No announcement yet.

khan more talented than naz?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaolin Bushido
    No but he won a world title! A fighter like Naz comes along once in a lifetime and it's already happened.

Khan is a decent prospect, that's all.
    He didn't win a world title at age 17! He was born in '74 and won the IBF title in '97. It's okay that you're on the Naz band wagon (most got off when he was exposed), but saying that he was a greater talent than Khan at the age of 17, based on what he accomplished as a 23 year old is plain ridiculous! Geez...

Comment

Khan looks to be a great prospect, he seems to have good technical ability whereas Naz is more of an exciting hard hitter and flamboyant character. It's probably too early to say, we'll find out much more about Khan when he turns pro. I just hope he doesn't start believing the inevitable hype!

Comment

Latest News:

Khan gets Cuban farewell

John Rawling
        Monday March 28, 2005
        The Guardian

A rematch of the Olympic lightweight final between Cuba's Mario Kindelán and Amir Khan is to be staged at the Reebok Stadium in Bolton on April 16 in what is expected to be the British boxer's final amateur contest.

Kindelán, 34, has been one of the world's outstanding boxers in recent years and has recorded two victories over Khan, most recently in the Olympic final where he outpointed the Briton 30-22 in a contest that attracted almost 8m Sunday lunchtime viewers on BBC1.

Khan, 18, lobbied for the chance to face the Cuban again after announcing he would be starring as the main attraction on a fund-raising night for Bury Amateur Boxing Club, where he learned the sport. A sell-out crowd is guaranteed.

"Khan against Kindelán is the biggest amateur fight I can make," Warren said. "Amir wanted this badly because he believes he has what it takes to win. You could say that it is a case of unfinished business. Then a big future waits him as a professional."

Warren also revealed that he is close to concluding a deal for the World Boxing Organisation world featherweight champion Scott Harrison to defend his title in Manchester against the popular Mancunian Michael Brodie.

The former World Boxing Council world super-middleweight champion Richie Woodhall, who has forged a successful career as a television and radio commentator since his retirement, has been appointed as the English Amateur Boxing Association's high-performance director, succeeding Ian Irwin.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk
          He didn't win a world title at age 17! He was born in '74 and won the IBF title in '97. It's okay that you're on the Naz band wagon (most got off when he was exposed), but saying that he was a greater talent than Khan at the age of 17, based on what he accomplished as a 23 year old is plain ridiculous! Geez...
          Your right about one thing he was born in '74... however he won the WBO title in '95 .. you can HATE all you want but thats a FACT. He's been there and done it.. Khan has it all to do yet, so before you jump on the Khan band wagon I suggest you wait and see how he performs in the pros.

As for Naz at 17.. he won the National Schoolboy Boxing Championship five times and the junior Amateur Boxing Association title twice.... and then went onto PROVE himself in the pro ranks.. a feat Khan is yet to do.

Comment

Originally posted by kingmo
            Your right about one thing he was born in '74... however he won the WBO title in '95 .. you can HATE all you want but thats a FACT. He's been there and done it.. Khan has it all to do yet, so before you jump on the Khan band wagon I suggest you wait and see how he performs in the pros.

As for Naz at 17.. he won the National Schoolboy Boxing Championship five times and the junior Amateur Boxing Association title twice.... and then went onto PROVE himself in the pro ranks.. a feat Khan is yet to do.
            First of all, if you'd bothered to read the thread, you'd know, we were discussing whether Naz had the same talent at Khan's age as Khan. National Schoolboy and Junior titles are NOT the same as winning The European youth title in '03, the Junior World title in '04 (all fights by outscore) AND Olympic silver in '04, all at the age of 17. When we're discussing their feats up until the age of 17, how do they compare? THAT'S what we were discussing.

Second, i'm not hating on Naz (or on Khan's bandwagon for that matter), I'm just pointing that Naz hadn't accomplished anywhere near what Khan had at age 17. That's a fact.
            Whether Khan will prove himself in the pro's or not, nobody knows, and I certainly never claimed otherwise, as that was not the topic of this discussion.

Comment

First of all, if you'd bothered to read the thread, you'd know, we were discussing whether Naz had the same talent at Khan's age as Khan. National Schoolboy and Junior titles are NOT the same as winning The European youth title in '03, the Junior World title in '04 (all fights by outscore) AND Olympic silver in '04, all at the age of 17. When we're discussing their feats up until the age of 17, how do they compare? THAT'S what we were discussing.

Second, i'm not hating on Naz (or on Khan's bandwagon for that matter), I'm just pointing that Naz hadn't accomplished anywhere near what Khan had at age 17. That's a fact.
              Whether Khan will prove himself in the pro's or not, nobody knows, and I certainly never claimed otherwise, as that was not the topic of this discussion.
              No, I think you should read the topic of the thread.. who is more TALENTED.. not who achieved more at that stage, that doesn't really count for much, as amateur titles dont count for much with regards to success in the paid ranks... the amateur and pro ranks are totally DIFFERENT. Britain has had 43, thats right 43 Olympic boxing medallists to date.. how many went on to win world titles or even got close?? Answer that. Like I said the amateur and pro ranks are WORLDS APART.

And anyway the thread does not say "when Khan was 17".. Khan is now 18 and turning over to the pro ranks. At 18 Naseem Hamed also turned pro he won 6 pro fights before his 19th birthday - 5 by ko.. Khan has not yet done so, WHEN he has than you can talk about it.

