Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those who say Tyson never faced a real challenger during his prime how about Tucker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    Its great to see you posting again Mugs!! Tucker actually did want to change his nickname to M80 but it didn't sound so good...
    Thanks billeau2. It's good to be back! I didn't know that Tucker thought about changing his nickname. "TNT" is kind of a blessing and a curse. It evokes imagery of a fighter's head exploding like the watermelon in The Day of the Jackal. The *problem* is when reality doesn't live up to expectation.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      Tucker, Biggs, Thomas, Tubbs, were all legit HWs during that era. Because Tyson made easy work of them should not tarnish them as fighters. Biggs was an Olympic gold medalist, beat Lewis in the '84 Olympics. Tyson often gave up a substantial height advantage over these HWs.
      I agree, Trevor Berbick was as well. Had just beat Tomas If I recall. Bruno was a becoming a name back then as well. Bone Crusher, Tillis was considered solid HW went 15 with Holmes. Spinks was the man at the time. Tyson fought almost every one who was available at the time except Tim Witherspoon and a few others. Of course would have enjoyed him facing Bowe and Forman later. Homes was on the decline so was the perfect time for him to come along with Spinks as champ being as small as he was. That was tuckers best Performance yet a losing one. He made a decent showing could have done more in that fight. Gassed a bit towards the end. He dint look great beating Buster but stopped him around rd 11. Douglas was like 40/1 underdog in there fight. Holyfild was 42/1 under dog when the fight was announced, many thought he was washed up and Mike had just KO'd Bruno again in 5rds I think, so some thought Mike would walk through him Literally think I was the only one in my neighborhood who gave Holyfield a chance. I was actually telling people even if he doesn't win he Holyfield will Knock down Tyson at some point that he wasn't scared of Tyson like many believed at the time and guess what!!! Casual boxing fans back then still thought Tyson was god. Tyson also KOed Carl (the Truth)Williams in 1rd, I believe right before his fight with Buster. That's all I got.

Comment

Tucker was probably Tysons best win. Cause Tucker was prime and a decent fighter. Holmes and Spinks were retired when they got lured in on short notice for a payday.

That being said Tucker is tough but didn't come to win.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          Tucker was probably Tysons best win. Cause Tucker was prime and a decent fighter. Holmes and Spinks were retired when they got lured in on short notice for a payday.

That being said Tucker is tough but didn't come to win.
          Who was Tucker's best win ?

Comment

Originally posted by sentax View Post
            Tony Tucker IBF champ, this was a hard knock-down drag-out fight that Tyson prevailed

It's a myth that Tyson never fought anyone good. His challengers were at least on the level of most other challengers fought by prior and following heavyweight champions. Most prime champions don't get to fight another prime ATG. And if you're comparing Tyson's challengers to the 70's, if you take away the big 3 (Frazier, Foreman and Ali) then you can't really say that the 70's contenders were that much superior to the 80s. For example, regardless of whom you'd pick to win, it's not a foregone conclusion that Jerry Quarry would have beaten Michael Spinks. Or that Norton would have just demolished Tony Tubbs or that Oscar Bonavena would have beaten 38 year old Larry Holmes. Or that Mac Foster would have steam rolled Trevor Berbick or that Ron Lyle just pushes over Pinklon Thomas.

All of those fights, regardless as to who wins or loses, have the potential to be very competitive. And likely would be competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle ben View Post
              It's a myth that Tyson never fought anyone good. His challengers were at least on the level of most other challengers fought by prior and following heavyweight champions. Most prime champions don't get to fight another prime ATG. And if you're comparing Tyson's challengers to the 70's, if you take away the big 3 (Frazier, Foreman and Ali) then you can't really say that the 70's contenders were that much superior to the 80s. For example, regardless of whom you'd pick to win, it's not a foregone conclusion that Jerry Quarry would have beaten Michael Spinks. Or that Norton would have just demolished Tony Tubbs or that Oscar Bonavena would have beaten 38 year old Larry Holmes. Or that Mac Foster would have steam rolled Trevor Berbick or that Ron Lyle just pushes over Pinklon Thomas.

All of those fights, regardless as to who wins or loses, have the potential to be very competitive. And likely would be competitive.
              The "potential" to be competitive and ... erm ... reality are two different things. Irrespective of their careers, natural talent etc. some of Tyson's biggest opponents (Thomas, Berbick and Spinks) looked as though they had given up before entering the ring. As for Bonecrusher - I'm sure that not a day went by following his defeat that he didn't wish he'd opened up earlier than the final round. A shambles of a performance.

Comment

he faced everyone with a title, you bunch of jokers. Nothing is bigger except an elite like tucker, or ATG like holyfield, lewis

Comment

Tony was a good fighter, but never truly developed due to injury and managerial problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite76 View Post
                    Tony was a good fighter, but never truly developed due to injury and managerial problems.
                    - -His initial mgr/trainer had been his daddy who steered him as a beltholder and undefeated into the Tyson fight.

Guaranteed they thought they could beat the snot nosed midget, but after some early exchanges, Tucker took flight in a run and jab strategy that was more survival in hopes the kid not used to the distance would wear out.

King paid daddy in cash with the predictable abandonment of family and King became his daddy.

And we know how that goes. The only King fighters able to retire with intact finances were Holmes who was helped by a loving wife and Tex Cobb.

Tony an A+ talent with a mental fragility that a King could easily exploit much as he did Tyson and others.

Comment

Not a fan of Tyson, but he fought the best of his era.
                      Tucker, Tubbs, Spinks, Bruno, Williams ...
                      What the h*ll is required to be considered a real challenge? ...

Comment

Working...
                      X