No announcement yet.

My thoughts on David Price

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
    I'm just saying Mize I got the distinct impression you were a price mark, even though you. Seemed to cover yourself just in case things went south.
    http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=27

Ya'll must've forgot.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
      got to show his survival instincts or his fighting will because it was waved off
      we're not talking about Amir Khan getting off the canvas after taking big, solid left hooks from Breidis Prescott, we're talking about David Price crumbling from one cuffing right hand and not being able to pull himself together enough to convince a UK official to let him continue in his own back yard.
      of course he's going to try to get up. am i supposed to be impressed? what was his alternative, staying down and looking like even more of a pathetic joke? being able to convince a referee that you're fit to continue is a part of survival and willpower. should i have said powers of recovery, survival instincts and fighting will? they're all a part and parcel of each other. Price didn't have it in him to recover from one less than devastating punch. it wasn't a bad stoppage, the fight wasn't stopped unnecessarily, he was spaghetti-legged and the official saved him from being battered around the ring like an outsized rag-doll. British fighters don't get stopped in the British prize-ring without good reason when Johnny Foreigner is in the opposite corner. one bump in the road and Price's goose was cooked. he's a chump next to Fury.

Thing is Furys 'extraordinary handspeed and fluidity' (bit superfluous there methinks) was most definitely not 'obvious' when he was a tub of lard.
      clearly not to a noob who lacks discernment, but i and many others were able to perceive his raw physical talent and remarked upon it at the time. he was limber enough, even for a chunky fellow, that it was easy to see how good he could be if whipped into proper condition. i don't know where you were when Fury was coming up through the ams and making his professional debut on Carl Froch's undercard, but i was watching boxing and posting on this forum (among other things).

after reading that, i have no use for the rest of your post (if you could witness the handspeed and punching fluidity Fury demonstrated as an oversized young man and not find it remarkable, you should choose another sport). blowing my nerd-radar up with use of the phrase 'methinks' just tops it off.

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
      Did you seriously just refer to him as 'Luke'?

Athletic ability doesn't win fights, ask Andre Berto. You point to times Fury was in trouble and him surviving them, but he was in trouble against opponents he shouldn't have been in trouble against.

Fury's tightened a few aspects of his game up and learnt how to jab but I'm not satisfied with his potential until he fights a man of his own size. Very well jabbing on the outside against a midget and his fast feet and hands allow him to get away with defensive flaws but how does he fair against bigger & better opposition.

Either way, neither man will amount to a great deal.
      yes, i referred to him as Luke. what would a chubby punk kid who lives with his mama have to say about that?

why would you even bring up Berto, chubs? the guy moves like he's stuck in molasses. he's not unusually athletic for a man his size in this sport. a bit of pop and a decent punch-arsenal is pretty much all that ever stood out about Berto.

athletic versatility will make for a better boxer, period. example - Pernell Whitaker was a fine technician, but he was also an exceptional athlete. athletic ideals are nuanced somewhat from sport to sport, but the athletic desirables of boxing are litheness, dexterity of foot and hand, torso-control, the ability to perform a full range of bodily movement with ease. are you going to tell me that those qualities (in varying degrees of abundance) don't benefit a boxer when coupled with fundamental learning? look at Tim Bradley, both an excellent technician and athlete. athletic ability and technical skill is the best formula for consistent results in this sport.

Fury is better than Price in all departments save pop. if ever the term 'robot' befitted a fighter, that fighter would be David Price. a lithe big man heavy who can slip and slide >>>>> an oaf like Price all day.

technically and athletically, Fury craps on Price. the more conditioned we see him, the busier we see him, the more freely mobile we see him. and more than just 'tightening up' his game, Fury has shown a developing technical skillset - lateral movement, creates angles, increasing head and upper-body movement, can work inside, knows how and when to spoil, selects punches well. his awareness of the ring and how to general it is constantly refining.

he shouldn't have been in trouble against Chisora? what does anyone think would have happened to Price had he faced Dereck Chisora? Pajkic? getting caught on the chin and dropped by a tough, game, industrious journeyman opponent is the kind of experience that helps turn a young man from a developing young talent into a professional fighter. anyone who thought Pajkic should be some some easy mark at that stage of Fury's development hadn't done their homework. had Price fought that guy, he would've been knocked the fuck out with the same overhand right that dropped Luke. clowns can talk crap about guys like Pajkic and Firtha, but they represented worthwhile seasoning, some variety and some decent padding to a young fighter's record. after being weened on the usual diet of novices and perennial losers for his first ten fights, Price stuck exclusively to the easily identifiable mediocrities and over-the-hill names of the UK domestic scene and was kept well clear of lesser known quan****** with winning records from other shores before Wank Baloney's backfiring attempt to cherry-pick what he believed was a ripe name in Thompson.

