No announcement yet.

Worst British Boxer of all time.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Franko View Post
    A thread titled 'Worst British Boxer of All Time' should not include Naseem Hamed. That is obvious to most I'm sure! It may very well be YOUR opinion that Hamed was over rated, but he certainly wasn't average, and certainly should not be mentioned when discussing 'The worst british boxer of all time! Maybe you should 'educate' yourself a little more on Hamed before posting 'opinions' about him.
    *Yawn* whatever! Erm, the fact that he chose to fight chumps, or fighters past their best is education enough ! The fact that the words 'who do you think' were mentioned would in fact suggest that opinion was to be used, how else could you tangibly measure who actually was the worst British boxer *I despair, I really do* ! Maybe you should just educate yourself in general!

You acknowledge my opinion, then state that I should educate myself, ermm yet another paradox (look it up, I have to use that word a lot here) - hey you've already educated yourself!

Comment

A thread titled 'Worst British Boxer of All Time' should not include Naseem Hamed. That is obvious to most I'm sure! It may very well be YOUR opinion that Hamed was over rated, but he certainly wasn't average, and certainly should not be mentioned when discussing 'The worst british boxer of all time! Maybe you should 'educate' yourself a little more on Hamed before posting 'opinions' about him.
      I made great Hamed points don't cha think. He was over rated a little. He was well above average IMO though.

Comment

Originally posted by buddychacon View Post
        I made great Hamed points don't cha think. He was over rated a little. He was well above average IMO though.
        Hamed had great power, no one is dis*****g that and few boxers at the weight could stand up it to, just like Frank Bruno at heavyweight! However that does not make Hamed an above average boxer, as soon as he fought a fighter with nous he was literally destroyed, and was made to look really stupid!

Comment

Originally posted by Flagellum Dei View Post
          Hamed had great power, no one is dis*****g that and few boxers at the weight could stand up it to, just like Frank Bruno at heavyweight! However that does not make Hamed an above average boxer, as soon as he fought a fighter with nous he was literally destroyed, and was made to look really stupid!
          I wouldn't go that far, Hamed was an above average boxer the problem he had was that MAB was an exceptional all round box fighter who on the night fought the correct fight.

I honestly believe if Naz had stopped all of the hype, trained harder and worked on the fundamentals more than relying on his punch than he would have been unbeatable as he had exceptional speed and reflexes to match his power.
          Unfortunately he didn't so.....
          Last edited by MickyHatton; 12-06-2006, 12:54 PM.

Comment

*Yawn* whatever! Erm, the fact that he chose to fight chumps, or fighters past their best is education enough ! The fact that the words 'who do you think' were mentioned would in fact suggest that opinion was to be used, how else could you tangibly measure who actually was the worst British boxer *I despair, I really do* ! Maybe you should just educate yourself in general!

You acknowledge my opinion, then state that I should educate myself, ermm yet another paradox (look it up, I have to use that word a lot here) - hey you've already educated yourself!
            Do you practice being a p*ick? I stated that it may very well be your opinion that Hamed is over rated and that's the only acknowledgement i gave. The 'fact' that Hamed chose to fight Barrera proves that he didn't choose to fight chumps! Yes, he'd have fought his fair share like any other fighter, but you weren't clear on that. The likes of Vazquez and Kelley were past their best but they certainly weren't chumps, but you can say that every fighter has fought fighters past their best, that's a fact!
            The words 'Who do you think?' shouldn't be used in reference to Naseem Hamed when discussing the worst british boxer of all time. That much is clear to the 'average' boxing enthusiast. Hamed seemed to neglect his work, especially when he left Brendan Ingle, but the Naseem Hamed that beat Steve Robinson was theoretically capable of testing any featherweight in history in my 'opinion', and this is something i have stated on other threads. Education would tell you that Steve Robinson, although not a great fighter, was no chump, and i'd like to know who exactly it is you would label a chump on the career record of Naseem Hamed. Sure, he fought his fair share like any other fighter, but i'm sure that none of them were as big a chump as you, despair on that!
            Last edited by Franko; 12-07-2006, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyHatton View Post
              I wouldn't go that far, Hamed was an above average boxer the problem he had was that MAB was an exceptional all round box fighter who on the night fought the correct fight.

I honestly believe if Naz had stopped all of the hype, trained harder and worked on the fundamentals more than relying on his punch than he would have been unbeatable as he had exceptional speed and reflexes to match his power.
              Unfortunately he didn't so.....
              I disagree, his hand speed was average, whereas his balance and footwork were terrible ! Hamed trained harder for the Barrera fight than for any other, his only redeeming feature was his power, leaving him a very one-dimentional and limited fighter! If Hamed was so good why didn't he change his tactics after the first 3 rounds - he must have known he was going nowhere? Answer; because he simply wasn't good enough to do so!

