No announcement yet.

Joe Louis Runs the Gauntlet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
    Andre had acromegaly that made him 7' and 350 lbs of an agile nightmare.
    Why do all the Klitards say that Carnera had acromegaly therefore he was weak ?

Andre- agile !

Brock Lesnar was arguably the strongest man in human history and he was only 6'2”. Mark Henry- the greatest power-lifter of all time was only 6'2". Eddie Hall is only 6'1". Apollon was 6'3". Louis Cyr was only 5'8" yet he could literally lift Andre with a finger !

Wilt Chamberlain was shorter and much skinnier and smaller than Andre yet once when they had a competition to find out who was stronger Wilt completely demolished him.
    Last edited by Dempsey19; 07-12-2019, 12:37 PM.

Comment

- - Don't know any tards save yer developing tardumb.

Brock obviously out of modern day vitamins, but at least you recognize there are various abnormally strong among the populace other than yer weak sister Lewie who at least leveraged his skills into a decent career, yet no different than Andre in that regard.

Now, what this has to do with Joe Louis who would demolish all in a boxing ring is a subject for a separate discussion.

Comment

- - Don't know any tards save yer developing tardumb.

Brock obviously out of modern day vitamins, but at least you recognize there are various abnormally strong among the populace other than yer weak sister Lewie who at least leveraged his skills into a decent career, yet no different than Andre in that regard.

Now, what this has to do with Joe Louis who would demolish all in a boxing ring is a subject for a separate discussion.
        Just saying that size doesn't matter after a point.

Tyson's whole career was built on using his small size to his advantage. I believe it was Teddy Atlas who once said,"there's less room for defensive error versus the smaller fighter". Ali said that Marciano was not nearly as great or as beautiful as him but because of his short height and awkward style he wasn't sure he could beat him.

Patterson's height and reach was a disadvantage for his swarming peekaboo style, that is why with Tyson, Cus made him do exercises to stunt his growth, why would Cus do that if being short couldn't be an advantage ? Why would he not want Tyson to be 6'6" ?

PS: Are you scottish or irish by any chance ?
        Last edited by Dempsey19; 04-17-2019, 11:20 AM.

Comment

- -Are you boxing or 'rasslin'?

Comment

When you get to the cream of the cream in ATG's, just about everyone will have trouble with everyone else. There are exceptions. Some people claim to have seen footage of a younger Louis whose feet were actually quick. I have not seen said footage.

Comment

- -The Louis style was based upon efficiency, not stooopid meaningless showy footwork.

Comment

- -The Louis style was based upon efficiency, not stooopid meaningless showy footwork.
                I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but this is true - Foreman and Shavers used the same method. Ali himself said for every 3 steps he took, Foreman took 1 so he was forced to lie on the ropes. As mechnical as he looked (foreman) Ali said he was well schooled.

shavers explains this type of foot work in a video with smitty on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVgnfPsYfz4

Comment

Originally posted by Granath View Post
                  Except it doesn't do that. Usyk is 6'3" and 200 pounds - bigger than both Tunney and Dempsey. Foreman was bigger in both weight and height than Holmes and is ranked higher on many ATG lists.
                  Well Haye's height is exaggerated and he seemed the same height as Bellew who seemed like he was the same height as Usyk. I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually shorter than the 6'1" Tunney, he was probably shorter than the 6'2" Dempsey.

Holmes and Foreman are the same height honestly, one can put them in any order.

Comment

When did the topic become about the world's strongest man? I pick John Henry, he beat a steam engine you know.

As for the topic at hand, I can say for sure Louis beats every heavyweight before him and with relative ease. How he goes against the hw monsters of today who knows. If given modern training methods and "vitamins" he might of ended up taller than 6'1, maybe 6'4 with the hgh if he had it pumped into him when younger and about 220-230. He'd stand a chance against anyone especially if he punched the same.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                      duran did beat guys twice his size, and he did it when he was overweight and undertrained.
                      Right. One of my earliest Boxing memories is of the news replaying Duran's KO of barkley. He also nearly foiled hagler - a much more complete fighter than Marciano?

Who is to say Duran can't KO Marciano? They're about the same height and have about the same reach.

For the record, Fury and Vitali are just taller, foreman is an example of someone who is bigger in frame.
                      Foreman got out-boxed by Ali and Young. But some how he magically assumes these powers where he can beat Fury?!!?! I honestly wonder if you've ever seen a Foreman fight. At least anything beyond the Frazier and Moorer fights.

Fury got nearly koed by cunning ham lol. That guy prob could make 175 on an old boxing boxing regimen.
                      Fury made a tactical mistake coming forward. A 215 lb. man caught him off-balance.

We get it. It's your Crusade to let everyone know that as a result of changes in rules, diet, training and medicine fighters enter the ring at much heavier weights than they would have in previous generations. A contemporary fighter with a smaller frame than a fighter of an earlier era might way (much) heavier. on fight night. No one is disputing that. The details are a little more nuanced (bulk-up, then cut-down means that a lot of today's fighters are also sneaking into divisions they're too big for). But we all agree.

None of that changes physics of course. You can't prove what Cunningham might have weighed in the 70's. At best you can make a good guess. But you just don't know. And, really, it doesn't matter. Not one bit. Because what we do know is that a 215 lb. man caught Fury w/ a power punch. The laws of physics are real. They are provable.

I've never one seen a physics problem that preficed "now this moving object would have been lighter in the 1970s because training methods were different..." I know a lot of engineers, should i poll them and ask if they give two ****s about irrelevant details like that?

Comment

Working...
                      X