Duran Tactics to Attack Mayweather's Shell Defense

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duran Tactics to Attack Mayweather's Shell Defense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZSlFKvk4qI

Embedded for you. Nice find by the way. Duran the master breaking it down. Of course it takes an exceptional talent like a prime Duran to execute those tactics, not everyone can pull it off.

Comment

via GIPHY

He'd land a left hook to the body but countered with a clean right hand, not sure if it's a worthy trade off.

Anyway it's a genuine 50/50, would be one of my first picks of a fantasy fight to make a reality.
      Last edited by Caught Square; 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caught Square View Post

via GIPHY

He'd land a left hook to the body but countered with a clean right hand, not sure if it's a worthy trade off.

Anyway it's a genuine 50/50, would be one of my first picks of a fantasy fight to make a reality.
        A terrible example. I've been saying for a long time that Canelo throws his punches too wide and is telegraphing them. That's exactly how GGG won most of the exchanges against him, despite having a much slower hand speed.

Another problem is, Duran is telling you he'd do differently - he would throw a liver shot AFTER slipping outside of Floyd's straight right. It's a another story if he would be able to do it, but you just compared 2 totally different approaches, mistakingly thinking Canelo was doing exactly what Duran was talking about, because you didn't pay a close attention to how different Canelo's approach was.
        Last edited by Offic.Scorecard; 06-19-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Offic.Scorecard View Post
          A terrible example. I've been saying for a long time that Canelo throws his punches too wide and is telegraphing them. That's exactly how GGG won most of the exchanges against him, despite having a much slower hand speed.

Another problem is, Duran is telling you he'd do differently - he would throw a liver shot AFTER slipping outside of Floyd's straight right. It's a another story if he would be able to do it, but you just compared 2 totally different approaches, mistakingly thinking Canelo was doing exactly what Duran was talking about, because you didn't pay a close attention to how different Canelo's approach was.
          Canelo is no Duran of course but the example is not really that different, in a demonstration vid with Marcos Villegas throwing a slow returning right hand of course he would slip it but in real time against Floyd as soon as he hit his arms with the 2nd shot he would already have been caught by the counter right.

Comment

Canelo is no Duran of course but the example is not really that different, in a demonstration vid with Marcos Villegas throwing a slow returning right hand of course he would slip it but in real time against Floyd as soon as he hit his arms with the 2nd shot he would already have been caught by the counter right.
            But man, that's just what I stated in my previous post - It's another conversation how successful Duran would be in doing so. Still, however, I assure you those are 2 completely different scenarios - Canelo is throwing the left hook immediately after thowing the right hand, without expecting (or being prepared) for Floyd's counter (which shows again that Canelo's ring IQ isn't even a 5% of Duran's ring IQ) plus he threw 3 punches in the same rhythm. Duran on the other hand has a whole different approach: Meaning that he's exactly looking to set up Floyd for a counter, by WAITING FOR (unlike Canelo) Floyd's right hand counter and than slip it and counter the counter.

Basically,
            Canelo's mindset: "Let's throw a fast 1-2-3 combo, not thinking what Floyd is going to do"
            Duran's mindset: "Let's throw a 1-2 in order to bait in Floyd's straight right that I'm expecting him to throw after my 2 piece, than slip outside of it and counter Floyd's counter"

Comment

But man, that's just what I stated in my previous post - It's another conversation how successful Duran would be in doing so. Still, however, I assure you those are 2 completely different scenarios - Canelo is throwing the left hook immediately after thowing the right hand, without expecting (or being prepared) for Floyd's counter (which shows again that Canelo's ring IQ isn't even a 5% of Duran's ring IQ) plus he threw 3 punches in the same rhythm. Duran on the other hand has a whole different approach: Meaning that he's exactly looking to set up Floyd for a counter, by WAITING FOR (unlike Canelo) Floyd's right hand counter and than slip it and counter the counter.

Basically,
              Canelo's mindset: "Let's throw a fast 1-2-3 combo, not thinking what Floyd is going to do"
              Duran's mindset: "Let's throw a 1-2 in order to bait in Floyd's straight right that I'm expecting him to throw after my 2 piece, than slip outside of it and counter Floyd's counter"
              I understand what you mean about his mindset but I stand by my main point which is that the scenarios aren’t ‘completely different’ and the end outcome would be similar in real time against Floyd because he wouldn’t have the time to ‘wait for’ Floyd to land the counter right. In the demonstration Duran’s second bait shot is the left hook to the body and he then counters the slow returning right with another left hook to the body. I don’t see how he pulls that off in real time without getting hit by the counter right first. The bait left hook to the body would leave him in an awkward position to be able to avoid the sharp counter right with another counter left hook (in real time).However, like I said he could land the left hook and get hit with the right hand simultaneously.

Just to be clear, my original post wasn’t about the mindset of Canelo compared to Duran (although you gave an interesting insight) it was just that I see a similar outcome in that similar exchange, which I don’t think favours Duran.

Comment

I understand what you mean about his mindset but I stand by my main point which is that the scenarios aren’t ‘completely different’ and the end outcome would be similar in real time against Floyd because he wouldn’t have the time to ‘wait for’ Floyd to land the counter right. In the demonstration Duran’s second bait shot is the left hook to the body and he then counters the slow returning right with another left hook to the body. I don’t see how he pulls that off in real time without getting hit by the counter right first. The bait left hook to the body would leave him in an awkward position to be able to avoid the sharp counter right with another counter left hook (in real time).However, like I said he could land the left hook and get hit with the right hand simultaneously.

Just to be clear, my original post wasn’t about the mindset of Canelo compared to Duran (although you gave an interesting insight) it was just that I see a similar outcome in that similar exchange, which I don’t think favours Duran.
                Honestly I still completely disagree with you and I'm 100% sure what I'm saying is true, so are you, so there's no chance for any of us changing each others mind, but it's all good, we can just move on.

By the way if Pacquiao was able to visibly outcounter Floyd, I personally have no doubts Duran could.

Comment

via GIPHY

- -Reality check por favor.

I remember tiny Jesus Chavez mullering TUE 50-0 at 130, and Castillo brutalizing him at 135, two back to back fights

What 135-147 Duran does to daddy's boy would prob result in criminal charges in VegaT any rate Daddy steers TUE away from Duran just like he did Manny.

Comment

Honestly I still completely disagree with you and I'm 100% sure what I'm saying is true, so are you, so there's no chance for any of us changing each others mind, but it's all good, we can just move on.

By the way if Pacquiao was able to visibly outcounter Floyd, I personally have no doubts Duran could.
                    Fair enough.

As for Pacquiao visibly outcountering Floyd I don't know about that but even if that were true that's completely irrelevant because he fight nothing like Duran and in a potential prime fantasy matchup with Floyd and Duran no one is going to use a 38 year old Floyd vs a prime Duran.

Comment

Working...
                    X