight in the middle of the ring I think he easily beats Hop, but thats not this version of Roy at all. BHop is still a great fighter and belongs at the top of whatever division he fights in, but hes not as quick and agile as Pavlik made him look. BHop is still a middle aged man regardless of what shape hes in and Roy still possesses superior hand speed.
        The ****. Ah man, this thread was made to get people into not believeing the smoke and mirrors illusion from last night. FFs, Tito Trinidad put up a better fighgt after years of inactivity. All Roy has is handspeed. His legs are gone, his stamina is not there, he has no head movement, and his defense is non existant. You're acting as if Hopkins ever lses in the middle of the ring, and is there to get hit. Joe Calzaghe isn't exactly a defensive master, and he was slipping Jones's telegraphed punches. Roy is shot, open your eyes. he lost in decisive fashion twice to Tarver 5 years ago, and Tarver doesn't have 1/4th the skills of Hopkins, and is much slower.

Comment

It isn't that. Against the elite over the past few years Hopkins has more or less dominated, while Jones has been KOed a few times, and has struggled with fighters like Hanshaw and Babalu Ajajwalu.

Comment

• Originally posted by street bully View Post
            It isn't that. Against the elite over the past few years Hopkins has more or less dominated, while Jones has been KOed a few times, and has struggled with fighters like Hanshaw and Babalu Ajajwalu.
            You are ******ed. How did Jones struggle with Hanshaw? Or Prince Badi?

Jones has no defense? So then why didn't Jeff Lacy knock him out? Did you even watch the fight? Roy Jones put on a text book display of fighting off the ropes. A masterpiece James Toney or Bernard Hopkins would have been proud to call their own.

Comment

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
              You are ******ed. How did Jones struggle with Hanshaw? Or Prince Badi?

Jones has no defense? So then why didn't Jeff Lacy knock him out? Did you even watch the fight? Roy Jones put on a text book display of fighting off the ropes. A masterpiece James Toney or Bernard Hopkins would have been proud to call their own.
              All you resort to instead of stating you opinion in a sensible manner is labelling anyone who has a different opinion as a "******". Jones struggled with Hanshaw. Fact is no top fighter should lose more than two rounds to him. Also when was the last time Lacy knocked anybody out? This is a man who went life and death with Peter Manfredo. It isn't hard to look spectacular against Jeff Lacy, all he did was stand in front of him throwing wide shots with no movement. I give Jones credit for getting the job done in style, but Lacy is a C level fighter nothing more, and Jones can clown all over these second tier guys, and then scrubs like yourself will come out of the woodwork saying he can do the same to fighters that are not punching bags. The min he steps in there with a top opponent people will come back to their senses, just likeafter he beat Trinidad.

Now **** off with your personal attacks, and make some threads defending that quitter you like so much.

Comment

• Roy Jones was always a very overrated fighter in my opinion. I could understand it back then, but I don't know why he is still overrated even now. The guy has never had a boxing IQ and he got by on pure athletic ability. The only real elite level opponent that Roy beat during his 175 days was a prime Montell Griffin. And where are the Nunns, Benns, and McClellans on Roy's resume? Toney was weight drained even though it was still an outstanding victory. And the Hopkins fight wasn't one-sided at all. Roy Jones is the king of excuses when it comes to not performing up to standards. And that is why I don't believe that so-called hand injury he had during that fight. To be fair though, Hopkins and Jones are both to blame for not fighting a rematch with each other.

Comment

• Originally posted by street bully View Post
                  All you resort to instead of stating you opinion in a sensible manner is labelling anyone who has a different opinion as a "******". Jones struggled with Hanshaw. Fact is no top fighter should lose more than two rounds to him. Also when was the last time Lacy knocked anybody out? This is a man who went life and death with Peter Manfredo. It isn't hard to look spectacular against Jeff Lacy, all he did was stand in front of him throwing wide shots with no movement. I give Jones credit for getting the job done in style, but Lacy is a C level fighter nothing more, and Jones can clown all over these second tier guys, and then scrubs like yourself will come out of the woodwork saying he can do the same to fighters that are not punching bags. The min he steps in there with a top opponent people will come back to their senses, just likeafter he beat Trinidad.

Now **** off with your personal attacks, and make some threads defending that quitter you like so much.
                  Bingo. And did people not see of how Andre Dirrel walked through that guy like a knife through hot butter?

Comment

• As a big RJ fan who grew up watching him in the mid to late 90's I'm happy to see him win against even a limited Lacy. But people have to understand that during his peak (which was probably around 2002 Clinton Woods actually) Roy was an athletic freak. If you watch footage of Roy from then and compare it to Roy's fights now you'd have to be blind not to see that he's not even 50 percent of his peak. The prime Roy was like lightning, this Roy has no legs and half the reflexes he once had which made him so good. Roy made his career based on pure athleticism and a one of a kind unorthodox style that was never seen before. Sad fact is that's all gone now as time does that to everyone, people just need to let go and remember Roy for how good he was when he was at his best, not how far he fell after he lost a step.

Comment

I understand everybody not getting carried away after this win, but give Roy his props he looked great and hes 40yrs old. All this B.S about he only looked good against a limited slugger who was moving up in weight, sounds similar to the BHop-Pavlik fight to me. Roy still has the handspeed to give a lot of fighters problems, but he should stay away from the Dawsons and Adameks. BHop could do much better against those fighters because of his defensive skills which are much better than Roys, but because of Roys speed he could still give BHop lots and lots of problems.
                      I stopped reading your post after I saw that.

Comment

Working...
                      X