No announcement yet.

Calzaghe: "Dawson is the LHW version of Pavlik. He hasn’t proved himself!"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by markfrombrookly View Post
    Uhhh you're forgetting to mention that Pavlik moved UP 10lbs to face Hopkins. It's not like he fought at his natural weight. And you act like Calzaghe dominated Hopkins or something, I dont even think he won, it was a split decision win so what does that say about Calzaghe?
    Well, Calzaghe also moved up in weight to fight Bernard. So your point is very much of the "mute" variety.

Pavlik was destroyed, Calzaghe just about won. Bernard is a GREAT fighter. Joe is GREATER. Just.

Comment

Originally posted by Allucard View Post
      Zaghe is such a fake, i can't believe it white people want yet another Marciano, this time a bigger prick. He fought his best fighters when they were SHOT and ancient! Then he has the nerve to say Dawson has beaten an old man?! **** him! Now he wants to give Bernard another go because he knows Bernard can't fight for 12 at 43 years of age. Dawson can and just seeing both of them Dawson looks already so much better one can predict what would happen. And yes i predicted pretty much right every fight just based on previous performances, including the latest.

WOW! I truly hope for your sake, and your mental health that this fight happens. You must adore Kellerman, right?

However, if this does happen, I fear you will be calling Chad the next "Lacy" and crying out for Joe to fight again.
      Last edited by billybilo; 11-10-2008, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
        How can you ruin someone when you don't have power or the skill set of that fighter? What does Joe do better than Dawson? He doesn't have the power to hurt him, he is not as fast or as naturally big. We are talking about a 6'3 southpaw BOXER that can punch, and Calzaghe has not fought any ranked southpaws in his whole career. It would be a whole new environment, especially when you look at the southpaw hes facing for the first time and his biggest opponent to date.
        Like I said, I like Chad, hes a good guy and a terrific fighter for the future but at this stage, Calzaghe could do a Lacy/Kessler type job on him where he'd never be the same again.

You dont always need to have one punch power when you can hit a guy over 200 times and give them a 12 round beating.

Chad is nowhere near being a big puncher and cant hurt Calzaghe either.

Calzaghe has never faced a ranked southpaw? Dawson has never faced a Calzaghe. Which do you think is more significant? It would be a whole new world for Dawson and one which he could find overwhelming

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
          Like I said, I like Chad, hes a good guy and a terrific fighter for the future but at this stage, Calzaghe could do a Lacy/Kessler type job on him where he'd never be the same again.

You dont always need to have one punch power when you can hit a guy over 200 times and give them a 12 round beating.

Chad is nowhere near being a big puncher and cant hurt Calzaghe either.

Calzaghe has never faced a ranked southpaw? Dawson has never faced a Calzaghe. Which do you think is more significant? It would be a whole new world for Dawson and one which he could find overwhelming
          That's the thing, Calzaghe is not skilled enough to out box a much larger and taller Dawson over the course of the fight, and he himself admitted that performs better when his opponent comes forward. Dawson has great movement, a fast effective jab, a complete diverse arsenal of weapons and would clearly have the advantage on the outside. Dawson is the better boxer and you have to have power to get his attention.

I also like the way you don't acknowledge Dawson's power. I welcome you to look at my signature, he can punch. No hes not a one punch knockout artist, he is a systematic kind of fighter that could hurt you with one punch. Check out the 11th round in the Adamek fight. Adamek was caught when he was squared up ( like Calzaghe often does when he throws) and was staggered back with a counter right hook.

About the southpaw thing. Dawson has faced about 6 southpaws with 3 of them being world class opponents. See Dawson vs Gardner, Dawson vs Harding or Dawson vs Tarver. He actually performs better against them than he does orthodox fighters. Chad hasn't fought Calzaghe yet, but Calzaghe has never fought a Dawson as well. Dawson has shown us that the southpaw stance would not be a factor in this fight, has Joe shown that yet? Not only has he not fought a southpaw, he hasn't faced anyone that big and with that kind of a skillets.

Comment

Originally posted by slicksouthpaw16 View Post
            That's the thing, Calzaghe is not skilled enough to out box a much larger and taller Dawson over the course of the fight, and he himself admitted that performs better when his opponent comes forward. Dawson has great movement, a fast effective jab, a complete diverse arsenal of weapons and would clearly have the advantage on the outside. Dawson is the better boxer and you have to have power to get his attention.

