• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
    Post on this thread Fair Pole...
    Maskaev-Peter Saga Continues!

Thursday, July 12 2007

By Matt Richardson

And the controversy continues. Just when it appeared that WBC Heavyweight champion Oleg Maskaev would finally be defending his title against number-one ranked Samuel Peter, the negotiations for the proposed October 6th NYC showdown hit yet another snag. According to a statement issued by the WBC on Wednesday, since "Maskaev of Russia, has refused, through his representative, to sign the contract to fight mandatory challenger Samuel Peter of Nigeria, the President of the African Boxing Union, Houcine Houichi, has sent a recommendation for the WBC to not only continue in court on the case presented by the champion’s representative, but to also unfreeze the heavyweight championship by immediately ordering an interim heavyweight world championship between Samuel Peter and the highest rated available contender in the WBC ratings, according to the WBC rules."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The always loquacious Dennis Rappaport (Maskaev's promoter) however begs to differ with the organizations interpretation of events. According to Rappaport, Don King Promotions should never have been allowed to promote the proposed fight to begin with. King was granted the opportunity to promote the fight when Duva Boxing defaulted on their winning May 7th purse bid. King and Duva both owns a share of the promotional rights to Peter, thus eliminating King's eligibility to take place in the purse bid to begin with. According to Rappaport, WBC President Jose Sulaiman assured him that due to the commonality of both promoters' interest in Peter, the lower bid would be dropped. But King's purse bid never was and his opportunity to promote the fight was allowed, leaving the third highest bidder (Rappaport) out of the loop. King was then allegedly supposed to have sent the fight contract to Rappaport on July 5th but the deadline came and went and Rappaport received nothing. By the time Rappaport received a contract earlier this week the deadline had passed meaning King had defaulted and that Rappaport should then be allowed to promote the fight.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The WBC has yet to confirm or deny this though, according to Rappaport. Until the promotional matter is sorted out the champion will not sign a contract. "I will not allow them to abuse Oleg Maskaev," Rappaport told *********. "They're not dealing with the weak and meek. I'm not going to let him (Maskaev) be used and abused and disrespected by the WBC." Rappaport meanwhile, also has an amended (as of July 2nd) lawsuit pending against the organization regarding a variety of topics not the least of which is the fact that Maskaev will not be receiving the traditional 70 percent afforded the champion in defense of the title. Instead Maskaev will take just 55 percent of the share while Peter will take 45.

Comment

• Now you're talking!...

Comment

• Oleg better duck my boy, he crazy.

Originally posted by FeedMeHoney View Post
        Is this Maskaev's way of preventing a 6th KO loss? If he refuses to fight him, he can't get KTFO.
        That was a highlight reel knockout waiting to happen.

Never pay again for live ***! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

• Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
          This post clearly illustartes that BOXING IS DYING in America,, And only because they no Longer dominate the sport.. and are so ****ing insecure as a nation.. That they cant handle not being Number 1 at everything..
          Originally posted by Welter_Skelter View Post
          WOW proffessor Enstein... I Guess My ****ing SIG banner Played no part in you figuring THAT ONE out EH?

What does me being Canadian have to do with Americans being crybabies.. and Thinking Civilsiation stops at THEIR borders..?????

America gets the PPVs because people are too ****ing FAT to get off there asses and do something that doesnt involve sitting on their couches EATING 4 buckets of KFC and watching the BOOB TUBE..

The REAL money is in the LIVE gate.. and the USA suck didly ucks In THAT respect..

While in The UK you can get crowds of 30000 people and depending on the fight could potenialy get 60000... In Russia between 2 Russians.. They will get 30k-40k tickets sold..

It dosn't even compare..
          So go eat another Dunut you fat Pig..

Welter, can I call you ‘Wellie,’ I think you’re one of the better poster’s here but this ‘anti-American rhetoric’ and this “Fat Yank” stereotype is out of character for you and alittle out of line IMO. And the line about ‘American’s being lazy and not getting out to the gate(I’m paraphrasing)’ is just inaccurate. Truth is: boxing as you know, is not as popular as it once was here, but other sports like baseball, football, nascar, etc. are very popular and fans flock to these sporting events and frequently pack huge sports arenas.

And you want to know why boxing is so big in countries like Germany and Russia? NO… well I’m gonna tell ya anyway. My theory is that boxing is in its ‘infancy’ and is a novelty; not surprisingly people are curious and flock to these big boxing events.

Peace out….

Comment

Working...
          X