Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manny will Mess Cotto up big time.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that most underestimate about Cotto is his speed. Anyone thinking that Pac will win just because of his speed is sorely mistaken. Cotto has the power and the natural size/frame, along with his own considerable speed that Pac's advantage in the speed area would really not be enough to bank on him winning the fight with. In fact, if he fought a speed fight I would not be at all surprised if Cotto was very nearly as quick. Not as quick, but very close.

Anyway, I really don't think this would be a great fight for Pac. Nonetheless, we really don't know how well he will fare against a bigger, good guy that is able to actually fight. Until we see how he performs against Hatton we will not know at all the advantages he has. Roach knew that Oscar was done for good and that the weight drain would literally kill him. Against Hatton he will be up against a proper, natural weight, bigger fighter that is near the top of his game. Until after this fight we just don't know how well he does actually perform up this high.

It is not out of the question for him to win against the top welterweights though. It has been done by great fighters before him moving up as much weight or more in many cases, and if he is a pound for pound great as some already think he is then it should be in his capabilities. Unlike many of the older pound for pound greats that were fighting miles above their natural, best weight, they were often well past their prime and best fighting age, if not just plain old, while Pac is still in his prime years and young. While some of the greats were beating guys that are equivalent to Pac beating the top welterweights, they also did it while often well past prime and being old, so it shouldn't be completely daft to think that he could do it while still in his peak years and age. He is also not actually as small as many make him out to be. He is closer to a natural LW at least, and was only down at the low weights due to his age. Having grown into his frame though, he is probably closer to his natural fighting weight now.

Quite recently, there was a fighter that very few people know about and the incredible feat he achieved in pound for pound terms. He started out as a 130 pound (SFW) fighter and won his first title at lightweight, went unbeaten at 29-0 and beat great fighters such as Mario Martinez, Tony 'The Tiger' Lopez, Daniel Londas, Mauricio Aceves, and Antonio Rivera. He won the WBO lightweight and the WBC lightweight titles. He moved up after losing to the very fine Kyrgyzstan/Japanese, undefeated fighter Orzubek 'Gussie' Nazarov. He fought Carlos Baldomir for the WBC welterweight title and drew with him. He then won the IBO welterweight title, a minor feat yes I know, but sadly lost it on the scales. So far he has moved up from 130 to 147.

After this fight he then moved up to 168 and knocked out the fine, and prime, Glenn Catley, the WBC super-middleweight champion (who was the first to beat the 18-0 champion Markus Beyer by KO and also knocked out WBC SMW champ Eric Lucas who was only ever KO'd by Jones Jr previously and had also fought for the LHW title) to win the WBC SMW title. By this stage he was getting near forty and lost the title to Dave Hilton, had a few more fights, including fights against Kessler and Bute, and retired in 2006 after losing a national LHW fight against a previously beaten opponent. His name was Dingaan Thobela. Fought between 130 and 175 and won titles between 135 and 168. A difference of 33 pounds.

Pac has so far won titles between 112 and 135, a difference of 23 pounds and the former was when he was very young and had not grown into his natural frame which would be about 135-ish being 5'7 with a 67" reach. Unlike Thobela he is also in his prime years and not actually that small to be fighting welterweights at 5'7. After all, most WW's are actually around that size. Cotto is also 5'7 with a 67" reach interestingly enough.
    Last edited by BennyST; 02-23-2009, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by syphillis View Post
      A few months ago, the word Pac and WW was never mentioned in the same sentence. Now we're only a little more than 2 months away from his second fight in 140+ lbs. I wouldn't go as far as saying he has no business fighting the bests in WW or that he would mess up any fighters there. We can only have a better perspective after his bout with Ricky. Time will tell. I wouldn't be too quick to judge of what he can't do. He has made some of us eat our words more than a couple of times. If you're a boxing fan you know there's always a chance. If you're a hater, well good luck.
      syphillis i agree with you a 100% pac is trying to become the greatest, how are people gonna knock him back for wanting to take challenges, isn't that what a p4p best fighter is supposed to do. keep proving you are the best, these pbf fans are jealouse that he has more ballz than their idol. you should have learnt by now not to count out pac, he will end up making you look foolish.

Comment

Originally posted by silip03 View Post
        Cotto beat a bum then you compare him to marvin hagler com on
        In the first place, Jennings in not :

1. a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible,
        2. a disreputable wanderer,
        3. person who does no work,
        4. nor is he the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on.

Let`s say they have similar hairsyle, or absence of which, may remind you of the other. I can`t stand tactless haters... kinda reminds me of myself sometimes.
        Last edited by Thwf; 02-23-2009, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Libido Sanchez View Post
          Pac Fans smoke a bowl together and they don't invite me? I'm gonna remember this.

As much as you enjoyed the DLH beatdown, you should be doing what Oscar should be doing: take that fight for what is (either a dream or a nightmare) and move on. It's giving you false hope.

You won't get Cotto at 140. I know the claims that Pac "doesn't hit hard" offends you, but if Cotto can withstand Margarito's punches for that many rounds, what makes you think he's gonna be affected by Manny's power? JMM got up with no problem. If Manny gets tagged by Cotto good it will be a problem. A big problem.

Maybe Manny wins by darting in and out all night, scoring points and avoids too many power punches. But no way does he "mess Cotto up big time." The only way Pac (a fighter I like) messes up Cotto big time is if he sucker punches him while driving, lays down a banana peel on the bathroom floor, or personally gives Cotto another tattoo.
          to be fair, we really don't know how well pac can take a punch in these higher weights. it is just fair to assume that he couldn't take the punches because he was a former flyweight and was wobbled by fighters in -130... i wouldn't be shocked though if pac can take cotto's best shots.

meh. this is pointless. if "he who shall not be named" came out of retirement, this fight has no chance of happening

Comment

Originally posted by oc9979 View Post
            i didnt know manny could box
            this is hot news.

That's an old news idiot...

Comment

I only know one thing, Manny might lose, Manny might get knockdown but Manny won't be knockout again, not at this time of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by haploid View Post
                I only know one thing, Manny might lose, Manny might get knockdown but Manny won't be knockout again, not at this time of his career.
                Nothing is sure in boxing kid just like life.

Comment

manny is one of the great boxer of this era. i think he can beat a few WWs right now but in no way he can beat Mosley or Cotto

Comment

Originally posted by BOOMbip View Post
                    As much as I like Pac...lets be serious...Cotto or any of the top Welters will put Gloves in his ass.

He needs to fight Hatton and either stay at 140 and fight Campbell or go back down...

I don't want to see him get crushed and embarrased by a bigger man...Plus the winner of the fight would get little to no Credit for beating a Tiny guy...
                    gotta agreed with ya

Comment

Originally posted by miamijohn View Post
                      If Cotto dont KO Manny, Manny will win that fight easy. The hand speed will be way more than Cotto can deal with comfortably. Cotto fight with Paulie Malignaggi went the distance and although he busted Pauli up pretty good it went 12. Pauli ain't no Manny.
                      Pauli also doesn't get hit as much as Manny does. Pauli is more of a defensive fighter as opposed to Manny who's more offense than anything. I like Manny, but Cotto will be too much for him and his jab would keep Manny at bay. Cotto's not a sitting duck nor is he slow.

Kinda dumb comparison IMO (Pauli and Manny)

Comment

Working...
                      X