Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Become #1 In Back To Back Divisions In Back To Back Fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    There is talk of Teofimo Lopez fighting the Jose Ramirez vs Josh Taylor winner at 140 next time out after he beat Lomachenko last Saturday to become #1 at 135.

IF this were to happen & IF Teofimo were to win would he be the first to become the #1 guy in back to back divisions in back to back fights or has someone or someone's done this before?

If no one has done this before who's attempted it & come up short?
    What about Sugar Ray Leonard in 1981?

It is ass backwards, moving from the Super Welterweight title (or Junior MW if you go with The Ring rankings) down to the Welterweight title but . .

he beat Ayub Kalule in June for the SWW title (I suppose that made him top of that division) and in his next fight came down to WW and stopped Tommy Hearns in September; making him the unquestioned #1 WW.

Although I recognize one might argue he was already the #1 WW before he defeated Tommy (but to me he wasn't).

Comment

Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
      What about Sugar Ray Leonard in 1981?

It is ass backwards, moving from the Super Welterweight title (or Junior MW if you go with The Ring rankings) down to the Welterweight title but . .

he beat Ayub Kalule in June for the SWW title (I suppose that made him top of that division) and in his next fight came down to WW and stopped Tommy Hearns in September; making him the unquestioned #1 WW.

Although I recognize one might argue he was already the #1 WW before he defeated Tommy (but to me he wasn't).
      Yeah. I had that suggestion also. Still the best suggestion IMO in this thread.
      Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
      Ray Leonard? He beat Kalule who was the clear no1 at 154 followed by Hearns at 147 to claim universal recognition as the welterweight king.

Some here claims Calzaghe, but that can’t be as he was already no 1 at 168 before he defeated Kessler.

Comment

i was wrong about calzaghe. he was already considered champion by the ring magazine. i still support my hearns claim but it is subjective. i'll add an obvious one: henry armstrong in 1938. barney ross then lou ambers for welterweight and lightweight titles in consecutive fights. they were clear no. 1s at the moment so it's not subjective.

edit: leonard has a claim in 1987 and 1988. hagler then lalonde (160 and 168). 160 is obvious and 168 at the end of 1988 is between leonard and obelmejias. ring ratings for 1988 skip supermiddleweight and there in no mention of obelmejias. they mention leonard in middleweight and light heavyweight rankings.
        Last edited by drablj; 10-27-2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X