Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be your top 10 welterweights of all time ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- -Prob with Duran is, what, a half dozen fights at welter.

Duran belongs at the top of lightweights and p4p rankings, but a motivated Duran first jumping into the welts to pound out the latest American candyboy Leonard definitely could beat every welt who ever lived.

Shame about his piggish lifestyle, but he was so good he made that also part of his legend.

Comment

Johnson
      Brown
      Davis Jr
      Jackson
      Smith
      Barnett
      Taylor
      Mendes
      De la Hoya
      Williamson

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
        - -Prob with Duran is, what, a half dozen fights at welter.

Duran belongs at the top of lightweights and p4p rankings, but a motivated Duran first jumping into the welts to pound out the latest American candyboy Leonard definitely could beat every welt who ever lived.

Shame about his piggish lifestyle, but he was so good he made that also part of his legend.
        Yeah, his fights w/ Cuevas, Palomino and Leonard might be three of the finest performances there ever were. Certainly they're near the best on film.

I often wonder how history might've played out differently if he had planned to unify the belt w/ Hearns, instead of rematch Leonard. He definitely wouldn't have gone off the rails, like he did in reality. And even if he lost to Hearns, he would've gotten a pass from the fans. Probably he would've gotten the first shot at Leonard, whenever he got around to beating Hearns. Again, I think he would have been more motivated for that rematch, than he was in reality.

Comment

You boys need a lot of help. Move over for a real list.

1 SRR
          2 SRL
          3 Mickey Walker
          4 Sam Langford
          5 Hearns
          6 Gavilan
          7 Benitez
          8 Duran
          9 Hoya
          10 Mayweather
          11 Napoles
          Last edited by The Old LefHook; 02-27-2019, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
            You boys need a lot of help. Move over for a real list.

1 SRR
            2 SRL
            3 Mickey Walker
            4 Sam Langford
            5 Hearns
            6 Gavilan
            7 Benitez
            8 Duran
            9 Hoya
            10 Mayweather
            11 Napoles
            What footage of Langford have you seen that makes you believe he's a top 10 Ww?

Why not rank MacFarland. Footage of him suggests he really could hang with the best.

Napoles is rated too low.

Comment

I'll preface this with some people I have seen on here who I don't rank. Duran, didn't fight enough as a WW for me, his peak was at Light and he had a cup of coffee at welter while moving up. Whittaker is similar, hes an ATG light weight, not enough at welter; Pac, best work came at lower weights, not enough at welter.
              Armstrong is hard for me. I have him p4p all time top 5, and he had a decent run as ww champ, but a lot of his ww fights came with him fighting as a lightweight fighting guys under 140.
              Walker to me had a short stay at welter, though a great MW (same for Burley who I see as a MW); Langford was mostly fighting 170s-180s.

1-SRR
              2-SRL
              3-Napoles
              4-Hearns
              5-Griffith
              6-Gavilan
              7-Floyd (the PBF version at lighter weights better than MM, rank him higher P4P than just welter)
              8-Barney Ross
              9-Basilio
              10- Oscar or Tito (probably Tito)

Comment

Too many guys can out speed Napoles. Not fast enough to hang with the all time cream.

Comment

- -PAC a welter since he jumped 2 div to retire Oscar.

That's a long time and a lotta p4p quality welts he beat.

He's definitely legit in any top ten, but where becomes a beauty contest.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    - -PAC a welter since he jumped 2 div to retire Oscar.

That's a long time and a lotta p4p quality welts he beat.

He's definitely legit in any top ten, but where becomes a beauty contest.
                    Maybe I unfairly downgrade Pac at welter because I find him relatively better at lower weights. He does have some decent scalps there-Mosley, Bradley, etc.

Although I've never given him much credit for the ODH win as I felt Oscar was pretty much cooked by then.

Comment

Originally posted by SheenLantern View Post
                      Leonard

Hearns

Mayweather

Pacquiao

Duran

Whitaker

De La Hoya

Mosley

Benitez

Trinidad
                      This list here is about right. The longer you think about questions like this, the more fighters you remember and it becomes harder to make a list of just 10.

Comment

Working...
                      X