No announcement yet.

The top 15 GREATEST BOXERS OF ALL TIME

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweet Pete View Post
    It makes much more sense with Sanchez, as he could've been so much more had death not stopped him. Nothing stopped Benitez, he was just past it by 23, nobody's fault but his.
    lack of dedication.he was diagnosed with of brain damage in 1986 at 27.in 89 he was diagnosed with traumatic enceohalopathy.i think his problems would equate to him peaking so early.

Comment

Originally posted by Piggu View Post
      Thread maker, no offense, but your list is absolute **** and I've now decided to completely disregard your opinion on everything for the rest of your life.
      You're being too hard on the boy. He's only 13, he'll grow up...

Comment

This is the worst list I have ever seen.

I will list mine.

Robinson,
        Ali
        Armstrong
        Sam Langford
        Joe Louis
        Willie Pepp
        Harry Greb
        Sugar Ray Leonard
        Floyd Mayweather
        Roberto Duran
        Benny Leonard
        Jack Johnson
        Roy Jones
        Marvin hagler...Ezzard Charles, Archie More Arguello tied Sweet Pea...all tied.

To list DlH in the top 20 is flat out ignorant...Yes he fought everyone but what great fighter did he ever convincingly beat...

Comment

Originally posted by teamwork7 View Post
          Who are the best boxers of all time? I have compiled a list of boxer’s based on their boxing ability, what they achieved in the sport, and how they conducted themselves in and out of the ring. I have put why I rate them so highly also. It is so hard to because every time you think you have it right, you go down the list and pretty much every fighter in their prime – you think “ he could have beaten him” I have decided on this list, and that is that, and it is based on pound for pound credibility’s basically.

1) Sugar Ray Robinson – Had it all, could defend, could attack, and could do anything.
          2) Muhammad Ali – Has to be right up there, could be below Robinson, or could be below Leonard, but I have him second.
          3) Rocky Marciano, - I think to retire undefeated in an era that was so hard, especially as a 5”10 Heavyweight was amazing, what a KO percentage – 87.75.
          4) Sugar ray Leonard - Some of you will think he should be higher, but I think I have him about right.
          5) Oscar De La Hoya – I think he has to be there, he has fought the best, and is one of the best. Goes in for a battle comes out usually unmarked having won. In his day could have beat all of these above him. I could have had him higher. In fact looking at it, he could be as high as number 3 really.
          6) Roy Jones Jnr – His record speaks for itself, multiple weight champions, still going today.
          7) Floyd Mayweather – People will argue this one to the hilt. But I say this – he has beat De la Hoya, Hatton, Judah etc, he could have fought in any era, a top class fighter.
          8) Jack Dempsey – Probably one of the most popular fighters of all, again KO’s were amazing.
          9) Joe Frazier – beat Ali, says it all really, lost to only Foreman & Ali, and that speaks for itself.
          10) Joe Louis – Held the heavy weight title for 11 years, before retiring after being KO by Rocky Marciano, which happened a lot to everyone else so.
          11) Bernard Hopkins or Joe Calzaghe if can beat him, Joe calzaghe ranked alongside him. Hopkins because of his stature within the fighting world, and his ability to move up the weights and win world titles. But I think that if Calzaghe beats him then he can be here – has been champion for over 10 years. His actual ability is up there with Ali, his hand speed, tactical boxing brain and ability to take a punch. I believe he could have fought in any era, pitty he could not have fought with Leonard.
          12) Evander Holyfield – A brilliant boxer, who had a brilliant career, wins over the likes of Tyson, Holmes & Foreman cement his position here amongst the greats.
          13) Mike Tyson – To win the world heavy weight crown at 20 is one hell of an achievement, but outside influences destroyed what could have been the best of all time.
          14) Jake La Motta – Some amongst us probably think he should not be here and those below that are mentioned should be, but I put him here for pure reputation inside and outside the boxing ring.
          15) Jack Johnson – The first black heavyweight, in an era that was hard, very hard and known fro brutality inside the ring as well as outside on the streets. A top class boxer, with a good heart.

Honorable mentions for their ability and what they bought to the sport.

Tommy Hearn’s, Marvin Haggler, Jimmy Wilde, Ricky Hatton (had to I’m British), George Foreman. Lennox Lewis, Henry Armstrong, Larry Holmes, Marco Antonio Barrera, Manny Pacquiao, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Steve Collins, Barry McGuigan, Henry Cooper.
          wow you know absoloutley **** about boxing..not only for the list, but for saying JACK DEMPSEY is the most popular fight of all??

Comment

Originally posted by wpink1 View Post
            This is the worst list I have ever seen.

I will list mine.

Robinson,
            Ali
            Armstrong
            Sam Langford
            Joe Louis
            Willie Pepp
            Harry Greb
            Sugar Ray Leonard
            Floyd Mayweather
            Roberto Duran
            Benny Leonard
            Jack Johnson
            Roy Jones
            Marvin hagler...Ezzard Charles, Archie More Arguello tied Sweet Pea...all tied.

To list DlH in the top 20 is flat out ignorant...Yes he fought everyone but what great fighter did he ever convincingly beat...
            Floyd in the top 15 eh? Interesting. In order? I don't see how it's humanly possible to rate Floyd over the guys you did, unless you're going solely on outline of their accomplishments, in which case some would honestly argue he's right there with Armstrong, Ross, Fitzsimmons, and other multi weight class winners.

