Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The World Awaits

Comment

Originally posted by nathan_nall View Post
      Angelo Dundee said on ESPN Classic, during and episode of "Ringside", that we missed the BEST years of Ali during his ban from boxing. 1971 is the next best thing. You ask, how is he prime in 1971? I can't explain that to you, because I don't know. But I have faith that if anyone knows, its Angelo Dundee... and certainly not you.

LOL

It may he been the best possible Ali but he was not in his prime. His prime was 64-67 CLEARLY.

Ali 1966 beats Ali 1971 ergo Ali mk 71 was not "prime"

Comment

OK so Ali was not in his prime for the FOTC

However he was definitely out of his prime in 1975 and was not in the same shape that he was in for his second fight with Frazier and the Rumble.Frazier was damaged goods.

The good thing going for the Thrilla is that there was a nice bit of brain damage in the fight(also if you are an Ali fan there is the bonus of him winning),but neither Frazier not Ali seemed to be fighting in the explosive bursts as in their first encounter.

The third fight had great moments but there wasn't the twists and turns of the first fight.

BTW the story seems to have changed ,since the seventies,from Ali thinking of quitting in the 10th round to him asking to have his gloves cut off after the 14th

Comment

I gotta go with The Thrilla in Manilla, i get knackered WATCHING that fight!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Testdead View Post
            LOL

It may he been the best possible Ali but he was not in his prime. His prime was 64-67 CLEARLY.

Ali 1966 beats Ali 1971 ergo Ali mk 71 was not "prime"
            Dude... I'm just passing on the opinion of another... If you want to argue the case, take it up with Angelo, but you better hurry because he already has one foot in the grave... may he L.A.L.L.I.P (Live A Little Longer In Peace).

If Angleo says the best years of Ali were during the ban, than 1971 is just as far removed as your 1967 Ali, only on the downside rather than the upside. With a little devotion to the game and a few nights in front of Classic Boxing on ESPN Classic... we all can become knowledged. I'm sorry if I take the word of a man who pounded it out in the gym for more than a decade with Ali over the word of a fellow boxingscene poster.
            Last edited by nathan_nall; 01-05-2009, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cruzan mario View Post
              Every time I see Frazier land that leapng left hook,thats the best hook I have ever seen!!
              i agree mate that nearly took ali's head off. ****ing amazing punch

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkool View Post
                i agree mate that nearly took ali's head off. ****ing amazing punch
                According to Frazier, in his autobiography, surprisingly enough that wasn't the hardest punch he ever threw,but Ali was dead tired and the shot was right on the button.

Comment

If I want to see two superpowers, then the first fight.
                  If I want to see two heroes giving their all, then the Thrilla.

Manila by a mile for me, even though my guy lost.

Comment

Ali in 1967 was better then Ali in 1971 EVERYONE knows that and i garuntee you if you ask Dundee this he will tell you the same. Its so damn obvious, he had the movement and energy which he lacked when he came back from his ban.

Comment

Originally posted by horge View Post
                      If I want to see two superpowers, then the first fight.
                      If I want to see two heroes giving their all, then the Thrilla.

Manila by a mile for me, even though my guy lost.
                      Yes. I have to agree.

I'm down with Frazier, but ALI's my idol. Frazier did cause a lot of damage to ALI during their 3 fights.

The 1st and the 3rd were my all time favorites.

ALI getting knocked down in the 1st one; and Frazier's mouthpiece flying out of his mouth were monumental moments in boxing.

Damn, too bad their aren't any fights of that calibur these days.

The Gatti/Ward Trilogy is worth mentioning, but that was an all out slugfest. Not too much tactics in that fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X