Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did the mafia let clay beat liston?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agree with the two previous posters. Seems pretty clear that neither fight was a fix.

Comment

Just because you find no evidence, doesn't mean it didn't happen. They could've just been really good at hiding any evidence. How do you know it wasn't a cash bet with no betting slip Liston had with his mafia guys agreed upon beforehand?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        Just because you find no evidence, doesn't mean it didn't happen. They could've just been really good at hiding any evidence. How do you know it wasn't a cash bet with no betting slip Liston had with his mafia guys agreed upon beforehand?
        A thread coming back now and then.
        I wrote it before, I believe in the words of Sonny's wife, who knew him best.

Sonny had trained hard and was in a good shape for the rematch in the autumn of '64, when the bout was canceled on short notice.
        During the winter of 64/65, Sonny got struck by depression.

By the time the fight was launched, Feb '65, Sonny was far from top shape, and according to Geraldine (Mrs. Liston), he realized from the first bell he couldn't win this fight. After getting hit by the phantom punch, his mentally status was probably "why should I bother ..."

Even a top-shaped Liston would most likely have lost to Ali that night, but knowing the background (Liston's depression at the time is verified by several sources), it's hard to read any conspiracy theories into the fight.

Comment

Most idiotic comment ever. You base decisions upon EVIDENCE. Otherwise YOU ARE MAKING **** UP!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X