Fury has the potential to amount to something. if he stays interested and motivated and continues to be managed correctly and matched progressively and with variety, he's more than capable of becoming a champion and participating in high-end fights. Price never truly had that kind of potential. people just bought into that jug-eared dullard because he punches hard and looks vaguely hench. period.

nah, i rememer you posting this, "Fury's already had to dig deep and show us what he's got and that makes a fighter stronger where as Price hasn't been tested" to cover your ass after i posted this, "i have read your posts on Fury and they are uniformly dreadful, particularly the ones featuring the unsound reasoning that Price has blown through opponents where Fury has been placed in adversity by some of his. it's precisely because Fury has had an uneven road that he will be better served by his early fights than Price will. he's learned more by having a harder time with opponents (and common opponents) than Price has learned by blowing through them."
      Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 02-26-2013, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
        the first time Price lands in some stylistic trouble and gets hurt, it'll be against someone at fringe-world or world level, and he won't have it there to draw on.

Comment

S.Saddler schoolin' fools

Comment

ohhh, i see. mr. cruise is one of the 'Fury ducked Price' crowd. he was supping that Kool-Aid.

truth is, Price and Baloney were only ever using Fury's name to build theirs because Fury was getting millions of viewers on terrestrial TV and nobody outside the community of hardcore boxingheads knew who Price was. they were never serious about the complex negotiations that would've needed to be thrashed out to get that fight on and were more than happy for Luke to vacate so they could take on an overmatched foe for that Lonsdale belt. both camps were content to let the 'rivalry' simmer and build - as it turned out (unsurprisingly), Price just couldn't keep his end up.
            Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 02-26-2013, 01:28 AM.

Comment

I had issue with you questioning his fighting will, which is not under question yet. His recuperative powers and ability to take a punch are obviously fair game.

Ive followed Furys entire pro career, he had some impressive nights, some mediocre ones, and some damn right awful ones. The only reason he looked a good prospect before getting into shape was because of the weakness of the era and thats it. If this was the 90's and he was getting into wars with Mcdermot no one would have looked twice at him. Yes he looks a good prospect now and he most probably will go far (due in part again to a weak era), but he was not as impressive coming up. His 'athletic ability' up until recently consisted of being very tall and not a terrible boxer. His balance was all over the place, he had zero defense, stamina was terrible, and he was getting dropped and wobbled by very mediocre opponents with little power.

Yeah forget the fact that Fury held the British and Commonwealth titles when Price was in position to fight him for them, he drops the belts to move on with his career... only to go and fight 40+ Martin Rogan for the Irish belt. I dont subscibe to fighters ducking each other, but someone in Furys team didnt want to fight Price.

insulting me because im a 'nerd', what are we 12? Being a 'nerd' (depite the fact i play every sport under the sun) is what is going to get me paid silly money once i leave uni so ill take it as a compliment thanks
              Last edited by Tom Cruise; 02-26-2013, 07:13 AM.

Comment

yes, i referred to him as Luke. what would a chubby punk kid who lives with his mama have to say about that?

why would you even bring up Berto, chubs? the guy moves like he's stuck in molasses. he's not unusually athletic for a man his size in this sport. a bit of pop and a decent punch-arsenal is pretty much all that ever stood out about Berto.

athletic versatility will make for a better boxer, period. example - Pernell Whitaker was a fine technician, but he was also an exceptional athlete. athletic ideals are nuanced somewhat from sport to sport, but the athletic desirables of boxing are litheness, dexterity of foot and hand, torso-control, the ability to perform a full range of bodily movement with ease. are you going to tell me that those qualities (in varying degrees of abundance) don't benefit a boxer when coupled with fundamental learning? look at Tim Bradley, both an excellent technician and athlete. athletic ability and technical skill is the best formula for consistent results in this sport.

