No announcement yet.

How good was henry armstrong

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sleazyfellow View Post
    This. Armstrong had a very short prime but in it he was great. I'd put Frazier second all time swarmer type of fighter. The stamina Armstrong had was unreal.
    You need to watch a guy named FIGHTING HARADA.

And read about a guy named HARRY GREB.

Comment

Armstrong was great no doubt.

He's also VERY overrated.

Yikes! That's a daring statement. I know. But take a look at the facts, not the Fanboys.

Yes, he won championships in 3 divisions, and should have won a 4th Title, apparently.

But do your OWN research: 1) Analyze BoxRec - read the small print, of you will. 2) Watch the footage.

I have no idea how you place him outside the top 10. That would be r3taaa'ded. But so is ranking him #1.

Again, everyone should come to his own conclusions. But consider that:
      - he was a Lightweight who dropped to Featherweight to beat Petey Sarron, after Miller finally hung the gloves up. (Do you consider Berbick or Douglas great Heavyweights just because they beat great heavyweights?)
      - He won the Ww belt against a natural Jr. Ww who was on the verge of retirement (134 lb. Armstrong beat a 142 lb. Ross, who'd fought men like Canzoneri and McLarnin).
      - His countless title defenses came against absolute nobodies all around the LIGHTWEIGHT limit. Louis and Galaxy have more to brag about. (Stop and think about Armstrong's Welterweight defenses before you insult Finito Lopez again).
      - Garcia seems to have done his best work AFTER fighting Armstrong.
      - Hank clearly dodged Burley. He set the tone that everyone grips about - avoiding Cholly.
      - He lost to Zivic. (Underrated fighter, not an ATG Ww).
      - The fights with Ambers and Angott were very competitive. Sure, that's not a bad thing. But do you really think those guys were as good as others you have seen in that incredible division? Really, would you pick either of them to replicate what Leonard, Williams, Ortiz, Duran, Whitaker, Lomachenko have done, if Hank weren't around?

Sure, I love Armstrong. He's great. But when I joined the internet back in the late 90's as a HighSchool teacher. I saw grown men acting like my girl students were gushing over Backstreet Boys and N'Sync. Kinda gross. Still have a weird taste in my mouth.

Comment

Working...
      X