Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screwing around with a healthy weight in your mid/late 30s does a number on the body?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screwing around with a healthy weight in your mid/late 30s does a number on the body?

Discuss. Seems like every fighter that does it, has an ass whoopin comin'.

It's not a good idea, it gets harder to lose those extra pounds when you get older that's why I was very, very surprised when he weighed in at 145 and then I was shocked when he was only 147 for the fight, it's not a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Haglerwins View Post
      Discuss. Seems like every fighter that does it, has an ass whoopin comin'.
      Definitely agree with this. I'm not saying it was the main reason Oscar lost last night, but it didn't help. It's not good ****ing with your weight at any time in your career, but at 35yo?, no, no.

Retire Oscar. And it might serve as a lesson to any other fighters in the future who try and drop back down to a division they haven't fought at for quite a while.

Comment

There is a reason why people as they get older move up in weight, and not down in weight.

Comment

Fighters who remain successful at relatively "lower" weight classes later on in age tend to have campaigned at largely the same weight for an entire career, and ideally maintain physical condition year round so the weight never becomes a struggle. i.e. Hagler, Hopkins, Monzon, etc. (although Monzon was just a freak, an anomaly). Dropping down in weight indeed hardly ever seems to meet with positive results. DLH tried to pull a Hopkins, coming in underweight to prove a point, and paid the price. His body looked shrunken compared to his 154 frame, especially in the legs.

Comment

Sooner or later it will catch up with Hatton, his screwing with weight.

Comment

It does appear quite the case can be made for this, with the most devastating effect befalling Roy Jones. You got Roy, Tarver, Byrd, and possibly Oscar showing considerable effects from it. Are there others?
              Last edited by Haglerwins; 12-07-2008, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Even though Hatton destroyed Paulie last month, and i'm a fan of his, i reckon he's only got 1or2 big fights left in the tank.

If he hadn't walked around between fights like Toney's younger brother, he would've been around a good while longer!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
                  Fighters who remain successful at relatively "lower" weight classes later on in age tend to have campaigned at largely the same weight for an entire career, and ideally maintain physical condition year round so the weight never becomes a struggle. i.e. Hagler, Hopkins, Monzon, etc. (although Monzon was just a freak, an anomaly). Dropping down in weight indeed hardly ever seems to meet with positive results. DLH tried to pull a Hopkins, coming in underweight to prove a point, and paid the price. His body looked shrunken compared to his 154 frame, especially in the legs.
                  Definitely, I was watching the Mayorga fight and it struck me how much smaller DLH looked and one of the first things I noticed in the fight was how thin DLH's legs were, they were smaller than the tall, lanky guys that have fought in the division.

Comment

guys do you think Manny would screw his weight if he fights back to 135??

imho he can only go to 140 and retain full power, he will be considerably weaker now at 135...

Comment

Working...
                    X