No announcement yet.

UK World Boxing Champions Quiz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK World Boxing Champions Quiz

Hey guys, I've created a quiz on Sporcle (a quiz website) about all the British World champions. To the best of my knowledge and my research, everything is correct, but I'd like feedback so I can edit out any mistakes. Obviously I'd like everyone to try and post their score as well!

The quiz accepts both linear champions (universally-recognised and Ring Magazine) and belt holders (WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO).

Here it is: http://www.sporcle.com/games/Lethal_...oxingchampions

Let me know what you think. Cheers.

Just had a go now mate. Good quiz, the only error I noticed was that you had Carl Thompson as LHW champ rather than CW.

I got 41 out of 70. I got all but 2 from the first row, but hardly any of the lighter weight boxers.

Comment

Good stuff mate, I love these sporcle quizes.

You've included McGuigan who's not from the UK, but no other Irish world champions. Duke McKenzie's flyweight and bantamweight world titles don't come up, yet Fitzsimmons for example is listed in each of his three weight divisions.

Comment

Cheers fellas. I've tried editing out the mistakes, but apparantly games can't be edited. The Thompson one was just a typo, I have no idea why McKenzie is only down with only one belt and the McGuigan issue was a decision. As he competed and won a British title, having achieved British citizenship, I'm considering him jointly Irish and British (no offence intended to any Irish people!).

Comment

Originally posted by P4P Opinion View Post
          Hey guys, I've created a quiz on Sporcle (a quiz website) about all the British World champions. To the best of my knowledge and my research, everything is correct, but I'd like feedback so I can edit out any mistakes. Obviously I'd like everyone to try and post their score as well!

The quiz accepts both linear champions (universally-recognised and Ring Magazine) and belt holders (WBC, WBA, IBF and WBO).

Here it is: http://www.sporcle.com/games/Lethal_...oxingchampions

Let me know what you think. Cheers.
          Good stuff, greenK given..

A few mistakes at bantam - Johnny Caldwell, Pedlar Palmer and Billy Plimmer were all universal champs..

At featherweight, Colin McMillan isn't there as a WBO featherweight champ, and neither is Pat Clinton at super-fly..

I doubt anyone will get 70/70 because Murray Sutherford is spelt wrong.. It should be Murray Sutherland, but other than that it's a fantastic effort, well done!

I actually surprised myself and got 61 out of 70.. I may have got more, but couldn't get the spellings of Maccarinelli, McCullough and Reid right..

I completely missed Matt Wells (WW), Alex Arthur (SFW), Terry Baldock (BW), Joe Symonds (FLY) and shamefully, Freddie Welsh at LW

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
            Good stuff, greenK given..

A few mistakes at bantam - Johnny Caldwell, Pedlar Palmer and Billy Plimmer were all universal champs..

At featherweight, Colin McMillan isn't there as a WBO featherweight champ, and neither is Pat Clinton at super-fly..

I doubt anyone will get 70/70 because Murray Sutherford is spelt wrong.. It should be Murray Sutherland, but other than that it's a fantastic effort, well done!

I actually surprised myself and got 61 out of 70.. I may have got more, but couldn't get the spellings of Maccarinelli, McCullough and Reid right..

I completely missed Matt Wells (WW), Alex Arthur (SFW), Terry Baldock (BW), Joe Symonds (FLY) and shamefully, Freddie Welsh at LW
            yes i enjoyed it and my downfall was same as yours in that my spelling was not up to scratch i also fell way short of your score only getting 50 out of 70

Comment

I shocked myself and managed to get 55

Good quiz mate

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                yes i enjoyed it and my downfall was same as yours in that my spelling was not up to scratch i also fell way short of your score only getting 50 out of 70
                50 is good.. After that I had a go at naming all the undisputed HW champs, and did abysmally, scoring 16 out of 23 lol.. My head was still overloaded with British fighters and I couldn't get my shots off.. I won't deny that British Boxing is my favourite subject and I know far more about it than I do about any other aspects of the game, so the quiz was right up my alley.. I always find it easiest to start at flyweight and work my way up.. Great Britain virtually owned that division during the 1st half of the 20th century..

You had Symonds and Wilde up until 1923, then after a 9 year barron spell, we had 6 champs in a row, who I always remember as a group (Brown to Lynch to Kane to Paterson to Monaghan to Allen) who dominated the division until 1950 (18 yrs)..
                I completely forgot about Symonds because he was before Wilde and wasn't in the group of 6.. But by being able to rattle off Wilde + the group of 6 in what most people regard as the least talked about division, kind'a puts you in a good rhythm and it starts to get easier as you move up the scale.. I needed 10 hard minutes to get from super-fly to featherweight, and then sailed through the rest in under 5.. I'd say the secret, is learning the lower weights because from WW upwards, most of them were household names to boxing fans of our age bracket.. Oh, & cheers for pointing this thread out to me, good call!

On a side.. I think it may have been Percy Jones who was our 1st champ at flyweight and I would have probably got him by accident, thinking of Paul 'Silky' Jones at 154 lol.. Tancy Lee is another name who comes to mind (only now) who I believe beat all the big names, but not with a world title at stake.. Fuk me, thats 9 universal champions in two era's!.. UK must have been a haven of tough midgets back in the day.
                Last edited by mickey malone; 05-13-2010, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Christ i only got 28.

Comment

Working...
                  X