From ******************:
He’s a solid boxer-puncher type. He had a solid amateur career. He got his high ranking as a super middleweight contender the old-fashioned way, he earned it. And Dimitri Sartison said he believes he can do something that superstar Joe Calzaghe could not.
And that is knock out Mikkel Kessler, the former WBA and WBC champion whose only loss in 40 bouts was a decision to Calzaghe.
Sartison, age 28, is not a bragging, boastful character. But he is unflinching in his self confidence and said he will bring all his tools when he fights Kessler June 21 in Copenhagen for the vacant WBA super middleweight title.
“I do not need to blow my own horn,” Sartison said. “My team knows me and they know my abilities. Now I have a chance to show the whole world what I can do. I have big respect for Kessler but I am not in awe of him.”
Sartison, who fights under the Universum promotional banner, was born in Kazakhstan but grew up in Germany and competed wearing that country’s colors. He was a silver medal in the Junior World Championships and was German national amateur champion in 2002 as a middleweight.
“I think I truly can stop Kessler. He seems to be looking past me and talking about a Calzaghe rematch, about Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins. It’s dangerous when your focus is not immediate and not directed at the next man you will fight,” Sartison said.
No one can say that Sartison got his high WBA ranking on a free pass or because of any favoritism. To jump from Number 9, Sartison had to fight his stablemate, Gusmyl Perdomo when Perdomo was ranked much higher and had a 14-1 record.
And some fight it was. Sartison was bleeding in the first round after what was ruled an accidental head butt.
It looked like Perdomo would stop Sartison, pouring it on near the end of round seven. But Sartison weathered the storm.
There was a furious 10th round with both boxers letting it all go. The judges had Sartison nipping a unanimous decision on a 97-95 score and two 96-95 votes.
Sartison further polished his contender credentials by following up with an eight round stoppage of rugged Pablo Daniel Zamora. Zamora was in his third bout after going the 12-round limit with WBA super middleweight champion Anthony Mundine in Australia.
His ring resume is solid and Sartison said he’s ready for Kessler.
“Nothing has been handed to me,” Sartison said. “I will be at my best and, if Kessler is not, it will be a sad night for he and for all the people of Denmark.”
With his hometown of Hamburg not so far away, Sartison will bring his own cheering section to Copenhagen.
“You can be sure of one thing; I’ll give my friends and fans something to cheer about.”
He’s a solid boxer-puncher type. He had a solid amateur career. He got his high ranking as a super middleweight contender the old-fashioned way, he earned it. And Dimitri Sartison said he believes he can do something that superstar Joe Calzaghe could not.
And that is knock out Mikkel Kessler, the former WBA and WBC champion whose only loss in 40 bouts was a decision to Calzaghe.
Sartison, age 28, is not a bragging, boastful character. But he is unflinching in his self confidence and said he will bring all his tools when he fights Kessler June 21 in Copenhagen for the vacant WBA super middleweight title.
“I do not need to blow my own horn,” Sartison said. “My team knows me and they know my abilities. Now I have a chance to show the whole world what I can do. I have big respect for Kessler but I am not in awe of him.”
Sartison, who fights under the Universum promotional banner, was born in Kazakhstan but grew up in Germany and competed wearing that country’s colors. He was a silver medal in the Junior World Championships and was German national amateur champion in 2002 as a middleweight.
“I think I truly can stop Kessler. He seems to be looking past me and talking about a Calzaghe rematch, about Roy Jones and Bernard Hopkins. It’s dangerous when your focus is not immediate and not directed at the next man you will fight,” Sartison said.
No one can say that Sartison got his high WBA ranking on a free pass or because of any favoritism. To jump from Number 9, Sartison had to fight his stablemate, Gusmyl Perdomo when Perdomo was ranked much higher and had a 14-1 record.
And some fight it was. Sartison was bleeding in the first round after what was ruled an accidental head butt.
It looked like Perdomo would stop Sartison, pouring it on near the end of round seven. But Sartison weathered the storm.
There was a furious 10th round with both boxers letting it all go. The judges had Sartison nipping a unanimous decision on a 97-95 score and two 96-95 votes.
Sartison further polished his contender credentials by following up with an eight round stoppage of rugged Pablo Daniel Zamora. Zamora was in his third bout after going the 12-round limit with WBA super middleweight champion Anthony Mundine in Australia.
His ring resume is solid and Sartison said he’s ready for Kessler.
“Nothing has been handed to me,” Sartison said. “I will be at my best and, if Kessler is not, it will be a sad night for he and for all the people of Denmark.”
With his hometown of Hamburg not so far away, Sartison will bring his own cheering section to Copenhagen.
“You can be sure of one thing; I’ll give my friends and fans something to cheer about.”
Comment