This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
    It is a very good list if you don't considered it to be ordered.

I like that he included Mike Gibbons, he often goes unnoticed.

Of course it is all opinion; I suspect I would try to squeeze in Jimmy Wilde and maybe Sandy Saddler, but wouldn't know who to take off. Then again I'm really not not sure how to rate Wilde.
    Well said.

Yeah, Gibbons was something special. I really do believe old time Boxers were much more raw than revisionists try to portray them. But leading up to Willie Pep, who probably still deserves to be the definition of the perfect Boxer, there were clearly men laying the groundwork. Gibbons was in that theme. And he showed he could be a very effective finisher, too.

I am torn on Wilde. He looks decent on film. But soooo much of his reputation is built of fable. He's as much a figure of folk lore as he is a real fighter. I don't doubt he hit remarkably hard and was tremendously talented as natural. But I also think that's true of Midget Wolgast.... who goes completely neglected. What about Benny Lynch? He wasn't KO'ing men 50 pounds heavier than himself, but neither were Middleweights anymore during his era: Langford and Fitzsimmons would have never fought Joe Louis in the 30's, their ceiling probably would have been the Light Heavyweight division, if they went that far.

It's a cop out, but with guys like Wilde and Ali whose divisions lie on the periphery and their competition was of questionable value, I believe a top 50 slot is guaranteed, and maybe with strong argument a top 25 spot is warranted, but moving towards the top space should be reserved for the most proven fighters, where greatness was achieved by more than just raw physical talent and grit.

Comment

• It is too hard to put a list but surely Ali can't be no2.

Comment

• Originally posted by hook42 View Post
        1. sugar ray robinson
        2. roy jones jr
        3. rocky marciano
        4. willie pep
        5. muhamad ali
        6. pernell whitaker
        7. sugar ray leonard
        8. henry armstrong
        9. benny leonard
        10. joe louis
        11. harry greb
        12. bob fitzsimmons
        13. roberto duran
        14. marvin hagler
        15. sam langford
        16. jose napoles
        17. julio cesar chavez
        18. hector camoacho
        19. felix trinidad
        20. sugar shane mosley
        - -Back in the day, here 'tis!

Comment

• Let me show you an awful fine list!

1 Marciano
          2 Wilde
          3 Pep
          4 Benny Leonard
          5 Tunney
          6 Greb
          7 Walker
          8 Dempsey
          9 Fitz
          10 Cerdan

I don't know where you could find a finer list with better fighters more skilled! You just can't go wrong with a list like this and, by buggery, you never will.

Comment

• Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            - -I copped this top 10
            P4p from the Esperanto Society.

1 Jack Dempsey
            2 Sam Langford
            3 Charles Liston
            4 Hector Camacho
            5 Sven Ottke
            6 Ironboy Calderron
            7 Mickey Bey, Floyd's boy so 50x TUE testosterone levels, that'd be an unfair fight.
            8 Pinky Toe Haye, best Brit ever.
            9 Goldenboy, nuff said.

And last but not least in the least-
            10 Fat Andy can eat his weight in tacos daily between fights, so if that ain't p4p I dunno what is!
            - -P4P the best list I've ever seen, but I'd addIron Joe Grim as honorable mention.

Comment

• manny pacquiao easy top 1 or 2 or 3 for me..
              mrbig1 mrbig1 dreamroom dreamroom like this.

Comment

• Wondering why Benny Leonard not topping your list.He was special.

navigate drawer slides info here | check this drawer slides out | guidomaggi | guidomaggi.it
                Last edited by JuniEdith; 07-22-2021, 04:41 AM.

Comment

• I'm surprised people don't put Tommy Hearns higher on these lists. Dig:

The Hit Man destroyed Duran in 2 rounds. He beat a prime Benitez, certainly beat SRL in the second fight (called a draw), and wrecked Cuevas. He also beat Sutherland.

Guy fought elite, hall-of-fame caliber fighters and won belts in four divisions.

I have him in my top 10 easily

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
                    These lists are tough. Ray Leonard is too low, in my view. Langford, Walker and Greb are way too high.

And I always wonder why Moore should be ranked over a guy that beat him three times. But people continue to do this.

Robinson at #1 is pretty much a given. After that, nobody agrees on much!
                    I think people put Moore above Charles because of his 220 fights, and he was like 8 years older than him. Moore was 220 -23 and Charles was 95-25. Winning more fights than Charles's total fights both wins and losses, is pretty impressive. Some fighters don't match up well with certain fighters. Charles was more or less a journeyman, though a pretty good one. JMHO It's ironic that they called Charles the "Cincinnati Cobra", and Moore the "Mongoose". Perhaps it should've been the reverse. lol

Last edited by dreamroom; 09-24-2021, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dreamroom View Post

I think people put Moore above Charles because of his 220 fights, and he was like 8 years older than him. Moore was 220 -23 and Charles was 95-25. Winning more fights than Charles's total fights both wins and losses, is pretty impressive. Some fighters don't match up well with certain fighters. Charles was more or less a journeyman, though a pretty good one. JMHO It's ironic that they called Charles the "Cincinnati Cobra", and Moore the "Mongoose". Perhaps it should've been the reverse. lol
                      - -Charles an all time LH and P4P fighter with multiple defenses of the unified hvy title past his best weight.

What grade U in?

Comment

Working...
                      X