Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When the Referee says "TEN" the fight is OVER!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the replay last night the ref did not signal the fight was over at all. He did not wave off the fight, I do not know why people got in the ring. Cintron started throwing a fit when he got up so people thought he lost at that point I guess (in addition to the fact that Martinez was acting like he won), but the ref did nothing to signal the fight over, Watch it again.

If the ref did not call the fight over he made the right call and starting the fight over, would you rather the ref just let what he felt was a mistake slide because that is easier or would you rahter have him make what he thinks is the correct call (which is all a ref can do anyways).

Comment

I'm pretty sure the ref told Cintron it was over after Cintron got up, that's when Cintron started throwing his temper tantrum and what can be more definitive than counting to 10 to signify that a fight is over?

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        I'm pretty sure the ref told Cintron it was over after Cintron got up, that's when Cintron started throwing his temper tantrum and what can be more definitive than counting to 10 to signify that a fight is over?

To me the fighter deserves the benefit of the doubt in situations like this, Cintron was clearly able to continue. Cintron was off the canvas by the end of the 10 count so he should really be allowed to continue, if the ref said he did not end the fight he did not end the fight. I do not see why there is complaining, whould you rather the ref just let what he thought was a bad call stand just because thats what people thought happeaned, if the ref said he did not stop the fight, who are other people who are not at ring side to say it should have been a stoppage in the 7th.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
          To me the fighter deserves the benefit of the doubt in situations like this, Cintron was clearly able to continue. Cintron was off the canvas by the end of the 10 count so he should really be allowed to continue, if the ref said he did not end the fight he did not end the fight. I do not see why there is complaining, whould you rather the ref just let what he thought was a bad call stand just because thats what people thought happeaned, if the ref said he did not stop the fight, who are other people who are not at ring side to say it should have been a stoppage in the 7th.
          Whether he was able to continue or not is not the point. If a fighter doesn't rise up by the count of 10 then he loses plain and simple, Rafael Marquez could have continued against one of his opponents but got up after the count of 10 thus losing the fight.

No, I want the referee to follow the rules, and it wasn't a bad call from the referee to count to 10, it was a bad call from Cintron for not getting up.

And how can you not stop a fight after you had counted to 10 and told the fighter it was over? And then he went and said that he got confused because he didn't hear the bell which doesn't make sense because you can't be saved by the bell in any round, the fighter must get up before the count of 10 and prove that he is able to continue, the latter part doesn't matter because Cintron didn't get up before the count of 10.
          Last edited by Silencers; 02-15-2009, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Even though I do not like Cintron...you are right! Great post!

Comment

Whether he was able to continue or not is not the point. If a fighter doesn't rise up by the count of 10 then he loses plain and simple, Rafael Marquez could have continued against one of his opponents but got up after the count of 10 thus losing the fight.

No, I want the referee to follow the rules, and it wasn't a bad call from the referee to count to 10, it was a bad call from Cintron for not getting up.
              To me he was up at 10 to you he was not so there is doubt about whether he beat the count or not, in such situation the fighter should get the benefit of the doubt (unless they can not continue). It is up for the ref to stop the fight and he said he DID NOT, to me it is clear he did not stop the fight when I watched the replay people just reacted by the way Cintron was acting because why would he act like that unless the fight was over.

Comment

To me he was up at 10 to you he was not so there is doubt about whether he beat the count or not, in such situation the fighter should get the benefit of the doubt (unless they can not continue). It is up for the ref to stop the fight and he said he DID NOT, to me it is clear he did not stop the fight when I watched the replay people just reacted by the way Cintron was acting because why would he act like that unless the fight was over.
                It doesn't really matter what we think because the referee counted to 10 and told Cintron it was over, meaning the fight was effectively over, that's what rules are for in boxing. Once you stop a fight, you can't unstop a fight.

Comment

It doesn't really matter what we think because the referee counted to 10 and told Cintron it was over, meaning the fight was effectively over, that's what rules are for in boxing.
                  The ref said HE DID NOT STOP THE FIGHT, he said he was up before the 10 count. So what we are saying is meaningless, because the ref said he did not end the fight, so the fight did not end~.

Comment

Originally posted by Perro View Post
                    That fight was OVER. I've never seen anything like that in all the years I've been watching boxing. Martinez won that fight tonight.
                    I was freaking out when it happened. Never seen anything like that ever in boxing. They completely jobbed Martinez, which is shocking because isn't he the King fighter?

Comment

He was up before 10. Just because the referee for some reason decided to count while he was on his feet doesn't mean he should be punished

However from what I saw (the fight up 'till round 10) giving Cintron a draw is just plain wrong

Comment

Working...
                      X