Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im interested in IceMan John Scullys prediction of Jones/Calzaghe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not biased... I wouldn't do that...I tell what I believe to be TRUE... bias in my eyes is when you don't tell the truth because of favortism for someone...but RJ was a monster, man...ask ANYONE who boxed him in his prime...have them compare him to other people they boxed and you will see...I believe when RJ was at 168 in his prime he beats Joe...

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
    I respect Iceman a lot, I love his insight, but we can't ask him questions like that because he will always give you a biased answer just based on his personal connection with Roy. Besides, he's never sparred with Joe, so he really sees only one side of the coin.
    Last edited by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY; 11-09-2008, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
      People picked Cotto over Calzaghe? Everyone makes mistakes, fighters and trainers are no exceptions.
      what I am saying is that fighters and trainers look like the bigger fanboys when they pick fights and Teddy is the worst ever. His record in on par with Buddy's losing record as a towel man.

Comment

what I am saying is that fighters and trainers look like the bigger fanboys when they pick fights and Teddy is the worst ever. His record in on par with Buddy's losing record as a towel man.
        There were reasons for them picking one fighter over another, doesn't mean they're fanboys, most of them have legit reasons as to why they picked that certain fighter. Atlas loves to pick the underdog so he's wrong most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
          I am not biased... I wouldn't do that...I tell what I believe to be TRUE... bias in my eyes is when you don't tell the truth because of favortisim for someone...but RJ was a monster, man...ask ANYONE who boxed him in his prime...have them compare him to other people they boxed and you will see...I believe when RJ was at 168 in his prime he beats Joe...
          I am not saying that Roy wouldn't beat him, but I am not saying that Roy would beat him either. I hate mythical match-ups because we would never know. We try to escape reality by creating those imaginary fights. I think Roy struggles with Zaghe regardless whether he's in his prime or not, whether he wins or not that's different. And I started boxing after watching Jones exhibiting in my eyes his best boxing performance against Toney in 1994.
          But Ice, how can you not be biased when you've sparred with Roy and other 1000 guys and then you can see the difference, but you haven't spar with Zaghe.

Comment

I picked Jones by decision over Toney, Pavlick over Taylor 1, Margarito over Cotto......... and Duran over Moore in 83'...that's it LOL

Comment

How can I not be bias?? Because I havent boxed with a lot of guys but I can still watch them and pay attention to their records etc etc etc to see what I need to see...I never sparred Holyfield or Ali but I can honestly I dont think Evander TOUCHES him with a handful of rice...I can only go by what I see

Comment

Ice,

this wasn't meant as a diss to you in terms of you picking Roy. It's just that when you look at fighters and trainers' picks, it's funny a lot of times at least in general they don't seem to use reason but rather personal preferences in terms of a fighter's style and record. So many fighters picked Roy to win and trainers too, it was just insane and then those same people say that they should be the only ones who should be calling fights on TV cause they've been there, done that and know what they're talking about. Winky Wright especially!

Comment

How can I not be bias?? Because I havent boxed with a lot of guys but I can still watch them and pay attention to their records etc etc etc to see what I need to see...I never sparred Holyfield or Ali but I can honestly I dont think Evander TOUCHES him with a handful of rice...I can only go by what I see
                  I didn't say biased in general just with regards to Roy and I read your story about him and I feel like you really love the guy off. That was one of the best reads I've ever read anyway that colum or article summarizing Jones's career.

Comment

I didn't say biased in general just with regards to Roy and I read your story about him and I feel like you really love the guy off. That was one of the best reads I've ever read anyway that colum or article summarizing Jones's career.
                    Actually I cannot say I actually definitely picked RJ to win this fight...when I made my predicition I fel tlike I was saying what I thought could happen, that I wouldnt be surprised if RJ did better than expected, etc..I warned everyone not to bet any money based on what I said , though LOL because I also knew that my track record for picking fights isnt great and...I knew that there was a real chance that RJ's legs were not what they used to be and that Joe's relentless pressure might drain him...

Comment

I am not biased... I wouldn't do that...I tell what I believe to be TRUE... bias in my eyes is when you don't tell the truth because of favortism for someone...but RJ was a monster, man...ask ANYONE who boxed him in his prime...have them compare him to other people they boxed and you will see...I believe when RJ was at 168 in his prime he beats Joe...
                      There's no arguing what type of a speed demon or as you call it "a monster" Jones Jr was in his prime.

That's not the debate here. Roy last night w/o his superhuman athletic ability looked friggin' lost, he had no other "back up" when speed has been taken away from him.

Look at Juan Manuel Marquez, he's old at 35, but he's still whippin' ass because of his boxing acumen. Juan is a good example of a well-schooled, crafty veteran fighters, same thing with James Toney. But Jones Jr. gets no credit other than he was the most talented fighter I've ever seen lace up the gloves.

Guys like Hagler, Holyfield, Toney are craftsmen. Jones is all talent and when talent went away, he had no heart to rely on.
                      Last edited by We want Floyd; 11-09-2008, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X