No announcement yet.

13 Through 15: A Look at The Championship Rounds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
    Or Leonard may have turned on the gas earlier knowing there were less rounds. Same with Marciano-Walcott and other come from behind stoppages in rounds 13-15.

Impossible to tell, fighters are not robots (except maybe Felix Trinidad) so they'd react to different situations.
    I do think that Walcott would have beaten Marciano in a 12 round fight, since when Marciano did try to press the fight in rounds 9-11, he was not able to land any meaningful punches and was himself staggered by some of Walcott's counter punches. Walcott showed good movement in round 12 and even in round 13 but his handspeed and awareness had diminished just a little which allowed Marciano to land the big right as Jersey Joe was throwing one of his own.

In Leonard vs Hearns though, it was clearly Leonard's gameplan to conserve his energy for the later rounds. The detached retina he suffered was surely not a part of the gameplan however... A 12 round fight may have been completely different from the beginning with Leonard pressing the action much earlier than he did.
    Last edited by TheGreatA; 06-10-2009, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
      I do think that Walcott would have beaten Marciano in a 12 round fight, since when Marciano did try to press the fight in rounds 9-11, he was not able to land any meaningful punches and was himself staggered by some of Walcott's counter punches. Walcott showed good movement in round 12 and even in round 13 but his handspeed and awareness had diminished just little which allowed Marciano to land the big right as Jersey Joe was throwing one of his own.

In Leonard vs Hearns though, it was clearly Leonard's gameplan to conserve his energy for the later rounds. The detached retina he suffered was surely not a part of the gameplan however... A 12 round fight may have been completely different from the beginning with Leonard pressing the action much earlier than he did.
      Not that either of the fighters were the same then but Leonard vs Hearns II may have resembled what Leonard vs Hearns I would have looked like if the fight had been 12 rounds.

Leonard pushing the pace more and thus leaving himself more open for Hearns' power punches. Leonard's big rally at the end was not enough and the fight ended in controversy.

With 15 rounds, that fight too would have ended in a late round stoppage win for Leonard in my opinion.
      Last edited by TheGreatA; 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM.

Comment

There definitely needed to be 15 rounds in the Jermaine Taylor Cory Spinks fight. WHO KNOWS WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED!!! I mean Spinks may have thrown 6 punches instead of 5 in the championship rounds!

Seriously, it's one of those good/bad things in boxing. On one hand, awesome action packed fights could definitely go a few more rounds and it would be fun for everyone. But how often is that and how often do we get stinkers? John Ruiz vs ____ for 15 rounds? oh my god!

Comment

A 12-round Hagler vs Duran would have been the original Hagler vs Leonard, except even more controversial, since the judges for whatever reason had Duran ahead after 12 rounds.

Hagler of course may have been more aggressive if that had been the case but Duran did look to be in good shape until the last three rounds in which he ran out of stamina.

Comment

Originally posted by markbnlv View Post
            With out 13-15 Hearns would have won the series of fight against Leonard.
            We dont know that. He was obviously winning but SRL had in his mind that it was a 15 round fight. That automatically makes you approach it different than a 12 round fight. Maybe SRL picks up the pace sooner.

My opinion is that 15 is probably too long and 12 is probably too short and its ****** because its an even number. We should have 13 round fights. That would be perfect to me

Comment

A 12-round Hagler vs Duran would have been the original Hagler vs Leonard, except even more controversial, since the judges for whatever reason had Duran ahead after 12 rounds.

Hagler of course may have been more aggressive if that had been the case but Duran did look to be in good shape until the last three rounds in which he ran out of stamina.
              Duran had some weird sway over the judges around this period.

He gets soundly outboxed by Benitez yet one judge has him losing by just one point, another by 3, the other by 4.

He wins 4 rounds, maybe 5, against Hagler but manages to officially lose by just one point or two scorecards and two on the other.

If he'd won the 15th round and the fight against Hagler, that would've been one of the biggest robberies ever, given what was at stake.

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
                Duran had some weird sway over the judges around this period.

He gets soundly outboxed by Benitez yet one judge has him losing by just one point, another by 3, the other by 4.

He wins 4 rounds, maybe 5, against Hagler but manages to officially lose by just one point or two scorecards and two on the other.

If he'd won the 15th round and the fight against Hagler, that would've been one of the biggest robberies ever, given what was at stake.
                Agreed. I believe he lost the Kirkland Laing fight comfortably as well, yet one of the judges voted for him. I'm not sure about the Robbie Simms fight but that was another split decision.

Later on he was unfortunate not to receive decisions against Hector Camacho and Vinny Pazienza.
                Last edited by TheGreatA; 06-10-2009, 04:48 PM.

Comment

If 15 rounds existed today, Dawson would have a loss against Glen Johnson and Cotto would have a loss against Mosley.

Comment

15 rounds would of gotten delajoto KO'D by TITO.

Comment

Agreed. I believe he lost the Kirkland Laing fight comfortably as well, yet one of the judges voted for him. I'm not sure about the Robbie Simms fight but that was another split decision.

Later on he was unfortunate not to receive decisions against Hector Camacho and Vinny Pazienza.
                      The Simms fight was close, I had Simms winning but I could see how Duran won it in some eyes.

And he deserved the decision against Camacho in their first fight, I had Camacho winning 3 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X