No announcement yet.

HBO's call of Marquez-Barrera is the worst I've heard bar none

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO's call of Marquez-Barrera is the worst I've heard bar none

Back when I watched this fight for the first time around a year ago, I thought it was pretty close and a Marquez win. Boy was I dead wrong....IT WAS A CLEAR MARQUEZ WIN.

My card:

The official scores were 116-111x2 and 118-109. So my card was pretty much dead in the middle of those. Still, HBO's call is THE WORST I've ever heard. If I was blind and watching the fight, I would have believed Barrera had won 116-109. The only rounds I think Marquez won according to them were rounds 7 and 10, but of course round 7 was such a "travesty" because of the knockdown not called.

The knockdown still would have been a 10-9 round for Barrera since Marquez had a probably 10-8 round before the knockdown anyway. That and I think Nady made the right call indirectly. It was an obvious knockdown, but I think when someone hits someone when they are down, that knockdown shouldn't be counted insted of a DQ. It's not like the knockdown would have helped Barrera anyway. Marquez was fine in round 8 and he had kicked Barrera's ass in round 7.

Jim Lampley sounded like a 3 year old kid about to cry who didn't get his way when the knockdown wasn't called and went on some bull**** rant about how if Las Vegas had instant replay, it'd be overturned. Like it ****ing mattered.

Harold Ledderman's card was even worse. 114-113 Barrera. I thought him having Jirov ahead of Toney until the 12th and having Paul Williams beating Quintana was bad. This is BY FAR his worse card. I'm literally disgusted people scoring this fight for Barrera. It was competitve especially for the first 6 rounds. Then Marquez beat him clearly and even punished him at times.

"Oh Barrera is showing such good defense by rolling his head so it lessons the blow" Guess what Steward? He's still getting hit and then Barrera gets hit again. The only good thing about Barrera was his jab. It was constient and hit Marquez a lot, but Marquez still landed a lot more then Barrera did. I found it incredibly cool that round 9 compubox's stats were pretty much the same, even if Marquez was landing many blows in reality.

Still, if you thought Cotto-Margarito's or De La Hoya-anyone was bad. Barrera-Marquez's call was the worse I've seen. Atleast Merchant had some sense to score it for Marquez, but his card was still awful. 114-113 Marquez. Marquez won clearer then that.
    Last edited by warp1432; 09-16-2008, 08:17 PM.

Sometimes HBO's slant on boxing matches isn't much better than the Fox Noise Channel's view of politics.

Comment

I partially agree. I thought Marquez clearly won from cleaner harder punches. Barrera was beating Marquez to the punch, and he was boxing well for most of the fight keeping the rounds competitive, but Marquez was throwing some beautiful combinations. I do believe the knockdown should have been counted, and I blame nady for not only being so far away and not calling it, but for taking entirely too long to break the fighters up after the knockdown and letting Marquez get hit. That was a beautiful knockdown, and truly showed the skill of a hurting MAB even when being so thoroughly dominated throughout that round. I too, would make that a 10-9 round. All in all, HBO was dead wrong, and it's not the only time they've been so off in a tactical fight.

Comment

Marquez deserved it.

The one thing I would disagree with is that you think that the scoring of round 7 wouldn't have mattered. I disagree. If the knockdown is called and it goes down as a 10-8 round for Barrera, then that puts Barrera 2 points up on your scorecard.

I'm not saying that it should be a 10-8 round for Barrera. The foul was stupid and blatant and deserved a point deduction, but if called correctly, some would have scored that round 9-8. The fact is that no matter what has happened the rest of the round, if you score a KD, some judges will give you the round 10-8. I'm not saying that they should, but some will.

My point is that if the 7th round is handled differently, perhaps Barrera would've fought the rest of the fight in a different way. Again, probably not, but I just consider it to be of importance, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
          Marquez deserved it.

The one thing I would disagree with is that you think that the scoring of round 7 wouldn't have mattered. I disagree. If the knockdown is called and it goes down as a 10-8 round for Barrera, then that puts Barrera 2 points up on your scorecard.

I'm not saying that it should be a 10-8 round for Barrera. The foul was stupid and blatant and deserved a point deduction, but if called correctly, some would have scored that round 9-8. The fact is that no matter what has happened the rest of the round, if you score a KD, some judges will give you the round 10-8. I'm not saying that they should, but some will.

My point is that if the 7th round is handled differently, perhaps Barrera would've fought the rest of the fight in a different way. Again, probably not, but I just consider it to be of importance, that's all.
          That's a good point, maybe MAB's mind game wasn't as strong as it was in his youth, especially knowing the fight would go the distance.. more importantly, let's bet! I'll bet any amount of points that Pav can't KO/TKO X.

Comment

Marquez won fair and square....

Comment

Originally posted by Spiegelo View Post
              That's a good point, maybe MAB's mind game wasn't as strong as it was in his youth, especially knowing the fight would go the distance.. more importantly, let's bet! I'll bet any amount of points that Pav can't KO/TKO X.
              Lol didn't we already discuss this once today? http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=204454

Comment

Either guy could edged this one. JMM didn't do as well as the judges scored.

Comment

if the KD was called correctly MAB couldve boxed better in the last few rounds IMO. that ****ed him up.

Comment

Like he boxed better against Pacquiao the 2nd time after he fouled him? No he didn't. Granted he didn't knock Pacquiao down, but he was still clearly frustrated like he was with Marquez and fouled him. He wouldn't do ****.

Comment

Working...
                    X