Fury is better than Price in all departments save pop. if ever the term 'robot' befitted a fighter, that fighter would be David Price. a lithe big man heavy who can slip and slide >>>>> an oaf like Price all day.

technically and athletically, Fury craps on Price. the more conditioned we see him, the busier we see him, the more freely mobile we see him. and more than just 'tightening up' his game, Fury has shown a developing technical skillset - lateral movement, creates angles, increasing head and upper-body movement, can work inside, knows how and when to spoil, selects punches well. his awareness of the ring and how to general it is constantly refining.

he shouldn't have been in trouble against Chisora? what does anyone think would have happened to Price had he faced Dereck Chisora? Pajkic? getting caught on the chin and dropped by a tough, game, industrious journeyman opponent is the kind of experience that helps turn a young man from a developing young talent into a professional fighter. anyone who thought Pajkic should be some some easy mark at that stage of Fury's development hadn't done their homework. had Price fought that guy, he would've been knocked the fuck out with the same overhand right that dropped Luke. clowns can talk crap about guys like Pajkic and Firtha, but they represented worthwhile seasoning, some variety and some decent padding to a young fighter's record. after being weened on the usual diet of novices and perennial losers for his first ten fights, Price stuck exclusively to the easily identifiable mediocrities and over-the-hill names of the UK domestic scene and was kept well clear of lesser known quan****** with winning records from other shores before Wank Baloney's backfiring attempt to cherry-pick what he believed was a ripe name in Thompson.

Fury has the potential to amount to something. if he stays interested and motivated and continues to be managed correctly and matched progressively and with variety, he's more than capable of becoming a champion and participating in high-end fights. Price never truly had that kind of potential. people just bought into that jug-eared dullard because he punches hard and looks vaguely hench. period.

nah, i rememer you posting this, "Fury's already had to dig deep and show us what he's got and that makes a fighter stronger where as Price hasn't been tested" to cover your ass after i posted this, "i have read your posts on Fury and they are uniformly dreadful, particularly the ones featuring the unsound reasoning that Price has blown through opponents where Fury has been placed in adversity by some of his. it's precisely because Fury has had an uneven road that he will be better served by his early fights than Price will. he's learned more by having a harder time with opponents (and common opponents) than Price has learned by blowing through them."
                Has your admiration for Mr.Fury gone so far that you're referring to him as Luke? Did I mention anything about Fury being in trouble against Chisora? You pretty much re-iterated the rest of my comments in that post and made some stupid assumptions.

Don't think I'm iffy on Fury and sold on Price, far from it. Fury's already had to dig deep and show us what he's got and that makes a fighter stronger where as Price hasn't been tested. I was the one who posted Price getting dropped by Fury in the amateurs, remember?

We haven't seen him go 12 nor have we seen him in a tough situation. He's not the perfect boxer either and is open to certain shots. Skelton managed to just walk into him within the first 30 seconds and whilst you're blowing away opposition, you can become complacent and develop bad habits.
                Good job at picking out of context comments.
                Last edited by D-MiZe; 02-26-2013, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Good job at picking out of context comments.
                  No you are mistaken, only Fury, Earl an Saddler had prophetic ability to spot Prices flaws. Your quote must be wrong.

Comment

No you are mistaken, only Fury, Earl an Saddler had prophetic ability to spot Prices flaws. Your quote must be wrong.

It's that inferior complex in play again, anyone who criticised Fury and believed Price was the better of the two automatically became huge Price fans in their eyes.

There isn't a post on this forum where I say I'm a Price fan and apparently struggling against John McDermott is not a cause for concern.

Comment

I had issue with you questioning his fighting will, which is not under question yet. His recuperative powers and ability to take a punch are obviously fair game.
                      of course he's going to try to get up. am i supposed to be impressed? what was his alternative, staying down and looking like even more of a pathetic joke? being able to convince a referee that you're fit to continue is a part of survival and willpower. should i have said powers of recovery, survival instincts and fighting will? they're all a part and parcel of each other. Price didn't have it in him to recover from one less than devastating punch. it wasn't a bad stoppage, the fight wasn't stopped unnecessarily, he was spaghetti-legged and the official saved him from being battered around the ring like an outsized rag-doll. British fighters don't get stopped in the British prize-ring without good reason when Johnny Foreigner is in the opposite corner. one bump in the road and Price's goose was cooked.
                      he doesn't have what it takes.