Hamed fell victim to his own hype, he actually believed he was the best! However, in the dressing room prior to the fight I think he realised his folly, he was terrified ! Are you seriously claiming that Hamed was better than Barrera or Morales? After a good hiding he went into retirement (don't mention the Calvo fight) and shyed away from any talk of a rematch, or a bout with Morales!

Comment

Do you practice being a p*ick? I stated that it may very well be your opinion that Hamed is over rated and that's the only acknowledgement i gave. The 'fact' that Hamed chose to fight Barrera proves that he didn't choose to fight chumps! Yes, he'd have fought his fair share like any other fighter, but you weren't clear on that. The likes of Vazquez and Kelley were past their best but they certainly weren't chumps, but you can say that every fighter has fought fighters past their best, that's a fact!
                The words 'Who do you think?' shouldn't be used in reference to Naseem Hamed when discussing the worst british boxer of all time. That much is clear to the 'average' boxing enthusiast. Hamed seemed to neglect his work, especially when he left Brendan Ingle, but the Naseem Hamed that beat Steve Robinson was theoretically capable of testing any featherweight in history in my 'opinion', and this is something i have stated on other threads. Education would tell you that Steve Robinson, although not a great fighter, was no chump, and i'd like to know who exactly it is you would label a chump on the career record of Naseem Hamed. Sure, he fought his fair share like any other fighter, but i'm sure that that none of them were as big a chump as you, despair on that!
                *yawn* again you're comments are senting me to sleep! Didn't Barrera step up from bantamweight to fight Hamed? There's Hameds angle, he believed because he could destroy featherweights he would easliy destroy a bantamweight, erm not true, he was given a boxing lesson which ultimately retired him - think on that!?! He dodged Barrera and Morales for ages! Were you there when Barrera challenged Hamed to sign a contract about 18 - 24months before the actual fight, which I may add Hamed and Warren refused!

Why do people like yourself never accept someone else's opinion, amd simply offer personal insults *by the way keep them coming, they are the only thing not sending me to sleep*, if you disagree then offer a rationale, which you have in part, I guess!
                Oh, and the words 'who do you think' can be used in any context! Same time, same bat-channel!

Comment

I disagree, his hand speed was average, whereas his balance and footwork were terrible ! Hamed trained harder for the Barrera fight than for any other, his only redeeming feature was his power, leaving him a very one-dimentional and limited fighter! If Hamed was so good why didn't he change his tactics after the first 3 rounds - he must have known he was going nowhere? Answer; because he simply wasn't good enough to do so!

Hamed fell victim to his own hype, he actually believed he was the best! However, in the dressing room prior to the fight I think he realised his folly, he was terrified ! Are you seriously claiming that Hamed was better than Barrera or Morales? After a good hiding he went into retirement (don't mention the Calvo fight) and shyed away from any talk of a rematch, or a bout with Morales!

In a word no!
                  I was only stating that in my opinion he was an above average boxer with exceptional power!

Again I have to disagree with the point about his speed, at times his hand speed was exceptional, I do agree about his balance and footwork though!

As for his condition for the Barrera fight, as I understood it he spent more time pursuing 'outside' activities than training and if I recall correctly he hired a plush mansion to train out of and attended various 'celeb' functions in the states leading up to the fight!

Comment

the problem with Hamed was he believed in his own hype, the people around him built him up in to something he was not, a good fighter. Wank Warren and Brendan Ingle kept the circus rolling and hamed being money motivated from and early age something Asian people are renowned for, really thought he was that good His inability to read properly and general lack of intelligence made him an ideal money maker for unscrupulous promoters, Wank Warren even managed to split him from Ingle to only person who new how good he really was, in a sense he protected him and was stabbed in the back by the person who need him the most. Hamed’s driving skills are matched by his boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by col Blake View Post
                      the problem with Hamed was he believed in his own hype, the people around him built him up in to something he was not, a good fighter. Wank Warren and Brendan Ingle kept the circus rolling and hamed being money motivated from and early age something Asian people are renowned for, really thought he was that good His inability to read properly and general lack of intelligence made him an ideal money maker for unscrupulous promoters, Wank Warren even managed to split him from Ingle to only person who new how good he really was, in a sense he protected him and was stabbed in the back by the person who need him the most. Hamed’s driving skills are matched by his boxing.
                      That driving skills was a lowblow, LMAO.

Comment

Working...
                      X