No announcement yet.

De La Hoya Blog: It's Time For Jones To Walk Away

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hard Knocks View Post
    Then what stop the fight from happening if Jones jr agreed to 50-50?
    bernard went on record at btalk.com (i actually published these articles on here).. and said id fight roy 50-50.. id treat him like the legend he is.. not less than 24 hours later.. roy came back on and said that sounds great! im excited! tell him send the contract ill sign and send it right back at 50.50

he called btalk the next day and was pissed.. and hes like.. u know what this contract says... after GBP takes 25% off the top... then its 50-50... "that done sound like no 50-50 to me"..

btalk then had a poll about if the contract was fair, and 70% said no, based on what bernard said... bernard wasnt on btalk for like 4 months after that

this is all 100% accurate.. i was following it extremely closely... and i can prolly dig up the article on here...

the fact that bernard is a partner in GBP he is getting more than 50-50...

either way, the way bernard made it sound... was an even steven deal.. and even greg leon was surprised...
    Last edited by THE REED; 08-13-2009, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
      he loses to lacy... its one final fight... in his hometown pensacola... and thatll be it... his last fight will be in pensacola no matter what.
      Good point, but if he was to lose to Lacy, then it would have to be against a sure win opponent... go out on a win.

I feel for Roy, he loves the sport you can tell, that's why he is sticking to it, he wants to turn back time and go back to his prime years... if anyone deserves to be able to still be competitive (you know what I mean, like Hopkins) then its Roy IMO.

Comment

yes, he should retire

Comment

Originally posted by catalinul View Post
          Fast?Lacy hasn't been fast for years.

He ain't much beter now than Sheika.

I ain't really giving Lacy a shot in this fight unless Jones stays on the ropes WAY to much.And there is a slight chance that might happen but Lacy ain't got no leverage,no power,no speed left.

Jones should win easily.
          i hope so.. ill be ringside... i used to hold my breath at how ridiculous he was.. now i hold my breath hoping nothing bad happens to him

Comment

i hope so.. ill be ringside... i used to hold my breath at how ridiculous he was.. now i hold my breath hoping nothing bad happens to him
            You mang, and rizi rolling together?

Comment

Originally posted by street bully View Post
              You mang, and rizi rolling together?
              yep... mangler will be at my house tonight around 11ish...

then were driving to buffalo at 3am... my boy from DC and rizi from miami... we are flying and meeting at the ATL airport... and then were all flyin together to biloxi...

we all got floor seats together

Comment

maybe... would depend tho... if roy is at CW... and bernard wants to go up and fight roy for his CW title (should he get it) i see that as being another disaster
                Roy would have leverage with the belt, assuming he gets it.

But Bernard would have much more pull when it comes to competition, assuming he beats Dawson. (Who is likely to beat Johnson in the rematch.)

Assuming it all goes the way we've discussed it ; He'd be coming into that fight with back to back wins over Pavlik and Dawson, plus being the #1 Light Heavyweight in the world, and possibly P4P#2 depending on how Floyd/Marquez and Cotto/Manny play out.

Which brings pu something else ; if bernard did beat Dawson, and Marquez lost to Floyd, and Manny lost to Cotto ; where would Bernard be in the P4P list?

He's 3 right now.

If Manny loses you'd think he goes down, same with Marquez.

And Hopkins beating Dawson would be no easy task.

Is it possible he could become P4P#1 again, at the age of 45?

Comment

Same here, I get nervous and start to hope and wish old Roy jones Jr back, I'll be watching, I hope I don't faint.

Long live our boxing god!!!!
                  No one comes close. RJJ

Comment

whoop oscars ass next roy!!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                      Roy would have leverage with the belt, assuming he gets it.

But Bernard would have much more pull when it comes to competition, assuming he beats Dawson. (Who is likely to beat Johnson in the rematch.)

Assuming it all goes the way we've discussed it ; He'd be coming into that fight with back to back wins over Pavlik and Dawson, plus being the #1 Light Heavyweight in the world, and possibly P4P#2 depending on how Floyd/Marquez and Cotto/Manny play out.

Which brings pu something else ; if bernard did beat Dawson, and Marquez lost to Floyd, and Manny lost to Cotto ; where would Bernard be in the P4P list?

He's 3 right now.

If Manny loses you'd think he goes down, same with Marquez.

And Hopkins beating Dawson would be no easy task.

Is it possible he could become P4P#1 again, at the age of 45?
                      i agree bernard has more pull than roy no doubt...

and yes its definitely possible... i personally dont think bernard can beat dawson.. but if he does, then that is both ridiculous... and.... ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                      X