No announcement yet.

What Makes Joe Calzaghe's Resume Great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abadger View Post
    Yes, but no excuses for actually losing, which is somewhat more important.
    You don't remember the constant " Joe lost to Reid" stuff that went on for a long time?

And as for your "I just wasn't my best" Joe himself has used that one to describe poor performances.

But you're right, he's never had to say anything about a loss since he hasn't had one. I guess that one is obvious though.

Comment

I thought Kessler made his resume great after he cleans up the LHW division

Comment

Originally posted by abadger View Post
        Here are some excuses Calzaghe did not require:

v Eubank: "It was a huge step up against an experienced fighter, maybe I was moved along to fast"

v Reid: "He had a bad style for me and I was injured anyway."

v Mitchell: "He caught me with a perfect shot, what can I say? It would have stopped any fighter."

v Lacy or Kessler: "I'm getting old now, a bit too old to live with these hungry young lions."

v Hopkins: "It was my first fight in America and my first at a new weight. I didn't carry it as well as I thought and the ocassion got to me."

v Anyone: "Its well known I have problems making weight and have fragile hands, it caught up with me tonight, I wasn't properly prepared."

v Anyone: "I just had an off night".
        Yeh it's funny that, you'd think just one would have occurred in a long professional career of 15 years. Not once though, no major off nights or losses, none to avenge. He must be very very lucky. Or, could he just be very good.

No that's ridiculous, he's lucky.

Comment

I've never seen one but I'd like to kill a badger.

Comment

Originally posted by Rizi Riz View Post
            I would be 1,000-0 fighting bums.
            How about fighting world champions?

Comment

Originally posted by bsrizpac View Post
              You don't remember the constant " Joe lost to Reid" stuff that went on for a long time?

And as for your "I just wasn't my best" Joe himself has used that one to describe poor performances.

But you're right, he's never had to say anything about a loss since he hasn't had one. I guess that one is obvious though.
              So in answer to my point about Calzaghe never having fallen victim to the kind of 'slip up' that routinely afflicts nearly all other great fighters, your response is that he once had a close fight to Reid (but still won) and sometimes had off-colour performances (but still won).

I think this somewhat underlines my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                I can relate to Calzaghe on never fighting world champions. Euro champs arent world champs, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
                  Buster was Ring Champion of the HW division
                  Baldomir was Ring Champion of the WW DIVISION

Anyone can get titles these days

Comment

Good point.

I agree that Calz hasnt faced the highest level of opposistion, but at least he hasnt lost to them.

Jones has a good resume but he also lost to Tarver, and Johnson by KO losses. That has got to take a little bit of sparkle from his greatness, considering I believe that Calzaghe would beat the versions of Tarver and Johnson, Jones fought.

Look at Wlad. The best HW there is, but he has lost to some awfully weak opposistion.

Your resume isnt everything if you dont have the record to back it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rizi Riz View Post
                      Ok Joe....... settle down.

This sounds like one of your infamous interviews, just one thing! You forgot to say at the end of the day.
                      At the end of the day.....

Comment

Working...
                      X