No announcement yet.

Freddie Roach: "I think Mayweather is scared of Pacquiao"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freddie Roach: "I think Mayweather is scared of Pacquiao"

LAS VEGAS, (Reuters) - Manny Pacquiao admitted his hand was still feeling a little bruised two hours after a booming left hook knocked out Britain’s Ricky Hatton in the second round of their eagerly awaited showdown on Saturday.

The Filipino challenger claimed the IBO light-welterweight title after sending Hatton sprawling to the canvas twice in the opening round before knocking him out cold with one second remaining in the next.

“I believe it was a very hard punch,” Pacquiao told reporters after improving his career record to 49-3-2 with 37 knockouts. “My hand still hurts.”

Hatton’s assistant trainer Lee Beard said: “There was nothing Ricky could do. He got caught with a few good shots, he got back up and then obviously he got caught with that one big shot at the end.”

Although Pacquiao was widely regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, Hatton was believed to hold a size advantage at his natural weight of 140 pounds in a division where he had never previously lost.

However, Pacquiao always believed he would prove to be the stronger man.

“Before the fight, a lot of people think Ricky Hatton’s bigger than me but I didn’t put that in my mind,” said the 30-year-old, who weighed only 106 pounds on his professional debut.

“I still believe that my body’s bigger than Ricky. But with respect, he’s still a good fighter.”

Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum applauded the Filipino’s performance as “astounding” after his man had competed for only the third time above the super featherweight division.

“This kid improves with every single fight,” Arum said. “He’s doing things he wasn’t doing two or three years ago.

“His defence is now tremendous. His reflexes are tremendous. I have never seen any fighter combine the speed and the explosive power that he does.”

“I told Ricky Hatton not to be discouraged,” Arum added. “There are plenty of people out there for him to fight. Nobody in the world can beat this little Filipino.”

Pacquiao’s trainer Freddie Roach agreed.

“Manny’s unbelievable,” he said. “He makes me look good. He’s the best fighter in the world. He’s in his prime right now. He’s on top of his game. Anyone in the world, he can beat.”

Asked about the possibility of a clash with American Floyd Mayweather Jr, who announced earlier on Saturday he would return from retirement to fight Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez on July 18, Roach sounded doubtful.
    He suggested instead future matchups with WBA welterweight champion Shane Mosley and WBO holder Miguel Cotto.

I think he (Mayweather) is scared of Pacquiao,” Roach said. “If Cotto wants to come down a few pounds or if Shane Mosley wants to come down a few pounds, we can make that happen.”

Click here for the source

its true. he could have waited a day and signed to fight pacquiao

Comment

I dont believe his scared at all...

Comment

If he fights Marquez though and then retires dude's scared

Comment

Although, I do think the fight with Marquez adds a great twist to the storyline, if he does beat Marquez...I also think that Floyd is a very insecure person, despite what his words and actions might imply.

If he was so supremely confident, he would have waited, and opted to fight Pacquiao, instead of taking a tune-up.

Comment

scared???here we go..and why does cotto and mosley have to come down in weight,,he fought oscar at 147..roach is full of ****

Comment

Originally posted by cuzfozzy View Post
              its true. he could have waited a day and signed to fight pacquiao
              Even Floyd knows you dont just jump into Pac after a long lay of , Floyd has come back for Pac thats as plain as day thats why he chose JMM , all this tit for tat is about getting the fight and jockeying for negotiation power when they actually get down to it , right now the ball is in Pacs court and Floyd is on the back foot which is a good thing ,, dont come with this Floyd is scared bull**** this fight will happen , the hype is only just beginning .

Comment

Originally posted by larrysmith View Post
                scared???here we go..and why does cotto and mosley have to come down in weight,,he fought oscar at 147..roach is full of ****
                You are a ****ing tool.

He fought Oscar at 147, because he had been fighting at 154 and above for the past 8 years. It was the middle point.

Mosley and Cotto both regularly fight at 147. So again, they would want them to at least meet them half way.

Comment

because roach is smart. and they need pacquiao more than he needs them.
                  just like hatton had to come up to fight mayweather.

Comment

Haha, Floyd aint scared of anyone.

However, this is like the only way we'll see Floyd vs. Cotto which is the super fight I wanna see.

Comment

Working...
                    X