Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rick Taylor View Post
    foreman got exposed that night tbh.
    That's kinda harsh, but probably true.

It's difficult being a Heavyweight. I see it with kids I wrestled with, or kids I coached. You don't have many people to test you. The older you get and the further you proceed in competition, the fewer training partners you have.

George had a meteoric rise. So it's understandable that when he first met someone who could match his ability he struggled. What hurt George's legacy was his inability to get back on the horse.

Ali also stumbled when he ran into Frazier. But contrast how he rebounded to that setback with how George further plummeted after his loss to Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
      That's kinda harsh, but probably true.

It's difficult being a Heavyweight. I see it with kids I wrestled with, or kids I coached. You don't have many people to test you. The older you get and the further you proceed in competition, the fewer training partners you have.

George had a meteoric rise. So it's understandable that when he first met someone who could match his ability he struggled. What hurt George's legacy was his inability to get back on the horse.

Ali also stumbled when he ran into Frazier. But contrast how he rebounded to that setback with how George further plummeted after his loss to Ali.
      while this is true.

he did EVENTUALLY get back on the horse.
      ill give him that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Taylor View Post
        while this is true.

he did EVENTUALLY get back on the horse.
        ill give him that.
        yeah, that helped his legacy immeasurably. I am not even sure that he really did anything amazing that whole time. He was impressive, no doubt, but what did he really do? It was a pretty contrived career, on top of that.

But the fact that he got back on the horse, and proved himself a viable contender for 10 years really erased the stain of his first career.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
          yeah, that helped his legacy immeasurably. I am not even sure that he really did anything amazing that whole time. He was impressive, no doubt, but what did he really do? It was a pretty contrived career, on top of that.

But the fact that he got back on the horse, and proved himself a viable contender for 10 years really erased the stain of his first career.
          contrived? how so?

Comment

Working...
          X