No announcement yet.

Frankie Gavin vs Junior Witter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timbatron View Post
    Let's be honest, if Frankie Gavin ever becomes a world champion (which I doubt) it will be the typical Frank Warren WBO route where he'll be fighting scrubs (see Nathan Cleverly).

Ok, Frankie Gavin will be a European level fighter, and there's no shame in that, but the welterweight divisions are stacked with young talent and I fail to see where Gavin could fit in?

His boxing skills are good, but he has no power, little strength, and isn't aggressive enough to be considered among the best at 140/147.

Khan
    Ortiz
    Alexander
    Bailey
    Jones
    Brook
    Bradley
    Rios
    Peterson
    Olusegun
    Garcia
    Matthysse
    Alvarado
    Prescott
    C.Jones
    Mallignaggi
    Guerrero
    Porter
    Marquez

- All of these fighters beat Gavin and most stop him.
    It's only his 14th fight and he's been far from committed up to this point if he knuckles down he's got the talent . You don't have to have power and aggression paulie - no power Alexander - no aggression . It's about skills and he's got them !

Comment

Let's be honest, if Frankie Gavin ever becomes a world champion (which I doubt) it will be the typical Frank Warren WBO route where he'll be fighting scrubs (see Nathan Cleverly).

Ok, Frankie Gavin will be a European level fighter, and there's no shame in that, but the welterweight divisions are stacked with young talent and I fail to see where Gavin could fit in?

His boxing skills are good, but he has no power, little strength, and isn't aggressive enough to be considered among the best at 140/147.

Khan
      Ortiz
      Alexander
      Bailey
      Jones
      Brook
      Bradley
      Rios
      Peterson
      Olusegun
      Garcia
      Matthysse
      Alvarado
      Prescott
      C.Jones
      Mallignaggi
      Guerrero
      Porter
      Marquez

- All of these fighters beat Gavin and most stop him.
      He's a contender at worst.

I'd love to see Malignaggi-Gavin, I reckon 'Magic Man' would get schooled.

You're making a mistake judging him off last night's performance and once he upped the pace a little bit he coasted to victory. I don't think he fits the 147 lb division, either he grows into it or goes down to 140.

The main issue is his condition, he needs a strength & conditioning coach to increase his stamina & power.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
        He's a contender at worst.

I'd love to see Malignaggi-Gavin, I reckon 'Magic Man' would get schooled.

You're making a mistake judging him off last night's performance and once he upped the pace a little bit he coasted to victory. I don't think he fits the 147 lb division, either he grows into it or goes down to 140.

The main issue is his condition, he needs a strength & conditioning coach to increase his stamina & power.
        I've seen 90% his fights and I've not been entertained once. He's a decent fighter, but I just can't root for him.

Comment

I've seen 90% his fights and I've not been entertained once. He's a decent fighter, but I just can't root for him.
          I've seen 'em all and was really big on him at the start but he hasn't got rid of that amateur style. It was never going to be an entertaining fight and I believe if he had an opponent like Matthew Hatton, he'd look a lot better.

I don't like the idea of him being trained by his amateur coach, he should look elsewhere. Would like to see him with the Tibbs.

Comment

I've seen 'em all and was really big on him at the start but he hasn't got rid of that amateur style. It was never going to be an entertaining fight and I believe if he had an opponent like Matthew Hatton, he'd look a lot better.

I don't like the idea of him being trained by his amateur coach, he should look elsewhere. Would like to see him with the Tibbs.
            He was working with Tibbs wasn't he?

I always thought Gavin was one of the more talented amateurs that have come through but his issues outside the ring and committment just hasn't been there. He's 27 and he's just had his 14th professional fight. It seems to me like a lot of fighters under Warren struggle to be active (DeGale, Groves, Brook, Mitchell, etc).

I think he'll end up being no more than another Matthew Hatton IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post
              He was working with Tibbs wasn't he?

I always thought Gavin was one of the more talented amateurs that have come through but his issues outside the ring and committment just hasn't been there. He's 27 and he's just had his 14th professional fight. It seems to me like a lot of fighters under Warren struggle to be active (DeGale, Groves, Brook, Mitchell, etc).

I think he'll end up being no more than another Matthew Hatton IMO.
              Nah, he was with Arnie Farnell up in Manchester before returning to his amateur coach. Warren is suffocating a lot of his best prospects, he has too many fighters on his books. The Hearn's are doing it right, look at Scott Cardle & Kal Yafai. Good to see DeGale with Hennessy though, I wish our fighters were more spread out across the promotional companies.

Why are people so blind to Frankie Gavin?

I'm not proclaiming him to be some world beater but he's certainly more talented than the likes of Matthew Hatton, that's just a ridiculous statement. His discipline outside of the ring was questionable at the start of this year but since he's hired a nutritionist and looked great at the weigh-in. If you're going to judge Frankie, at least judge him on a fight where the opponent isn't Junior Witter. He's put his issues outside of the ring behind him and I reckon the British title will be a big boost to his confidence.

Comment

Nah, he was with Arnie Farnell up in Manchester before returning to his amateur coach. Warren is suffocating a lot of his best prospects, he has too many fighters on his books. The Hearn's are doing it right, look at Scott Cardle & Kal Yafai. Good to see DeGale with Hennessy though, I wish our fighters were more spread out across the promotional companies.

I'm not proclaiming him to be some world beater but he's certainly more talented than the likes of Matthew Hatton, that's just a ridiculous statement. His discipline outside of the ring was questionable at the start of this year but since he's hired a nutritionist and looked great at the weigh-in. If you're going to judge Frankie, at least judge him on a fight where the opponent isn't Junior Witter. He's put his issues outside of the ring behind him and I reckon the British title will be a big boost to his confidence.
                Exactly he's far more than a mat Hatton , he's defantly got the skills to go far it's just his private life and attitude that could derail him . And tbh even at 38 junior witter is a good win he's a former world champ with an awkward style and experience to beat him in your 14th fight is impressive

Also he was with tibbs briefly but I think he pulled the fight at the last minute and never boxed for him
                Last edited by Jamesv3; 11-02-2012, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty certain Gavin went from Farnell to Tibbs and then back to his old amatuer coach.

But anyway, I agree with all your points.

Gavin can go far if he keeps his mind right. Witter is a fight where you take the win and move on. Gavin got better as the fight progressed but it was a pretty dull affair. Still prefer him at LWW but doesn't look like that will happen again.

Comment

I thought Gavin would stop Witter. Fell asleep waiting.

Comment

Working...
                    X