I also like the way you don't acknowledge Dawson's power. I welcome you to look at my signature, he can punch. No hes not a one punch knockout artist, he is a systematic kind of fighter that could hurt you with one punch. Check out the 11th round in the Adamek fight. Adamek was caught when he was squared up ( like Calzaghe often does when he throws) and was staggered back with a counter right hook.

About the southpaw thing. Dawson has faced about 6 southpaws with 3 of them being world class opponents. See Dawson vs Gardner, Dawson vs Harding or Dawson vs Tarver. He actually performs better against them than he does orthodox fighters. Chad hasn't fought Calzaghe yet, but Calzaghe has never fought a Dawson as well. Dawson has shown us that the southpaw stance would not be a factor in this fight, has Joe shown that yet? Not only has he not fought a southpaw, he hasn't faced anyone that big and with that kind of a skillets.
            Dawson is more skilled and a better boxer than Calzaghe? Oh dear.

Acknowleding Dawsons power and taking into account Calzaghe's chin = Dawson doesnt hurt Calzaghe.

World class opponents? Oh dear.

If you think fighting any of those guys prepares you for Calzaghe..........well......oh dear.

Comment

Originally posted by darkstar777 View Post
              http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...er-planet.html

‘They’re talking about Chad Dawson, but at the end of the day he’s a light-heavyweight who’s won a couple of fights and has just beaten Antonio Tarver, who’s an old man. It doesn’t get me excited. What’s the point?

‘If Kelly Pavlik had beaten Bernard Hopkins, people would have said you’ve got to go and fight Pavlik, but with Hopkins winning that one there’s no one left for me to face. Chad Dawson is a light-heayweight version of Pavlik. He hasn’t proved himself.

Looks like a possibility of a Dawson-Calzaghe match isn't happening soon or at all.
              LOL

at least Maywether was open about it: "no money no fight".

Fighting this version of Jones and then complainig about Dawson can be done only for money.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                Dawson is more skilled and a better boxer than Calzaghe? Oh dear.

Acknowleding Dawsons power and taking into account Calzaghe's chin = Dawson doesnt hurt Calzaghe.

World class opponents? Oh dear.

If you think fighting any of those guys prepares you for Calzaghe..........well......oh dear.
                Boxing is not really Calzaghe's game especially against other boxers, and since you're a fan of him i am shocked that you didn't know that. Dawson has a longer reach, is more skilled, better offensively and is a better outside boxer. Joe's game is mainly to force his speed and volume punching on his opponents, but he does have skill however in this match up, its a mute point because i don't see him beating Dawson from a tactical standpoint. He would be better suited at doing what he does best, which is to outwork Dawson and force him to fight his fight.

Also, Tarver, Harding and Gardner are great southpaws, weather they are in Calzaghe's league or not it still shows you that Dawson performs well against southpaws and the stance doesn't bother him at all. Tell me a fighter where i can say the same for Calzaghe? What southpaw has he fought and what big elusive boxer did he fight who is as skilled? I think we both know the answer to that one. I see Dawson offsetting Joe's work rate by using his jab and moment, throwing straight punches and counter effectively, the same way he did against Tarver and Harding who are both naturally bigger than Calzaghe. Oh and speaking of chin, Joe has been down in two of his last fights. I wonder if he would have the chin for Dawson's counter right uppercut( which he loves to throw against southpaws and Kessler landed the uppercut every time he threw it) or counter right hook? I don't think we know the answer to that question. What you are overlooking is the fact that Dawson is a BIG light heavyweight, and with no power Joe will have a hard time at forcing Dawson to fight his fight.

Comment

Dawson has beaten Johnson and Adamek, Johnson is one of the best light heavies in the world right now and Adamek was ranked pretty highly back then at 175 as well. Johnson is also the guy that Calzaghe didn't fight.

And there's no one else for Dawson to prove himself against really apart from Hopkins and Calzaghe.

Comment

My question to all of you is, has Dawson ever won a fight that he wasn't the favourite to win? He was the heavy favourite against Glen Johnson and nearly got his arse handed to him so no I don't think he's proven yet. Most people understand this except calzaghe haters who just want to see him continue on against younger fighters in the hope that he'll lose.

Even if Joe fought Dawson and won as most people would expect him too, you guys still wouldn't be happy. You'd then start saying **** like 'Calzaghe can't retire, he still ain't proved ****, Dawson was nothing, all he ever did was beat an old Tarver. Calzaghe ain't **** until he's beaten the beast that is Tavoris Cloud. Calzaghe's ducking Cloud, that is his legacy.'

Sometimes I wonder if you dumb ****s even realise how biased you are.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he was the underdog against Adamek.

Comment

Working...
                      X