Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evans, Campbell and Joshua. The long, long wait

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember being impressed Fred Evans at the Olympics as he his a little more flashy the other.

I thought they used bigger gloves in the WSB? Not looking positive if he was knocked out cold. Of course that can happen to anyone but he has a bit of previous.

I honestly can't remember Campbell fighting. I think I watched the final with Jonjo Nevin just can't remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
      Stop the waiting.

None of them are anything special.

I was high on Evans at one point, prior to the Olympics he had a lot of buzz but I haven't been really impressed with him. Think he got knocked out cold recently too? He's still young and I haven't seen that much of him but from what I have seen, he looks ok.

Campbell would do well to stay as an amateur as he does not looked suited to the pro ranks.

forward it to 6:39

Joshua, all hype and not much substance. A gold medal which he doesn't really deserve and his inexperience is driving force behind all the hype he's getting. I do think he's a good talent but is heading down the wrong path of bulking up too much. He's done the right thing staying amateur, needs a couple more years than should turn over.

I see Joshua having some success and possibly Evans too, Campbell is the last person I want to see turnover. If you want to look for our star amateur, look no further than Andrew Selby.
      this is where he got knocked out. he beat the guy in the 1st round of the olymmpiocs. The Lithuanian guuy is now a pro training under Robert Garcia

Last edited by DosRounds; 04-04-2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I think one or two guys are being a wee bit too hard on Campbell...

.....he's had a massively successful amateur career and is still young and more than talented enough to make the switch to the paid ranks and develop a very exciting and effective professional fighting style.

Can see him starting at super-bantam and then moving up to featherweight.

A great deal will depend on who Luke decides to train with. I'd like him to get out of Humberside comfort-zone and go on the road and really dedicate himself to the pro-fight business by working with Jimmy/Mark Tibbs or even someone like Billy Nelson who has done so much to make Ricky Burns such a top-class act.

Over to you Luke....

Comment

Originally posted by DosRounds View Post
          this is where he got knocked out. he beat the guy in the 1st round of the olymmpiocs. The Lithuanian guuy is now a pro training under Robert Garcia

Wow i hadnt seen that before! He fully did the David Price turtle on its back routine!

This is the stoppage i was thinking of in the WSB...

Long way to go for Mr.Evans!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            Wow i hadnt seen that before! He fully did the David Price turtle on its back routine!

This is the stoppage i was thinking of in the WSB...

Long way to go for Mr.Evans!
            I was in York Hall when he got stopped. I was surprised since I did not know who the guy was at all and Fred Evans got the medal. That day he just seemed lethargic and weaker than the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by DosRounds View Post
              I was in York Hall when he got stopped. I was surprised since I did not know who the guy was at all and Fred Evans got the medal. That day he just seemed lethargic and weaker than the guy.
              To be fair to the guy this was at middleweight and I think he normally fights at welterweight which i didnt realise. They do weird weights in WSB which i dont completely understand. I think you can definitely see the weight having an effect.

Comment

To be fair to the guy this was at middleweight and I think he normally fights at welterweight which i didnt realise. They do weird weights in WSB which i dont completely understand. I think you can definitely see the weight having an effect.
                WSB only has 5 weighclasses so alot of fighters face the same thing but him and Mytrofanov both weighed in the same. Evans looks just as solid and is a few inches taller. He has a bit of an amateur point oriented stye and any decent pressure fighter is going to give him problems and Mytrofanov is more than decent, he's rather beastly.

Why isnt Joshua's chin great?

He got put down by Dillian Whyte, but that was after only a handful of fights and Dillian Whyte is quite good.

Agree on Adam Booth, not sure he would suit Joshua as a trainer just due to the style Booth has his guys fighting. He could stick with Mccracken to be fair, theyve worked together for the Olympics already and he's a good domestic trainer imo
                From what i'v seen Nistor stopped him, Medzhidov seemed to buckle his legs almost any time he landed clean (literally at least 10 times in their fight) and Cammarelle had him hurt pretty bad. He definitely seems chinny.
                Last edited by Mikhnienko; 04-04-2013, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
                  WSB only has 5 weighclasses so alot of fighters face the same thing but him and Mytrofanov both weighed in the same. Evans looks just as solid and is a few inches taller. He has a bit of an amateur point oriented stye and any decent pressure fighter is going to give him problems and Mytrofanov is more than decent, he's rather beastly.

From what i'v seen Nistor stopped him, Medzhidov seemed to buckle his legs almost any time he landed clean (literally at least 10 times in their fight) and Cammarelle had him hurt pretty bad. He definitely seems chinny.
                  I don't think Cammaralle had him "hurt pretty bad" at all.

He landed some big power shots but Joshua took them alright, and Joshua hit Cammarale with shots that hurt him at least as bad, and he's not chinny. Those same shots destroyed David Price who IS chinny.

Medzhidov did rock him a couple of times (not 10 lol) but it was a toe to toe war and the inexperienced Joshua let himself get dragged into it.

I don't think you can say he's got weak whiskers, I think they are at least ok, his defence has been utter **** though and he gives away his height and gets into brawls, but that's his inexperience of a young kid against men like Medzhidov and Cammarale who are a lot older and for some reason still hiding in the amateurs

I'll tell you one thing right now for free, Joshua will be a MUCH better pro than David Price.
                  Last edited by Earl-Hickey; 04-05-2013, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                    Joshua, all hype and not much substance.
                    I don't know about all that to be honest.

You go on to say people overrate him due to his inexperience but the fact of the matter is that IS a factor.

He has some VERY impressive LEGIT wins to his name for being a novice, X2 over Cammarale (who bum ****d and brutally demolished David Price with effortless ease), once easily in the Worlds and once hard-way but deserved in the Olympics, he's beaten some other very solid amateurs too.

David Price was the epitimous hype-job, Bullied, destroyed and bashed up by every decent amateur he ever fought, pushing 30, lacking all the intangibles, Fury and Joshua are the best hopes for British Heavyweight boxing, yes they are young, yes they need development but they have the things you cannot teach.

David Price had the things you can teach, but none of the things you can't, when they get to his age and are as well schooled and seasoned as he is, they will be vastly better fighters.

* I would pick BOTH of them to beat him now, Joshua could do it with 0 pro fights.

Comment

@Earl Hickey.....

Agreed, Joshua has an Olympic gold medal around his neck and is considerably younger than either Harrison or Price who appear to have left it far too late to make that crucial transition from amateur to pro.

But I want to see Joshua and Campbell make a move right now - get themselves a top trainer and make the commitment to becoming a professional - before it is too late and they are too old to learn the trade.

Hence the reason for the original question.

Luke and Josh need to get cracking...let's hope they do.

Comment

Working...
                      X