No announcement yet.

If Dempsey Never Was??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Dempsey Never Was??

I always wondered if. Say Dempsey never meant Kearns. Its doubtful that either him or Kearns would have made it to the top without each other.
    If there was no Dempsey how the heavyweight picture would have panned out during that time period. Rickard never wanted Dempsey vs Willard.
    He figured Dempsey wasn't big enough. He wanted Fulton vs Willard. He only went with Dempsey because he was in Rickards mind the only logical contender.
    Because Rickard wasn't going to promote any of the Black Contenders vs Willard.. Then again without Dempsey we might not have this forum because it only because Dempsey boxing gained widespread popularity
    How Would it have panned out?

Dempsey launched boxing to another level. He rivaled Babe Ruth in popularity and surpassed him in wealth. The first true boxing icon who paved the way for Louis, Marciano, Ali etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jack p View Post
      I always wondered if. Say Dempsey never meant Kearns. Its doubtful that either him or Kearns would have made it to the top without each other.
      If there was no Dempsey how the heavyweight picture would have panned out during that time period. Rickard never wanted Dempsey vs Willard.
      He figured Dempsey wasn't big enough. He wanted Fulton vs Willard. He only went with Dempsey because he was in Rickards mind the only logical contender.
      Because Rickard wasn't going to promote any of the Black Contenders vs Willard.. Then again without Dempsey we might not have this forum because it only because Dempsey boxing gained widespread popularity
      How Would it have panned out?
      - -For that to happen, you'd have never been born to live long enough to propose such.

Or, what if you had been born a caveman girl? Would you have the prescience to formulate such advanced sagacity onto your cave wall?

We wanna know!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
        Dempsey launched boxing to another level. He rivaled Babe Ruth in popularity and surpassed him in wealth. The first true boxing icon who paved the way for Louis, Marciano, Ali etc.
        Probably that was Sullivan and Corbett. But Dempsey definitely ressurected it. He is also very film-friendly.

Without Dempsey, we might see Gibbons/Loughran and Wills battle it out over the title. Legendary stuff in itself. Maybe Greb even wins the belt - epic stuff.

Tunney still becomes champion. Maybe he even holds the title longer.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
          - -For that to happen, you'd have never been born to live long enough to propose such.

Or, what if you had been born a caveman girl? Would you have the prescience to formulate such advanced sagacity onto your cave wall?

We wanna know!
          no i mean all it takes is
          Dempsey having never meant Kearns. Its doubtful that either him or Kearns would have made it to the top without each other. i mean would we have a black champ before Louis

Comment

Originally posted by jack p View Post
            no i mean all it takes is
            Dempsey having never meant Kearns. Its doubtful that either him or Kearns would have made it to the top without each other. i mean would we have a black champ before Louis
            - -Already had a black champ before Louis that you wanted to colorize.

What if Ali never had Dundee?

What if I had graduated from HS with $100 mil trust inheritance?

What if you had been born in Timbuktu?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Boxing today is straight backed upright, one punch and clinch.

Boxers today are much poorer.

Comment

To the OP:
                  This question you ask. if we really look at it philosophically...and not merely if Dempsey had/had not met someone, becomes much more interesting.

Some have proposed that the times make the champ. The 1920's demanded a super star... would it still be so, sans Jack D?

I like to think of it romantically because it is more fun: So one fine day I wake up and notice the room is the same, except the chair I fall asleep in is on the other side of the room...How odd!

And! what is this? Rosco and beans, well beans looks the same but Rosco is a different dog! What the hell! and my wife? phew! still the same ok, why is she looking at me? "Your daughter needs a lift" WHAT!!!!!? I have no DAUGHTERS!!! I have two sons WHAT IS GOING ON?

Well after catching myself and realizing I am in a different time line, boxing has remained the same...except that Lefty has is a churl, Queen B is the head mod of the section, and the only one who understands is my brother from another mother, Shoulder Roll. I text him what has happened and we both agree that this is another time line, thank god he wasn't affected!

Anyhow in boxing one thing is peculiar: There was no Dempsey. So what happened instead? Lets see....

Gunboat smith beats Fireman flyn in feb 1916 and holds the belt. In the summer of 1919 Jess Willard destroys Smith...He breaks his jaw in two places, crushes ribs, etc. Willard is declared the best puncher, and even writes a book about how to deliver punches...thoughthe book is ghost written by a man by the name of george Dempsey... Willard along with other fighters ushers in an age of selective punches, combination punching and squaring up, using small movement at a closer fighting distance.

Willard will lose the title to Gene Tunney and things resume from there, as before.

As I read this I felt a flash and I saw stars, suddenly I was back in my own timeline.

Comment

To the OP:
                    This question you ask. if we really look at it philosophically...and not merely if Dempsey had/had not met someone, becomes much more interesting.

Some have proposed that the times make the champ. The 1920's demanded a super star... would it still be so, sans Jack D?

I like to think of it romantically because it is more fun: So one fine day I wake up and notice the room is the same, except the chair I fall asleep in is on the other side of the room...How odd!

And! what is this? Rosco and beans, well beans looks the same but Rosco is a different dog! What the hell! and my wife? phew! still the same ok, why is she looking at me? "Your daughter needs a lift" WHAT!!!!!? I have no DAUGHTERS!!! I have two sons WHAT IS GOING ON?

Well after catching myself and realizing I am in a different time line, boxing has remained the same...except that Lefty has is a churl, Queen B is the head mod of the section, and the only one who understands is my brother from another mother, ShoulderRoll . I text him what has happened and we both agree that this is another time line, thank god he wasn't affected!

Anyhow in boxing one thing is peculiar: There was no Dempsey. So what happened instead? Lets see....

Gunboat smith beats Fireman flyn in feb 1916 and holds the belt. In the summer of 1919 Jess Willard destroys Smith...He breaks his jaw in two places, crushes ribs, etc. Willard is declared the best puncher, and even writes a book about how to deliver punches...thoughthe book is ghost written by a man by the name of george Dempsey... Willard along with other fighters ushers in an age of selective punches, combination punching and squaring up, using small movement at a closer fighting distance.

Willard will lose the title to Gene Tunney and things resume from there, as before.

As I read this I felt a flash and I saw stars, suddenly I was back in my own timeline.

Comment

Working...
                    X