Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kayo artist Bob Foster

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- -Thing about Roy was zero sparring partners exist to even come close to such a one off, unorthodox and unpredictable style coupled with true natural athleticism. None of the fake stuff the media crows about.

And Roy plenty enough power to knock Foster out, but yeah, Foster holds one of the ultimate get out of Jail cards , so like most posed fights between greats, it'd be intriguing for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
      Idon't think we ever saw Roy at his best. There was no one good enough to bring that out of him. However, I think he's skilled enough and smart enough to make it a very long night for Foster. He'll have to rely on exactly those skills which he seemed to purposefully disregard in his career, but I'm sure he had in his toolbox.

To Foster's advantage: 1) more rounds, 2) smaller gloves, 3) a scary long jab, 4) face-melting power.

It is hard to call a winner, but I suspect Foster eventually gets him out of there late in the fight. I just don't know how good of a pure-Boxer Jones was; and how long he could stay on his bike before tiring and settling on the ropes. Both men, on their best night, are going to make it a classic.
      The numbers favor Bob Foster... Actually, this is going to sound really stupid but I think it might be so: tarver is some ways was a version of Foster...Not nearly as dangerous. Tarver was b rangy, had good power, was decent at boxing punching with an inclination towards the punching... Foster was just so much better, but the blue print is similar. When Tarver beat Roy he didn't go for the feints, he just walked him down and into a big punch. Foster could do this in similar fashion and a lot more brutally.

I cannot figure what Roy does to keep Foster off of him. Even at his best Roy does not do well getting hit. Lou Devalle knocked him down! Later we see that a determined pressure, activity guy like Gen JOhnson gets to him. Foster was a lot bigger and stronger (despite the weight) than Ruiz imo.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
        - -Thing about Roy was zero sparring partners exist to even come close to such a one off, unorthodox and unpredictable style coupled with true natural athleticism. None of the fake stuff the media crows about.

And Roy plenty enough power to knock Foster out, but yeah, Foster holds one of the ultimate get out of Jail cards , so like most posed fights between greats, it'd be intriguing for sure.

No way Jones stops him. Look at the effort Foster put up against Ali and Frazier... Jones couldn't hurt John Ruiz. How does he stop Foster!?!?!?

Roid Jones was a PED masterpiece. He also thrived in an era absent of talent. We saw, as he faded, what little there was of substance. How can you act like Roy stops Foster!?!?

He's going to box. If he can do it successfully for 15 rounds is the question.

Comment

- -plenty of talent in Roy's era and he dominated p4p peers Popkins and Toney as well as the other comp in a fashion nobody had seen before. Ducked by Field also. At his best he'd do it against Foster, but again, a dangerous fight if Foster does crack him.

I only do best to best matchups, otherwise I'd be claiming to beat Ali when he was obviously sick, hardly an indication of his prime.

Just as only a miscreant would wash out all of Roy's physical gifts when he was young and invincible, and we can't ignore how spinks easily took away Holmes jab and made him gunshy.

Foster was KOed by Doug Jones, a fighter the same size as Roy with not nearly the sublime reflexes, timing, and angles.

That's what makes these intriguing match ups.

Spinks with his size, chin, awkward style and jinx would have a better chance against both.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
            - -plenty of talent in Roy's era and he dominated p4p peers Popkins and Toney as well as the other comp in a fashion nobody had seen before. Ducked by Field also. At his best he'd do it against Foster, but again, a dangerous fight if Foster does crack him.

I only do best to best matchups, otherwise I'd be claiming to beat Ali when he was obviously sick, hardly an indication of his prime.

Just as only a miscreant would wash out all of Roy's physical gifts when he was young and invincible, and we can't ignore how spinks easily took away Holmes jab and made him gunshy.

Foster was KOed by Doug Jones, a fighter the same size as Roy with not nearly the sublime reflexes, timing, and angles.

That's what makes these intriguing match ups.

Spinks with his size, chin, awkward style and jinx would have a better chance against both.

LOL, so he can't stop Ruiz and then you bring up a green Hopkins...

Again, no reason to believe he stops Foster. Probably he gasses, winds up on the ropes and suffers the same fate man far tougher than he had.

Spinks is a tough nut to crack. But if Qawi can put him on the mat, why can't Foster? How does Spinks negotiate a jab as good as Holmes, from a guy who can follow it up with more punishing punches?

You needed to move to beat Foster. Even then he had a great jab to keep things competitive. I like guys like Loughran and Conn who'll move. Tunney and Charles are even better choices since they can box, and they can handle anything Foster dishes out. Moore is a pick'em... I think Moore is just a little too slick, too resilient and his own offense too sharp. You just can't rule Foster out against him, though, if he can keep him at range or force a fire fight.

Comment

- -Time to study up Rusty, or perhaps you're just a bit rusty and need some sparring to sharpen you up.

Roy was also green going up against a bigger, more mature man moving down from LH to middle where he stayed for eons.

Suffered a broken right early and still dominated him with footwork and jab, the very definition of an ATG in his early years.

Yeah, but we get you don't like Roy, period, and that's ok!

Comment

Working...
              X