Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is with the notion that USA is all that matters in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 46-0 View Post
    This a serious discussion, no bias or hating.

It has became apparent that alot of people around here have the mindframe that "If a foriegn fighter does not come to the US then he is not a good fighter", and also "A fight is only worth caring about if it is in the US", and last but not least "If a fighter isn't well known in the US then he is no good". What is with this?

I ask you, how come it is okay for a US fighter to never leave his country for a fight but then it is imperitive for everyone else to fight out of their country to gain respect? Surely, if a man is good enough to win a world title, then regardless of his nationality he has earned the right to defend the title where he wants? It makes alot more sense for a fighter to stay at home where he has recieved tonnes of exposure over the years rather than crossing the Atlantic and having to start from the bottom, right?

Also, why is it that people think fights are only worth making if the big US networks are willing to pick the fights up? There is alot of exposure all over the world, I would even argue that fighters gain more exposure and popularity in Europe than they do in the US. Surely it makes more sense for a US fighter who is already an established name in his home country to come over to Europe and gain recognition over here than it does for a European fighter to go to the USA in search of exposure? Especially if Europe is as easy to conquer and full of as much soft competition as claimed. I can not speak for other parts of the world, but I am sure they all have their own booming boxing industries.

Do people not realize that boxing is a global sport? That boxing is making big money all over, not just the USA? This "USA is the mecca of boxing" bull**** doesn't wash. I think this attitude is out-dated and based mostly on bias and nationalism.

Any thoughts?
    other countries can produce great fighters, but if they dont fight in the US no one can know for sure that they are great or not.

its dumb to ask why, this is just the way it is.

this not only applies to just protected foreign fighters, but protected US fighters as well.

its not a foreigner vs. USA thing, that some people like to make it... the simple fact is that the best in boxing come to the US to fight.

Comment

It has became apparent that alot of people around here have the mindframe that "If a foriegn fighter does not come to the US then he is not a good fighter", and also "A fight is only worth caring about if it is in the US", and last but not least "If a fighter isn't well known in the US then he is no good". What is with this?

I ask you, how come it is okay for a US fighter to never leave his country for a fight but then it is imperitive for everyone else to fight out of their country to gain respect? Surely, if a man is good enough to win a world title, then regardless of his nationality he has earned the right to defend the title where he wants? It makes alot more sense for a fighter to stay at home where he has recieved tonnes of exposure over the years rather than crossing the Atlantic and having to start from the bottom, right?

Also, why is it that people think fights are only worth making if the big US networks are willing to pick the fights up? There is alot of exposure all over the world, I would even argue that fighters gain more exposure and popularity in Europe than they do in the US. Surely it makes more sense for a US fighter who is already an established name in his home country to come over to Europe and gain recognition over here than it does for a European fighter to go to the USA in search of exposure? Especially if Europe is as easy to conquer and full of as much soft competition as claimed. I can not speak for other parts of the world, but I am sure they all have their own booming boxing industries.

Do people not realize that boxing is a global sport? That boxing is making big money all over, not just the USA? This "USA is the mecca of boxing" bull**** doesn't wash. I think this attitude is out-dated and based mostly on bias and nationalism.

Any thoughts?

Let's be realistic here just about every time an American fighter leaves the states to fight overseas the judging is bias. Look what happened in the Bute vs Andrade, Calzaghe vs Manfreddy, Darchiniyan vs Gorress and countless other fights where the fighter went over to the opponents home land and clearly won, but left without the W in the win column. In, America they get a better opportunity for justice.

Comment

Listen if were gonna keep it on this vibe i think Germany should be outright
        fuking boycotted for any boxing events

And VK and Vladdy should be made to fight in the states
        rather then germany or somewhere close by everytime they fight..
        Well nearly everytime they fight lol

Comment

America is where all the big TV exposure is. It's hard for fighters to get recognition even if they're good when people don't get to see em.

Comment

It all comes down to money,not just money for the fighter,money for everybody along the foodchain so to speak.Boxing is a real industry in america.people pay more to watch it,whether live or on ppv,so it generates a huge volume of cash.If you got offered a job in another country and you were going to earn five times the amount of money,you would probably go for it.It doesnt mean its right,and it makes a monkey out of the term,"world champion",but its a professional sport,and unfortunately money will always come before prestige when it comes to peoples livelyhoods.

Comment

Money talks. The biggest money and purses still is in the biggest markets which still happens to be America, although Germany isn't far behind. In fact a lot of american fighters just below superstarlevel has been fighting quite a bit in Germany in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Blow Armo View Post
                Its not that fighters that don't fight in the US are not worthy, its that the ones who only stay in Europe, fight garbage opponents, and claim themselves as of the best. Example, Kessler. Also, its no secret that the fighters fighting in the US are generally better than the ones fighting in Asia and clearly better the the average fighter fighting in Europe.
                In some divisions, at least right now, the Europeans are in control, like the HW division, or the SMW division. I would want someone like Kessler to fight in USA, not because there is better fighters for him, (cause in the SMW, there isn't really any Americans, other than Jermaine Taylor) but realistically speaking if you want to make a name for yourself in history, and get the $$$ you HAVE to fight in USA at least 1 or 2 big fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Kastrioti View Post
                  In some divisions, at least right now, the Europeans are in control, like the HW division, or the SMW division. I would want someone like Kessler to fight in USA, not because there is better fighters for him, (cause in the SMW, there isn't really any Americans, other than Jermaine Taylor) but realistically speaking if you want to make a name for yourself in history, and get the $$$ you HAVE to fight in USA at least 1 or 2 big fights.
                  well the HW and SMW divisions arent great

Comment

Any thoughts?
                    Because the United States is the meeting ground where the best in the world come to fight.

Joe Calzaghe came over, Hatton came over, Naseem Hamed came over, Lennox Lewis came over, etc.

No one intelligible would state "in order to be a good fighter, you have to fight in the U.S.", but the fact of the matter is, 99% of boxers grow up dreaming one day they would be headlining a HBO PPV at the MGM in Las Vegas, not same random stadium out in Europe.

It's just the way it is.

Comment

I think this attitude is out-dated and based mostly on bias and nationalism.

Any thoughts?
                      You contradict yourself. You call for no bias or (this term makes me nauseuos) 'hating'. Then you write a long-winded, pretentious rant and wrap it up by labelling the objects of your ire biased and nationalist.

This thread is nothing more than a vehicle for your own nationalist insecurities.

You should tend to your own knittin'...

Comment

Working...
                      X