Comment

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
              2. Henry Armstrong
              3. Joe Louis
              4. Muhammad Ali
              5. Roberto Durán
              6. Willie Pep
              7. Harry Greb
              8. Benny Leonard
              9. Jack Dempsey
              10. Mickey Walker
              11. Jack Johnson
              12. Tony Canzoneri
              13. Joe Gans
              14. Rocky Marciano
              15. Gene Tunney
              Honorable Mention:*
              • Mike Tyson
              • Stanley Ketchel
              • Barney Ross
              • Sandy Saddler
              • Larry Holmes
              • Sugar Ray Leonard
              • Thomas Hearns
              • Carlos Monzón
              • Marvelous Marvin Hagler
              • Julio Cesar Chavez
              *In no particular order.
              Last edited by Panamaniac; 12-16-2007, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                You're being too hard on the boy. He's only 13, he'll grow up...
                I'm 15. I was 13 when I joined. I was better than that. But I do agree that I was too hard on him, and for that, I apologize.

Comment

That is where I rate Mayweather. People are way to hard on him. He and no one else no days will have the 200 fights as a professional, not possible now days.. and they dont fight every week anymore...So that characteristic should not be considered when comparing him to those that did. Also, he is 5 division champ, 18-0 in title fights, undefeated, has fought and beaten all styles in where any day....and made it look relativly easy. The only thing keeping him from being above Leonard is that he needs to beat either 1-2 great all time great fighters at their peak, or he will need to beat the best of the welterweight division, that being Cotto and Williams.....Keep in mind Mayweather is not a actual or natural welterweight, and what we are asking of him is somethign that Duran, Leonard, and other did not do, and that is campaign at a weight class much higher than the one they orginally won their 1st title in and beat a series of top notch champions. For that qualifier IMO and since there is no Leonard etc....for him to fight then the best thing and a equallizing accomplishment would be for him at 147 to beat judah, baldomir, hatton cotto and williams.....If he does that then he eclipses leonard as leonard does not have 18 title defenses, or a sustained dominance, or is undefeated...etc...

Also, he imo already eclipses duran, who as time goes by and I do not fall into the Duran is the greatest ever lived saga, he drops further and further. Why? Cause his resume sucked that is why....At lightweight out f 70 fights 40 of them at least where no more that sparring partner quality and at least 30 of these fights happened after...I repeat AFTER Duran became champion. Most duran fans refuse to acknowledge that....simply go to Box rec. Duran beat some very good fighters,,,dejesus, Buchanon, Marcil, Kyobashi,,,then his big accomplishment was moving up and beating leoanrd. He has some more success's Moore and Barkley...For that he is rated in the top 15 of all time, but how can he be rated higher in comparision to Mayweather who outside of one lone top name, beat a larger group of good to very good champions..He beat more champions at a higher weight class while in their prime or close to it...Has won 5 titles while staying undefeated, never quit even when he broke his hand in fight or was fouled repeateldy hard, was involved in a melee where he was the one fouled but he kept his composure, .... I know some people are die hard Duran addicts and that is great, he was a assett to the sport, but he is way ....way overrated. He took ass whippings before the age of 34 by leonard, Benitez, Hagler, and was put to sleep by hearns,,and there were some other losses. I hear that some say it way past durans peakthat had a extensive amateur career til he was 19 and won a olympic medal vs a fighter who was fighting too at that time but his fights counted towards his professional record..and the fighters he faced were BUMS.... Many of them should not even be able to spar with A fighte of a Durans caliber...his 22 fight fighting a fighter with a record od 0-0 same for his 23rd fight, then 24th fight fighting a fighter with a 0-2, then 25th fight 5-2,,,26th fight 11-14-4... This is should be embarrassing for any Duran supporter to visit his resume and see the quality of fighters he built his resume on...You compare that to Mayweather's who progressivly got better with each fight...AFTER HIS 9TH FIGHT, he didnt fight a figher with a losing record..Can duran say the same thing, or better yet count the countless fighters he fought after being a champion who did have a losing record...hmmmm.

Also Mayweather moved up to fight his 1st welterweight batle when he was 28..spending 9 years dominating better fighters at the lower weights, a long olympic career, and not having the benifit of counting sparring sessions as fights to build up his resume. Duran moved up when he was 29 and already had a loss. Once the moved up Duran does own a win vs Leonard that Mayweather does not have a equal to, but the rest is landslide Mayweather in comparison. No losses, never been knocked out..beating better fighters repeatedly, undefeated and he has beaten better fighters and he is only 31,,,Duran boxed for many decades and can not boast the number of top fighters he beat.

Sorry duran fans..but aside from Leonard purposely fighting the wrong fight, Duran would be no higher than 25 all time..But for that one victory he moves up...But in a court of law where a we are judged on objective not subjective reasoning, and we use precidents (how we judge others in like situations) Duran would fail miserably..His resume sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                    1. Sugar Ray Robinson
                    2. Henry Armstrong
                    3. Joe Louis
                    4. Muhammad Ali
                    5. Roberto Durán
                    6. Willie Pep
                    7. Harry Greb
                    8. Benny Leonard
                    9. Jack Dempsey
                      Mickey Walker
                    10. Jack Johnson
                    11. Tony Canzoneri
                    12. Joe Gans
                    13. Rocky Marciano
                    14. Gene Tunney
                    Honorable Mention:*
                    • Mike Tyson
                    • Stanley Ketchel
                    • Barney Ross
                    • Sandy Saddler
                    • Larry Holmes
                    • Sugar Ray Leonard
                    • Thomas Hearns
                    • Carlos Monzón
                    • Marvelous Marvin Hagler
                    • Julio Cesar Chavez
                    *In no particular order.
                    ****!!!!! How the hell did I forget Walker?!?!?

I'll be revising my list a bit.

Comment

In no particular order (takes too long):

Ray Robinson

Pernell Whittaker

Muhammad Ali

Ray Leonard

Sam Langford

Willie Pep

Rocky Marciano

Roberto Duran

Roy Jones Jr.