No announcement yet.

British Bouts Next Weekend

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Bouts Next Weekend

Well after last nights extravaganza from Vegas we turn back to the UK for next Saturday's boxing (well, people from the isles will be).

Starting with Dudey McCloskey, on paper he has an easy fight against a light punching journeyman with 7 losses but take away the Jaramillo result & his losses have come against opponents with a combined 94-2-3 record. And he's coming off wins against a couple of decent opponents & is the NABF Champion. Only Brandon Rios has stopped him so this fight has distance written all over it (Corley still has a wallop).

Switching bills Scott Harrison continues his comeback. I know this is a nothing fight at the moment but if he wins - & looks good doing so - he may well be matched up with Burns in a all Scottish bout, should Ricky get past Mitchell.

Lee Selby against Martin Lindsay should be a cracker. Selby has stopped 5 of his last 6 (after being 7(0)-1) but Appleby has decent whiskers & a fair dig himself. I'd have to lean towards the Welshman but who knows in this one. Celtic Pride at stake.

Carl Frampton had an impressive outing against Hirales last time out & steps it up another level against experienced Canadian Steve Molitor. He might be on the downside of his career but he loves fighting British fighters (remember Tony Pep & Donovan Boucher?) and has plenty of skills. A win here & he's back in title contention & he may well have too many tricks for The Jackal. I think Carl will be properly prepared though & will grind out a close decision.

And last but not least Ricky Burns against Kevin Mitchell. I'm West Ham all the way so will be cheering on Kevin but I am a big fan of Burns & my head is leaning towards him in this fight. Since beating Martinez he has gone from strength to strength & comes in mentally & physically ready in every bout. We can't say the same about Mitchell who has only fought twice since the Katsidis debacle - although he was brilliant against Murray - but I can't see him hurting Burns so he'll have to box at his very best.

Plenty of good bouts for me & hopefully I can watch them all before I shoot off to work at 7pm East Coast time.

I got Mitchell on this one he's a class fighter and if he fails he may as well quit and I think he knows that I really can't see burns beating him although I've thought that plenty of times and burns has proved me wrong . I hope frampton wins but molitor is a huge step up fingers crossed they haven't been to brave

Comment

I'm backing Mitchell but he will have to box very well to beat Burns. I'm hearing Mitchell is in good shape and has cut out the booze so hopefully that will mean he is fully focused on the job this time.

Comment

Great weekend of boxing.

I favour Burns to outpoint Mitchell in a tough fight. Looking forward to the Belfast card more though, really interested in the development of Frampton & Selby. Yafai, Cardle, Ward were some of our best amateurs and I cannot wait to see them make their mark on the pro game.

Comment

Yeah selby has been getting better and better I wonder how far he will go ? I think he needs to step up if he wins this one comfortably

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesv3 View Post
            Yeah selby has been getting better and better I wonder how far he will go ? I think he needs to step up if he wins this one comfortably
            Well Lindsay is a great test. The longer it goes the more I favour him. Can't wait though.....

Comment

I think Frampton beats Molitor in a close fight,its a huge step up for carl i can't see him blowing the canadian out of there,it goes to the scorecards imo
              Same with the Mitchell fight,i think he wins a close decision although i wouldn't be shocked if Burns pulled it off,he proved me wrong in the Katz fight and has improved immensely in the last few years
              Lindsay/Selby is yet another tough one too call,im going to sit on the fence on this one and just enjoy what is bound to be an interesting contest
              I couldnt care less about McCloskey,he isnt world class and he is frustrating too watch,low work-rate considering he doesnt have huge power,a ridiculously low guard considering his reflexes are average at best,just a horrible irritating style

All in all a great night of boxing,im really looking forward to the weekend

Comment

According to Paddy Power you can get 5-1 on a Molitor points victory.

I'm not saying that WILL be the result but they do seem like excellent odds for a little bet.

Comment

I can't wait for Mitchell-Burns. I'm rooting for Mitchell to full effect.

I think it will be a competitve fight and I worry that Mitchell will struggle to get the decision in Glasgow.

Looking forward to Frampton-Molitor aswell. Two big fights this weekend.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing Frampton and Selby in action again.

Think I'm going to be rooting for Burns come fight night.

Comment

Working...
                    X