From the age of 18 to 21 Naz won the European bantamweight crown, WBC international super bantamweight crown and a version of the World featherweight title - WBO (aged 21, NOT at age 23 as you claim)... so if you wanna go by accomplishments Khan has got a lot to do in the next 3 years!! Naz has already done it.

Comment

(I claimed he won the IBF title at 23, never mentioned WBO, guess why?)
                The topic is as follows: "Khan more talented than Naz?"
                The only things you CAN compare is what they'd both achieved at the stage Khan is now at in his career, since he is the youngest of the two. Khan has yet to turn pro, so the only things you can compare are their amateur accomplishments. Comparing what Naz has already done, to what Khan has yet to do, is pure speculation, and can therefore only be based on personal likings, which is what you seem to base everything on (and therefore you seem to think everybody else has to be a big fan of Khan to lean his way in this, as evidenced by previous statements made by you.). I have know idea what Khan's future will bring and neither do you, but you are right, he has a lot to do in the next 3 years, if he is to follow in Naz's footsteps. Personally, I'd rather see him take his sweet time to develop, and therefore hopefully last a little longer in the game than Naz did... Oh, and you're right pro and amateur are WORLDS apart. In the pro game you can go 6-0 with 5 KO's within a year, if your promoter lines up enough tomato cans, and pulls enough strings for you, in the amateurs, you really have to be a good boxer to get silver at the olympics. No shortcuts. Maybe that's why Naz never accomplished anything as an amateur? :P

Comment

(I claimed he won the IBF title at 23, never mentioned WBO, guess why?)
                  The topic is as follows: "Khan more talented than Naz?"
                  The only things you CAN compare is what they'd both achieved at the stage Khan is now at in his career, since he is the youngest of the two. Khan has yet to turn pro, so the only things you can compare are their amateur accomplishments. Comparing what Naz has already done, to what Khan has yet to do, is pure speculation, and can therefore only be based on personal likings, which is what you seem to base everything on (and therefore you seem to think everybody else has to be a big fan of Khan to lean his way in this, as evidenced by previous statements made by you.). I have know idea what Khan's future will bring and neither do you, but you are right, he has a lot to do in the next 3 years, if he is to follow in Naz's footsteps. Personally, I'd rather see him take his sweet time to develop, and therefore hopefully last a little longer in the game than Naz did... Oh, and you're right pro and amateur are WORLDS apart. , and pulls enough strings for you, in the amateurs, you really have to be a good boxer to get silver at the olympics. No shortcuts. Maybe that's why Naz never accomplished anything as an amateur? :P

"Khan more talented than Naz?" - So which part of that dont you understand? more TALENTED doesn't mean who won more amateur titles.. Audley Harrison won gold, I could name several fighters (and so could you) who didn't have half the success as him in the amateurs and are way more talented than him. Wayne McCullough won an olympic silver at the '92 games.. Naz didn't even go.. was McCullough more talented than Naz?? Going by your reasoning he must have been, after all he achieved more as an amateur..lol. want me to go on??

"The only things you CAN compare is what they'd both achieved at the stage Khan is now at in his career" - Thats just plain daft.. so you CANT compare there abilities in the ring?? Khan is turning pro.. so therefore it is OBVIOUS that this thread is with regards to the PROFESSIONAL game and who is/was more talented at this stage in their careers in terms of PROFESSIONAL BOXING... as people are interested as to how far he can go. Not what he has already achieved in the amateurs.. as that is not up for debate.. it's in the history books plain and simple, we dont need you to point it out to everyone!

Everyone knows Khan has achieved more as an amateur.. he won an Olympic medal, Naz didn't even go to the Olympics. if that means he's more talented.. than there would be no point of this thread.. and everyone that has posted a reply with regards to power, speed, skill, reflexes, etc.. (other than you, and your unique reasoning) must not have a clue what they are talking about. Heres an interesting article for you, read what Robert Guerrero has to say about his achievements as an amateur.. most pro fighters and trainers will agree:

http://www.boxing-central.com/module...print&sid=5950

"you really have to be a good boxer to get silver at the olympics. No shortcuts. Maybe that's why Naz never accomplished anything as an amateur?" - 67 WINS to only 5 losses = NOTHING!!! And the reason Naz turned pro and didn't go to the olympics or even stay on for the senior ABA's is because his style was not suited to the amateur game.. anyone who knows anything about the sport understands that. And as for the Olympics, as I said before Wayne McCullough won the silver medal in '92.. you think Naz couldn't have got as far as Wayne??

"you really have to be a good boxer to get silver at the olympics" - By that I take it you dont "have to be a really good boxer" to win European and World titles as a professional than???

"In the pro game you can go 6-0 with 5 KO's within a year, if your promoter lines up enough tomato cans"... very true but they cant GIVE the European title to a "tomato can" and than match you up with him in only your TWELTH pro fight can they????

"When we're discussing their feats up until the age of 17, how do they compare?" - this is from your previous post.. NO were NOT, no one other than you is comparing their feats up to the age of 17.. as it is POINTLESS in every sense of the word. If you wanna discuss that, start a new thread and discuss it.

Comment

No, Naz is more talented but he is a sluggard that’s why Khan can get more in boxing.

Comment

Speculate all you want, and include the things Naz achieved at an older age than Khan's. By your line of reasoning Thomas Damgaard is more talented than Naz, since HE won the european title in his 9th fight!! So, there's your answer, yes they CAN give the european title to a tomato can!

Comment

Working...
                      X