The only reason he looked a good prospect before getting into shape was because of
                      ...his raw physical talent. in assessing the professional potential of a young boxer/athlete, you're looking for signs of how good he could be. you're not thinking about the relative strength of the era (the landscape of a weight-class can look very different in just a couple of years).

If this was the 90's and he was getting into wars with Mcdermot no one would have looked twice at him.
                      please. Fury, as a 23 year old heavyweight, is still a baby even now - he was green and unpolished as hell when he fought McDermott. how much do you think he'd struggle with McDermott now? are you the guys who talk about Adrien Broner struggling with Fernando Quintero four years ago like it's a hugely relevant factor in 2013?

it's an embarrassing conversation when those you're attempting discourse with can't even grasp basic concepts like progressive development.

Fury is not the finished article. after 20 fights, he has fulfilled some of the potential he clearly demonstrated as a teenager and has potential still to burn.

Price has stayed more or less in one place for the entirety of his professional upbringing. he hasn't been developing or becoming to any significant degree, which is part of why it was so easy (at least, apparently, for myself, Earl and Fury) to forsee his eventual downfall against an opponent who would be experienced but heavily unfancied coming in.

this was Price's moment, the potential is not there for him to develop significantly from what he is now, he's too limited. with Fury, there's much room for improvement. as i've said before, Luke could take a loss in his next fight, or two losses in his next four fights, and still achieve something in the long haul. time is on his side. all he needs to do is maintain his enthusiasm for the sport and keep his head focused on his craft, the rest will follow. getting knocked down, losing fights, struggling in fights, all of these experiences are instructive and constructive if the fighter has significant ability to spare as well as the capacity to evolve with learning (which latter has already been demonstrated in Fury's case).

Yes he looks a good prospect now and he most probably will go far (due in part again to a weak era), but he was not as impressive coming up.
                      DUH. are fighters supposed to look worse after 20 fights than they looked after 1, 5, 10 fights? what kind of backward point are you trying to impress upon me here?

let's not play revisionist historian and pretend that nobody was excited abut Fury just because your eye was undeveloped, you were naive, your senses were dull and you weren't excited about Fury. how old were you, anyway? 16, 17, 18? at that age, guys like me are teaching guys like you about the sport. punk kids don't know shit and should only be seen and not heard.

anyway, back to class - again, it doesn't surprise me if those who surveyed the young Fury with a lazy or uneducated eye saw little of worth in the kid, but those with discernment saw the potential and saw him becoming what he is now (and better further down the line).

clearly not to a noob who lacks discernment, but i and many others were able to perceive his raw physical talent and remarked upon it at the time. he was limber enough, even for a chunky fellow, that it was easy to see how good he could be if whipped into proper condition.
                      all the people who saw something in the chubby, curly-haired youth just got lucky? they risked their credibility by investing faith in an overweight, teenaged gypo who, by some fluke, just so happened to turn out to be a decent enough fighter to save them from looking stupid? it wasn't a matter of keen discernment and being able to spot and measure talent/potential in the raw?

give me a break.

His 'athletic ability' up until recently consisted of being very tall and not a terrible boxer. His balance was all over the place, he had zero defense, stamina was terrible, and he was getting dropped and wobbled by very mediocre opponents with little power.
                      your eye sucks.

to the unbolded section - i repeat that it's an embarrassing conversation when those you're attempting discourse with can't even grasp basic concepts like progressive development of raw talent.

Yeah forget the fact that Fury held the British and Commonwealth titles when Price was in position to fight him for them, he drops the belts to move on with his career... only to go and fight 40+ Martin Rogan for the Irish belt. I dont subscibe to fighters ducking each other, but someone in Furys team didnt want to fight Price.

insulting me because im a 'nerd', what are we 12? Being a 'nerd' (depite the fact i play every sport under the sun) is what is going to get me paid silly money once i leave uni so ill take it as a compliment thanks
                      oh lawd, internet boasts. 'every sport under the sun', 'silly money'. bit superfluous, methinks. somebody must be insecure about their place in the world. another kid living off mommy. are you expecting to make that money from talent-spotting? if so, you might have to rethink your plans.

who on earth calls themselves 'tom cruise' on a boxing forum, anyway? terry-cloth. smh.
                      Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 02-26-2013, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X